Forrest 6 Hour - June 5 2011

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Also, can I just point out a serious congratulations deserved: Eliza, who was paired with Jess through winning Giant's competition and has never done a race before - lap times consistently quicker than the 5th fastest solo male rider or any of the solo women. Nice work!
Without diminishing her effort, weren't the solo laps a longer distance then the team laps? Its not really comparing apples with apples.

akashra

Eats Squid
Without diminishing her effort, weren't the solo laps a longer distance then the team laps? Its not really comparing apples with apples.
Fair call, I completely forgot about that :) Evidently my brain is fried after a long day. Still though, even within the teams it's nothing to talk down.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Let me put it into perspective: It was so bad, our sweep* rider was unable to safely ride some remaining sections of the track, and it had to be done on foot.

Also, can I just point out a serious congratulations deserved: Eliza, who was paired with Jess through winning Giant's competition and has never done a race before - lap times consistently quicker than the 5th fastest solo male rider or any of the solo women. Nice work!

Edit 2: No pun related to my avatar is intended.
Biggest dissapointment of the day

"Tell me Roland's avatar on rotorburn to win a prize" No takers - in fact it even took me a few minutes to remember!!

Shame rotoburners' shame.

And what fell from the sky is officially classed as rain by a Forrest local. Even WALKING most of Marriner's as sweep adds a new dimension to the event

Roland

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Biggest dissapointment of the day

"Tell me Roland's avatar on rotorburn to win a prize" No takers - in fact it even took me a few minutes to remember!!

Shame rotoburners' shame.

Roland
I would have got that had I made it to the presentation area early enough after recovering from mild hypothermia.:p

I have to say a big thanks to the club, their sponsors and all the volunteers for a very well run event. The split courses worked extremely well.

I'm very happy with 2nd in 40+ solo again this year. Maybe next year I'll do some training:p. The single speed held up well, lost the chain just once on the second last lap.

The highlight for me was riding with Peta and Niki for about five or six laps. Those girls have got some amazing skills.:cool: I couldn't shake them in the technical stuff.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done Steve. Nice effort to back up. I hope you had a ball:cool:

I would have got that had I made it to the presentation area early enough after recovering from mild hypothermia.:p

I have to say a big thanks to the club, their sponsors and all the volunteers for a very well run event. The split courses worked extremely well.

I'm very happy with 2nd in 40+ solo again this year. Maybe next year I'll do some training:p. The single speed held up well, lost the chain just once on the second last lap.

The highlight for me was riding with Peta and Niki for about five or six laps. Those girls have got some amazing skills.:cool: I couldn't shake them in the technical stuff.

H..

Cannon Fodder
What a great event! :D
My first time at the Forrest 6 hour, in female pairs category. Loved the course and the organisation by the club was fantastic. As a really slow rider, thanks to all the encouragement given by faster riders as they went past me. Everyone was prepared to wait if there wasn't room to pass, and I never felt pressured or hassled by faster riders. Thats one of the things I love about mountain biking :)

Big thanks to Tony (rider #50) who stopped and helped me when I came off at one stage, much appreciated. He showed genuine concern and was in no rush to leave me until he knew I was ok.

btothec

Likes Dirt
I would like to know if any one got some lap distance figures for the solo course.
Solo lap on my garmin averaged out around 9.6 km. That said I did have pretty flakey satellite coverage during the day. Another solo rider I talked to said that on his cat eye it averaged out around 10.6 km. Be interesting to know which was closer to the mark.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Solo lap on my garmin averaged out around 9.6 km. That said I did have pretty flakey satellite coverage during the day. Another solo rider I talked to said that on his cat eye it averaged out around 10.6 km. Be interesting to know which was closer to the mark.
I did some calculations based on lap times and average speed, and came out at about 9.9km.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Thank you everyone

A big shout out to all our competitors... I can speak on behalf of all of our club when I say that it really is you the folks that come along, that truly make our little event what it has become.
It still amazes just how many of the "establishment" don't come along to our event, yet we still sell out and I think this lack of "regulars" is sometimes what makes our event unique.
I've never seen so many "ordinary" riders out there having a ball... toe clips, cotton T-Shirts and all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks for all the kind words throughout the day.

A massive thanks to all those volunteers who made mine and Roland's job so much easier.
For me the really amazing point came, when Mayor Brian Crook (Mayor of Colac Otway Shire), said to me... "I'm just blown away by what such a small club has done".
Getting our type of events seen by mainstreamers is crucial to the acceptance of our sport.
There will be a write up on RideForrest.com.au once I recover.

pchdisco3

Likes Bikes
All I'd like to say is that you guys and gals organise a terrific event which you should be so proud of.

I've never ridden in Forrest before and all I've ever heard is that it is a fantastic place to ride, which it is. The hard work that was put into the course certainly paid off and made the course very enjoyable. Those berms are just awesome, even though I was stuffed I had to go out one more time to do those berms again, 9 times just wasn't enough :D

Thank you very much to all involved for a great event and venue.

I'll certainly be back again for more.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
An awesome day! Norm, Roland the rest of the Forrest crew know how to put on a good race! Was my first 6 hour race and I was worried I wouldn't last the distance but the shouts of encouragement from those in transition as well as the other riders really lifted my spirits when I was tiring. 10 laps for me in the 6 hours was enough!
I was stuffed but those big final cheers by everybody in their tents at the very end of the race in the pouring rain gave me a final burst of energy to sprint up to the line - you couldn't wipe the smile off my (very muddy) face :)

The whole "vibe" of the day was so positive.

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
Another happy solo camper here. The dual track worked really well, hardly any congestion on track at all. Next year I'll be back in the teams, I missed hanging out at Race HQ and soaking up all the atmosphere. Hats off to the whole Forrest crew. We love coming down every time.

Fantasic event Forrest MTB Crew. Congratulations and thank you. Really enjoyed it even though I'm paying for it now. From my perspective, spliting the solo & team riders for large parts of the course was a master stroke and the solo loop it self was amazing. I crossed the line with Jess exactly 1 minute before the downpour which was a big bonus. The three guys that ended up infront of me in the 40+ solo were super fast dudes for old codgers so a big congrats to them on a great race. Loved it. Thanks again.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
For reference I calculated the teams lap distance as 8.5km.
The "official" distances were 9.9 for the Solos and 8.5 for the teams (but I understand there may have been some last-minute tweaks due tot he weather forecast).

Exie

Likes Dirt
A few happy snaps here - but none out on course except for the Kids Race.
Many thanks to Russell for these, the kids race looks like great fun!

I recall seeing some other folks around the course taking pics, the odd marshal perhaps ?

Anyone have anything they are prepared to share ? It'd be nice to frame a pic of my ugly mug on the wall, evidence that I was there. Maybe I could put it up in my bike shed. :)