TAS [Found] Custom machined/CNC'ed post mount brake adapter?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Long shot, but based on initial quotes from CNC machining/fabrication shops, getting a one off isn't going to be favorable cost-wise. Anyone with access to tooling required (band saw, drill press?) able to cut or machine the below out of 10mm alu stock?

Item: Custom post mount adapter
Price range/Willing to Pay: ?? (CNC quotes been around the $300 mark, can't really justify that)
Extra Info: +2.6mm front, +3mm rear

STEP file link

Attachments

Last edited:

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Long shot, but based on initial quotes from CNC machining/fabrication shops, getting a one off isn't going to be favorable cost-wise. Anyone with access to tooling required (band saw, drill press?) able to cut or machine the below out of 10mm alu stock?

Item: Custom post mount adapter
Price range/Willing to Pay: ?? (CNC quotes been around the $300 mark, can't really justify that)
Extra Info: +2.6mm front, +3mm rear

STEP file link

View attachment 386240

Make it more CNC friendly and try finding somewhere with a CNC router (like a sign writer).
If you can make it so it can be cut from a 10mm thick piece of plate, it'll end up way cheaper. External sharp corners are fine, but put as large of a radius as you can fit on the internal corners. The bigger the diameter of the cutter that can be used, the better/ faster/ cheaper. Then mark, centre-punch and drill the holes using a vice and drill press.

Something more like this:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Make it more CNC friendly and try finding somewhere with a CNC router (like a sign writer).
If you can make it so it can be cut from a 10mm thick piece of plate, it'll end up way cheaper. External sharp corners are fine, but put as large of a radius as you can fit on the internal corners. The bigger the diameter of the cutter that can be used, the better/ faster/ cheaper. Then mark, centre-punch and drill the holes using a vice and drill press.

Something more like this:
View attachment 386242 View attachment 386243
That's a good point, thanks - have just updated my model to increase the radius of the corners. Unfortunately due to location, there aren't many places around that I can find locally, have approached what seems the most likely but have yet to hear back. If I had a band saw would probably attempt to cut it manually, but not an option.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any reason why a couple of washers and slightly longer mounting bolts on the standard adaptors wouldn't work?
3mm of washers makes me uncomfortable for some reason, and to be frank.. I tend to be fussy about the stupid little details like that despite it being idiotic. It's one of those little niggling things that'll always bug me.

Have sent an email to Marino as part of the headtube angle discussion to see if they can CNC me one.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What is it adapting? Get a 203 to 160 rear and grind/cut off the bits you don't like? $300 is silly money but unless you use cnc there is probably 4 or 5 hours in that. Pretty pretty job stuff.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is it adapting? Get a 203 to 160 rear and grind/cut off the bits you don't like? $300 is silly money but unless you use cnc there is probably 4 or 5 hours in that. Pretty pretty job stuff.
180->203, but the mount has been welded slightly too low. Gonna wait and see what Marino (or Elijah) says, at least I have a few options. Mate at a fabrication place has offered to get me some 10mm bar stock so might see what I can come up with.

Attachments

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
3mm of washers makes me uncomfortable for some reason, and to be frank.. I tend to be fussy about the stupid little details like that despite it being idiotic. It's one of those little niggling things that'll always bug me.

Have sent an email to Marino as part of the headtube angle discussion to see if they can CNC me one.
Ye olde bike was happier with a bit more rotor clearance.

Try some presta valve locknut thingys. The threads are the same size as the brake bolts. It is like the brake gods made this happen from careful planning but forgot to tell us.

Spaced out spot on for me and you a bound to have bunch of them in the bike parts corral even if you don't want them.

DSC_2732.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
180->203, but the mount has been welded slightly too low. Gonna wait and see what Marino (or Elijah) says, at least I have a few options. Mate at a fabrication place has offered to get me some 10mm bar stock so might see what I can come up with.
So.... cut down a 160---->203 to suit?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Must be a standard Marino thing. I had to do that with my hardtail as well. I wasn't quite as fussy as you about the washers... :p

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Way back years ago when I first went to 200mm centerline rotors, 160-200 or 180-200 adapters were just a drawing and they didn’t exist, it was all 203mm stuff.

I milled down an adapter further then needed, intentionally, then spaced up with washers to get the perfect pad engagement on the rotor, rode it a week then machined a 203mm adapter down perfectly after measuring the washer stack.

Couldn’t tell the different between a washer stack and a perfect adapter.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Way back years ago when I first went to 200mm centerline rotors, 160-200 or 180-200 adapters were just a drawing and they didn’t exist, it was all 203mm stuff.

I milled down an adapter further then needed, intentionally, then spaced up with washers to get the perfect pad engagement on the rotor, rode it a week then machined a 203mm adapter down perfectly after measuring the washer stack.

Couldn’t tell the different between a washer stack and a perfect adapter.
But you still knew, didn’t you? :eek:

Last edited: