Fox distribution

DW-1

Dirt Works
There are changes a-brewin’ in the Dirt Works family of brands.

Fox Racing Shox will no longer be distributed by Dirt Works as of July 1st 2008. :eek: From that date, Netti will be the new distributor and service centre.

You can contact them on: Phone: 02 9550 1655, Email: netti@netti.com.au

We are working closely with Netti to ensure that Fox customers have as smooth and seamless a transition as possible. In the meantime, Dirt Works will continue to handle Fox warranty work up until the last few days prior to this date. We will continue to offer our industry leading turnaround times on all Fox products until then.

Many of you will no doubt be asking “why?” …

Fox’ new ownership required that we sign an exclusive suspension agreement with Fox. This agreement would have conflicted with some of our other long term suppliers’ products.

We decided that it was not in the best interests of Dirt Works, our suppliers and our employees to sign the agreement. It’s a shame as we still like the Fox brand but, in the end, that’s business.

We have enjoyed being able to be involved with Fox for the last 8 years and have seen them grow from an OEM rear shock company into a full suspension supplier. We wish Netti well with Fox for the future.

(keep an eye out at your local dealer for some mind blowing specials as we clear current 2008 stocks)

Elvis.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
The take over by Compass Diversified Holdings can mean one of two things. First being that with a powerful and wealthy parent company, more money and resources can be invested in R&D to consolidate FOX as the number one Suspension manufacturer in the world. OR in the interests of maximising profit, open up the target market and start targeting the low end product market.

The brand can only go two ways from here, lets hope its the first.

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
Wow, that sucks. But I guess at the end of the day business is business. It would have been nice to see Fox be a little more lenient on their new policy and Dirtworks remain as the distributor in Australia.

Dirtworks handled Fox extremely well. Netti have a tall task living up to the service and support provided.

Good luck to DW and Netti in all respects.

Cheers,

Ken

Toxic

Likes Dirt
So when are you going to announce that Manitou are entering the house since they are now owned by Hayes and Sun-Ringle, both of which you distribute?

Mmmmmm.......stirring. :p

S.

ex offender
So when are you going to announce that Manitou are entering the house since they are now owned by Hayes and Sun-Ringle, both of which you distribute?

Mmmmmm.......stirring. :p
I imagine DT (they make air shocks remember) are a bigger profit-turner than Fox in general, and so DW have chosen to keep them on instead of Fox... yeah just more speculation :)

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
I imagine DT (they make air shocks remember) are a bigger profit-turner than Fox in general, and so DW have chosen to keep them on instead of Fox... yeah just more speculation :)
DT also bought Pace, so they now make forks too ;)

Not to mention DT's other products, which I am sure account for more numbers than their suspension....hubs, spokes, rims and complete wheels.

morto1980

Likes Dirt
I wonder what will happen if/when Scott bikes (distributed by Netti) decide not to use Fox forks on some of their models? It gets very complicated very quickly. I suppose whole bikes are different to componentry.

This week has been a list of disappointments: Fox leaving DW, Ebay mandating PayPal payments, me not winning lotto (AGAIN... I guess I'll have to start buying tickets to increase my chances). :D

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
I wonder what will happen if/when Scott bikes (distributed by Netti) decide not to use Fox forks on some of their models?
The Scott brand should have no impact on whether Netti do Fox. Scott don't use much Fox through their range, no more than RockShox etc. Scott also use their own rear shocks and not Fox, so as far as Fox is concerned Scott is probably one of their smaller clients.

Plus Netti sell Scott bikes as completes, and Fox as after market products, completely separate and isolated product lines for Netti.

'Alex

Likes Dirt
Bob Fox said:
"As founder of Fox, and the sole owner for over 30 years, I am now very excited about this transition of ownership to Compass. The financial strength and resources Compass provides will enable Fox to continue its strong growth and leadership in all its markets. It will also enable us to aggressively pursue new projects and opportunities. I will continue as President and CEO and will maintain a significant financial interest. On a personal note, I am excited about the opportunity this provides me to focus more of my time and energy doing the design and engineering work, the part of the business I love the most. As a successful, healthy company, Fox had the luxury of looking for and selecting the best partner for this transaction, we chose Compass."
Bob Fox, President and CEO
Fox Racing Shox
So by the sounds of it.. just a "friendly" inverster to assist in the growth of fox factory.. couldn't be too bad.

But the scary part is Compass' line
We believe that this high level of attention assists our managers in their efforts to improve the performance of their companies, ultimately maximizing returns to our shareholders and management investors.

indica

Serial flasher
No, it's not good Alex ... anyone want a Fox helmet and DHX 4.0?

BOYCOTT ... did you see those photos and read the blurbs?

'Alex

Likes Dirt
No, it's not good Alex ... anyone want a Fox helmet and DHX 4.0?

BOYCOTT ... did you see those photos and read the blurbs?
ben fox factory dont make helmets.. :p

Fox is a designer, manufacturer and marketer of high end suspension products for mountain bikes, all terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and other off-road vehicles. Your thinking of Fox Racing.... Total different to Fox Racing Shox:D

indica

Serial flasher
Told ... cheers, didn't know that (me... dork)

So ... want my DHX 4.0 .... corporate shite

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Keep your pants on guys, the compass board looks completely normal... 'specially this guy!

I just found a new MSN avatar. :D

On topic:

DW did a great job with Fox, working in a LBS they were great to deal with.

In saying that I've had no problems with Netti before so we'll see how things go...

To whoever mentioned DW getting manitou... Didn't steve cramer products drop answer from their line a few weeks/months ago? *strokes chin* :D

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
Total different to Fox Racing Shox:D
Completely seperate companies yes, but I wouldn't say too different. From what I know, Fox Racing (the clothing, armour, etc) and Fox Racing Shox are owned by 2 brothers. Their last name is Fox and they started their companies around the same time I believe and couldn't decide who could use a fox for their logo. So they split the difference. Fox Racing Shox got the tail and Fox Racing got the Head....I wonder if some coins were involved?

I am pretty sure this is true...but not too sure, maybe when I was younger I heard some old MTBer drunkenly slurring it and then took it as fact? :rolleyes:

On an earlier point, I don't think having Fox as a publicly listed company should be damaging to the product. While it is possible they might cut corners to improve profits, cutting corners on product quality will only lead to problems in the future and reduced sales...share holders don't like that.

It is more likely that a new manager will come in fire a whole bunch of people and make production more automated or efficient with less people.

Also don't forget, one of the biggest (maybe the biggest?) companies in cycling, Shimano, has been publicly listed for quite some time. While they have brought out some utter crap and forced it down our throats for a while, they have brought it back on track...namely because they would have lost sales to SRAM, especially doing their wacky reverse sprung derrailleurs, STI shifters etc. Shareholders and managers don't like lost sales, so we have seen them come back with a vengeance in the past couple of years with vastly improved products and better pricing which has seen them gain alot of head way in the market again.

So while having a company public listed is a bit scary, ultimately we the end consumer should benefit.

Cheers,

Ken

John U

MTB Precision
So while having a company public listed is a bit scary, ultimately we the end consumer should benefit.
Hope you are right. Hope also that the Fox employees are looked after properly too. Maximising profit quite often means shafting employees. Which in the end doesn't always mean maximising profits. Offshoring anyone?