Fox 34 140 v pike 140

Scotty675

Cable thief
Looking at new 140 fork. Anyone ridden a new 34? Would the new 34 be as stiff as a new pike these days?
Will be 29” set at 140mm

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I’ve not had any problem with RS warranty work or dealing with the importer but Fox was a nightmare.

Pikes are a good 140mm fork. Manitou will also be nice.
Can’t go wrong with any of them when they’re working as designed imo.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I’ve not had any problem with RS warranty work or dealing with the importer but Fox was a nightmare.

I’m sure they are all great forks and will definitely out perform me. This time I’m going to stick with 140mm as recommended. I have a pike and it’s a great fork. The only experience I have with 34s is stepcast at 120 (had a couple and liked them and an old CTD 150 that I upgraded to fit4 damper and air spring, compared to other forks this does feel flexy

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

The Pikes on the 5010 and Nickel are at 140mm. A few generations apart, but both are pretty good forks for trail messing around. Can't say I'd need much more from them at all. Both have an MRP Ramp Control and the older Pikes also has a Luftkappe. Bolt on pimpage.

I guess it all comes down to where you will be riding and if you need moar fork.

I would like to do a bakeoff between the Fox 34 or 36 and Pike Ultimates. You really need to compare but hard to have that luxury. I've always had Fox forks and the Pikes were my first RS since the Quadra 5s and a brief run with the Revelation dual air on the TRc - which were great trail fork overall but did get rigid after fast chunky oil cavitating descents.

I do like that the Pikes seem to suppress the trail chatter well and seem to happily ride lower to midway in their travel. My earlier Fox seem to use more travel overall to absorb bumps while RS seem to dampen it more while using less travel *. They do feel pretty well sorted and controlled for my nancy riding anyhow. Having a fork that I can service myself is also a factor for me.

All forks now are pretty well refined. I think it would be hard to mess up royally with any choices from RS, Fox or Manitou. They are just a bit different.

* Disclaimer: RS 35mm with Charger vs. earlier Fox 32mm open oil bath is never going to be fair to compare. :) Oh well.

Scotty675

Cable thief
The Pikes on the 5010 and Nickel are at 140mm. A few generations apart, but both are pretty good forks for trail messing around. Can't say I'd need much more from them at all. Both have an MRP Ramp Control and the older Pikes also has a Luftkappe. Bolt on pimpage.

I guess it all comes down to where you will be riding and if you need moar fork.

I would like to do a bakeoff between the Fox 34 or 36 and Pike Ultimates. You really need to compare but hard to have that luxury. I've always had Fox forks and the Pikes were my first RS since the Quadra 5s and a brief run with the Revelation dual air on the TRc - which were great trail fork overall but did get rigid after fast chunky oil cavitating descents.

I do like that the Pikes seem to suppress the trail chatter well and seem to happily ride lower to midway in their travel. My earlier Fox seem to use more travel overall to absorb bumps while RS seem to dampen it more while using less travel *. They do feel pretty well sorted and controlled for my nancy riding anyhow. Having a fork that I can service myself is also a factor for me.

All forks now are pretty well refined. I think it would be hard to mess up royally with any choices from RS, Fox or Manitou. They are just a bit different.

* Disclaimer: RS 35mm with Charger vs. earlier Fox 32mm open oil bath is never going to be fair to compare. :) Oh well.
Where early 32s a fork, I thought they were a pool noodle. My old 150 34s are a lot better but not as good as my pike

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The Charger3 in the new RS stuff would appear to be crap based on the interwebs. I have not owned or ridden one. I had a Pike with Charger 2.

The new Mattoc Pro sounds great. I had the current version and it was excellent straight out of the box.

I have two almost identical Fox 34s at 130mm on two almost identical bikes. I like the Fit4 damper better than the Grip. Grip feels plusher until you approach warp speed through the chunk and then the Fit4 is so much better (this is the newer Fit4 damper, I've got no experience with the older one).

I could not tell any difference in stiffness between these forks but I weigh 70kg.

Like @Jpez says my first pick would be the Mattoc Pro. Its got a proper damper, good adjustable air spring and the weight is competitive. Second choice would be the Fox 34 with Fit4 (or perhaps Grip2).

Jpez

Down on the left!
The Charger3 in the new RS stuff would appear to be crap based on the interwebs. I have not owned or ridden one. I had a Pike with Charger 2.

Like @Jpez says my first pick would be the Mattoc Pro. Its got a proper damper, good adjustable air spring and the weight is competitive. Second choice would be the Fox 34 with Fit4 (or perhaps Grip2).
And it’s Fucking SHINY! Cmon.