AM Found

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ok, your photos are not doing this justice - find someone with a dSLR please, stat!

And the belt isn't one of those Gates centre track designs?

That's weird - it would mean you wouldn't need that rubbing guide thingo.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
To risk sounding like an anti carbon luddite, but damn I love nice welding. Craps all over gluey bonding agents every time.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
To risk sounding like an anti carbon luddite, but damn I love nice welding. Craps all over gluey bonding agents every time.

I’m an unnashamed anti carbon luddite. It just doesn’t excite me the same way a good metal frame does.

Gimme that sweet craftsmanship every time!
Maybe it’s because I have to weld, and I know how bloody hard it is to get that good. I trust my mig welds to hold multiple tonne, but tig up a mtb frame? No bloody way would I ride a bike I welded in anger. So much respect for good frame builders.

God damn I hate welding thin guage aluminium.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I’m an unnashamed anti carbon luddite. It just doesn’t excite me the same way a good metal frame does.

Gimme that sweet craftsmanship every time!
Maybe it’s because I have to weld, and I know how bloody hard it is to get that good. I trust my mig welds to hold multiple tonne, but tig up a mtb frame? No bloody way would I ride a bike I welded in anger. So much respect for good frame builders.

God damn I hate welding thin guage aluminium.
I would have loved to have learnt it since my Dad was a Boilermaker but only had an arc welder at home. I think he was over it by the time he finished the day job.

Good frame builders and classy welding does command respect. Bonding and lugs are nice and all but nothing like some nicely welded steel, alloy or ti. Ti welding must be the hardest one to master.

Sadly more of a niche art now after the era of carbon.

Welds on the naked alloy when done right is just superb.

Reactions: Zaf

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Sorry, don't like it. Something is wrong.

Either the road is level and the shelter is out of whack or the shed is level and the photo is out of whack.

Bike looks ok.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That photo is better than the others already - moar! Bit disappointed that Mint’a not shown off the Nomad

Nice work getting the forks on so fast. You going to use a ShockWiz to help with setup?

madstace

Likes Dirt
The Shifter
For anyone going to a Pinion...do not do what I did and "skim read then wing it" with this part of the installation. Once you have the cable outers routed, and are ready to set up the shifter, STOP and follow every little instruction to the letter. Needless to say, I struggled with this part a little, and once I had stopped, and gone through every step outlined in the manual it all came together just fine. I completely wrote off 3 perfectly good quality shifter cables before taking a breather and listening to @mint355 to get it done.
*insert photo* - Shifting mechanism + grip shifter
In anycase, it is very involved process in setting the gearbox manually to it's middle gear, making sure the cable carrier that then meshes with the shifting mechnism is properly oriented and engaged, winding it back to one of the extremes of its shifting range, routing one cable, tensioning it through to the OTHER end of the shifting range, securing the next cable (without winding it back, because that'll fuck it up!).
As it was nearly midnight at this stage, and I had no further shifter cables, I didn't get my head around how to switch it in such a way that has harder gears be a twist towards me (moto throttle style). This is proven to be little to no issue though, shifting has proved to be quite intuitive like this.
It's funny you wrote this as I was thinking about our chat the other day on the shifter and how a trigger style one could be made to work. Well after a chance find I did some research on the Rotor Uno hydraulic drivetrain and let me just say, this should be the only way of "cabling" any shifting system! Closed system with no cables to stretch, and also no electronics to think about either, brilliant! I reckon it'd be easy enough to incorporate into a Pinion-like system, even if it was still 2 cables needed. Only problem I can see with it is the same as the current Pinion grip shifter, needs some level of indexing at the shifter to take the vagueness out of gear selection. Also sounds like it could save some pain of running cables regardless of the shifter :p

Bike looks great though mate, how does the belt drive feel compared to a chain?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
View attachment 346387

Updated post with the appropriate pictures.
Dropped a few PSI out of the Formula after my quick spin last night. Felt great but was only using about 60% of the travel even with some decent compressions. Still plenty to fiddle with on it, but it's feeling pretty good out of the box even one what was a harsh spring setup.
The extra 20mm in height to the cockpit was amazing as well, immediately a better riding position although. I doubt the Fox 36's will ever find their way back onto the bike now because of the steerer cut alone.

View attachment 346389 View attachment 346390 View attachment 346392 View attachment 346391 View attachment 346388
@Zaf those pictures look great. Did you use a fast macro lens to get that bokeh effect? What colour correction did you apply? Did you say something about the Mongol Empire?

PS I actually want to see what your Formulas look like even if you don't have a dslr.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited: