Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I not necessarily saying don't take protein supplements, but make sure diet is 100% before throwing away good money on a bandaid fix.
But there's little nutritional value compared to real food, if they add vits / minerals, the body struggles to metabolise them like real food.
Yeah, I completely agree on the nutritional value. Protein shakes are purely a cheap way to get more protein. From a more wholistic nutritional point of view they are not a substitute for real food.

I also like your opinion on the optimal amount of protein per day - it is consistent with recommendations from the AIS and some others.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I have a question though that I'm struggling to find a proper answer too (maybe you can answer it?), What's the best way to train for maximum hypertrophy? I've always believed it came down to fatiguing the muscle and breaking it down using a very high volume workout. Using a mix of 6-8reps for "fast twitch fibres" and 12-20 reps for "slow twitch fibres". Basically the goal is to break down the muscle as much as possible, force alot of blood into the muscle and then eat correctly (and in surplus) to build the muscle bigger.

So training more in isolation and really training a muscle hard -over time, not high intensity- will yield good results.

It’s a very complex question with a more complex answer,

It’s an older study but also an interesting study, Schmidtbleicher compared:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7195805

7x1-3 (90-100% intensity) reps over 3x12 (70% intensity) reps. Keep in mind we are also by default comparing differing volumes 21 vs 36 reps.
The higher rep group made significant improvements in mass over the low rep group (nearly double), and the high rep group also made greater strength gains. (only a small amount 5% ish).
The problem with many strength training studies, now and in 1981 is they use novices, as a novice more CSA = more strength. Things are different when you are well trained. But overall higher rep ranges created larger muscle mass than lower rep ranges (12+ reps).

More recently Campos, with probably one of the best studies to date on the subject, Well worth a read.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Muscular%20adaptations%20in%20response%20to%20three%20different%20resistance-training%20regimens%3A%20specificity%20of%20repetition%20maximum%20training%20zones

Showed that 3-5RM was significantly better than higher reps for strength gain, with improvements double a 9-11RM and more than triple a 18-20RM.
But then at the end of the training study they got them to use a 60% to fatigue, doing as many reps as possible. The low rep group did crap, the high rep group did awesome and the mid group did ok. Showing low reps will make you strong, but not help endurance.
Then they looked at hypertrophy of fibre types, low reps to moderate reps resulted in a decent level of hypertrophy, whilst high reps was not beneficial.

If you want to get strong 3-5 reps. This had a poor response to endurance (@60% intensity)
If you want excellent endurance 20+ reps But no good for mass or endurance
If you want mass both 3-5 reps and 9-11 reps effective. Effective for mass and strength.

Now I have ignored the effect of rest periods, total volume, number of set etc... it all has an affect.

But the bottom line is - hypertropthy 6-15 (theres another study floating around that showed 15 reps worked) reps has been shown to be effective, with somewhere around 10-12 appearing to have the greatest results. Shorter rest periods are advised, 1 minute ()2 absolute max. Aim for 3-4 sets.

But remember it can be hard comparing studies, they use differing %RM, rest periods, sets, reps, exercises... I have read pretty much all of the studies in this area and to me its still not completely obvious.

As far as isolating goes, this would be another entire post or 3, more than a few people have mentioned on here that a few sets of deadies, squats, bench and for me 1 arm rows destroys you. After 1 hard exercise I am ready to go home. That's essentially why training muscle groups in isolation is recommended, you avoid central fatigue and get get more volume into a session, volume appearing to have a very important roll in pure hypertrophy.

? I've always believed it came down to fatiguing the muscle and breaking it down using a very high volume workout. Using a mix of 6-8reps for "fast twitch fibres" and 12-20 reps for "slow twitch fibres". Basically the goal is to break down the muscle as much as possible, force alot of blood into the muscle and then eat correctly (and in surplus) to build the muscle bigger.

Now here's two questions: Does muscle damage result in muscle growth? Do we need to damage a muscle to make it grow?

Havn't had a protein shake in 4 months n I'm still making dem gains. Although I'm one fat motherfucker. Back down to 90 after getting to 92. Never again. 8 reps with 32.5 kg dumbells on bench. Holy crap dumbells are 100x harder to lift than Barbell. Will be interesting to see how much strength has increased when I go back to barbells.
That will be mostly from co-contration of opposing muscles to stabilize the load, go use a smith machine you'll put 25kg onto your bench. I really like dumbbells can train pretty hard without a spotter, although a lose a DB laterally and the shoulders going to cope it.

I also like your opinion on the optimal amount of protein per day - it is consistent with recommendations from the AIS and some others.
From what I have read and been told around the office and whats on the AIS website is pretty much spot on, 1.5 to 1.7g/kg/day works, any more than that and its not used for protein synthesis in muscles, but stored as fat or consumed as energy (which is a bad thing in a round-a-bout way). If you're cutting, more protein 2-3g/kg/day appears to help attenuate muscle loss during that phase, thanks Steve-O for links. If for some unlikely reason you decide that your muscly enough (beside weight classes, I'm pretty sure it'll never happen) .88 for sedentary people and 1.2g for trained people is shown to be the maintenance level.

If anyone disagrees, I'll be more than happy to have a look at the data you have taken, DEXA scans, nitrogen balance measures, blood tests, biopsy's? :)

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was a broad question but that's one hell of a reply.

That's what I've always believed so at the moment (in search of hypertrophy) I've bumped everything up to 8-12 reps. In the very short term (3 weeks) it's been pretty good.

Now here's two questions: Does muscle damage result in muscle growth? Do we need to damage a muscle to make it grow?
I don't think you need to, but I thought it was the quickest way. Not full on damaging and tearing muscles but working it hard and creating micro tears in the muscle.

moto_guy

Banned
Did a personal training session today and got my deadlift technique sorted. My back was not nearly as straight as what i thought it was while lifting. Watching a video replay really helps you see what you are doing wrong.

Smashed my PB on the seated row today too did 4 sets of 12 reps @ 150lbs stoked to see I'm getting stronger.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
That's what I've always believed so at the moment (in search of hypertrophy) I've bumped everything up to 8-12 reps. In the very short term (3 weeks) it's been pretty good.
Steve, why u no 5/3/1? Specifically the bodybuilding template? 3-5 range on the big lifts, cos strength is important, then freedom with all other accessory movements.

Big week this week. Usual 5x5 sessions on Mon/Wed/Fri, coupled with downhill runs on Tuesday and XC today. Probably more DH on the weekend. Legs are wrecked.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
i would like to ask a question from a MMA point of view.

whats the dietry requirements for something like that? while there is plenty of conditioning drills and sessions done, weights on the other hand are not really in the equation. mainly bodyweight or high repetitions with things such as sledge hammers, or lighter kettlebells etc.

so, i know im getting around 100 - 110 avg g of protein a day. i average out a 1700 cals during the week and around 2400 on the weekend as diet is just less controllable.

what id like to do is loose weight ( im about 80 at the momet but would like to get down to around 72 - 75 which is a 5 - 8% drop in BF from my sturdy 20%) but also maint what muscle i have. i dont want to be huge, just functional.

ive experimented with lower carb, higher protein diets and it just leaves me feeling like shit, training suffers etc etc

so "mywife" do you have ay recommendations there?

Chalkie

Likes Dirt

whats the dietry requirements for something like that? while there is plenty of conditioning drills and sessions done, weights on the other hand are not really in the equation. mainly bodyweight or high repetitions with things such as sledge hammers, or lighter kettlebells etc.

so, i know im getting around 100 - 110 avg g of protein a day. i average out a 1700 cals during the week and around 2400 on the weekend as diet is just less controllable.

what id like to do is loose weight ( im about 80 at the momet but would like to get down to around 72 - 75 which is a 5 - 8% drop in BF from my sturdy 20%) but also maint what muscle i have. i dont want to be huge, just functional.

ive experimented with lower carb, higher protein diets and it just leaves me feeling like shit, training suffers etc etc

so "mywife" do you have ay recommendations there?
Before I start, I'm far from a nutrition expert, but I do keep a very close eye on what I eat and have been logging my eating patterns for well over a few months.

1700 cals is pretty low, and if you're working out regularly and eating right you definitely should be losing weight and pretty quickly at that. Whats your daily activity like? Eg. do you sit a desk all day, does your job require physical work etc? How many workouts a week, how long do they go for, and how high intensity? Also how quickly are you aiming to drop the weight?

I think what’s most important is the makeup of your total calorie intake.

As a guideline from my experience of currently leaning down I've been sitting on about 2,200 cals. That’s made up of around 303 grams Carbs (55%) - 50 grams Fat (20%) - 138 grams Protein (%25)

On the weekends, my cal intake is also a little all over the place and I always have a few more beers than I should - but what’s the point if you can't enjoy yourself every now and then.

I've found the slight deficit of cals (I’m estimating my average calories burned per day is around 2400); with a pretty high protein intake ~1.7-1.8grams / kg bodyweight has yielded good results. I've been losing small amounts of weight slowly but steadily and maintaining muscle mass. Even during really hard workouts my energy levels are fine.

Sign up here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and track your results if you're not already. Yes, it’s never going to be 100% right, but it’s pretty damn good and it'll make you more aware of what you're putting into your body and potentially highlight what you should be cutting form your diet.

Last edited:

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt

You need to eat more! There is no way you can train MMA effectively on 1700 cal/day. Your training will suffer and your recovery even more so.

Assuming you are talking real training, not group fitness in a park training...

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steve, why u no 5/3/1? Specifically the bodybuilding template? 3-5 range on the big lifts, cos strength is important, then freedom with all other accessory movements.

Big week this week. Usual 5x5 sessions on Mon/Wed/Fri, coupled with downhill runs on Tuesday and XC today. Probably more DH on the weekend. Legs are wrecked.
Don't know. Was thinking of doing it but motivation is pretty low at the moment so I'm just doing whatever 3 times a week lol. When life comes back to normal I'll probably start on 5/3/1.

I know how your legs feel, I stopped riding regularly for a couple months this year, Currently riding way more often to get that back before I jump onto 5/3/1.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
I use calorie king to record my intake and it seems to be pretty accurate. ive cross checked it with other sites.

if i stick to it, ill loose a 1/2 a kilo but then it stalls. could be due to low cals. ive found that meal timing is very important.

i was previously doing 2200 odd and getting no where.

to be honest my biggest issue is the weekend and i find it really hard to maintain a good diet at that time.

how much training? 5 days a week total 3X 2 hours a week then conditioning drills at home which take about an hour the other 2 days.

so yer i just answered my own question. weekend is killing it.

im also mid 30's soooooo i guess metabolism is slowing down. i never had these issues in my 20's

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do you stop nipples from being chafed? bandaids?
Bandaids, vaseline, body-glide, new shirt etc.

120kg deadlifts yesterday, legs are bruised and abs are f'ed! Got my eyes on 170kg, which I figure will be just about 2x bodyweight by the time I get there.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
For slow release proteins people seem to look to Casein protein. I have never used Casein myself, but I'm sure others on here have.

Take a look at Bulknutrients for some Casein (1kg starting from $35 http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/protein/micellar-casein-1kg-1) - everything I have ever heard about them is good news, I have used them a number of times myself and I believe a few others on here have too. They offer cheap, good quality supps with very little of the claims and hype of other fitness industry manufacturers that put me off their products.
Has anyone on here tried to make their own protein powder? I'm thinking of making my own and mix casein protein with powdered egg, skim milk powder, oatmeal and yogurt powder. I'm thinking of doing this for 2 reasons. One being the cost. I'm sick of buying expensive proteins and getting no results, if i make my own and it works it will be quite cost effective. The 2nd reason is every different brand offers "the best" protein but how do you know which way to go? And the ingredients are just a bunch of chemicals, so again, if my home made protein powder works I would at least know the core ingredients.

my02

Likes Dirt
Where do you get your skim milk powder and yoghurt powder from and is there much of a difference nutritionally between the two?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Where do you get your skim milk powder and yoghurt powder from and is there much of a difference nutritionally between the two?
Skim milk powder would be from somewhere like Coles or woolies, yogurt powder I was thinking something like the easiyo yogurt powder.

moto_guy

Banned
Bandaids, vaseline, body-glide, new shirt etc.

120kg deadlifts yesterday, legs are bruised and abs are f'ed! Got my eyes on 170kg, which I figure will be just about 2x bodyweight by the time I get there.
Feels bad bro.

Nice work on the dead lifts. How many reps you doing at 120?

Is 2 gym sessions a day 7 days a week too much if your doing splits and letting each muscle group rest for 2 days?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
@Bryce88, why not just go with Bulk Nutrients? There stuff is pretty cheap, just no-nonsense powders.

Is 2 gym sessions a day 7 days a week too much if your doing splits and letting each muscle group rest for 2 days?
I would say yes, unless you're on all sorts of sterons. And even then.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Feels bad bro.

Nice work on the dead lifts. How many reps you doing at 120?

I'm not professional but when I was gyming fairly regularly I found having a day or two off a week was a good to break it up for me, made me want to go to the gym more.

Update for me its been a mindblowing summer but soon i'll be second year with a bit of extra cash so will be getting a gym membership again. So pumped to get back in there!

Last edited:

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I would say yes, unless you're on all sorts of sterons. And even then.
Would be ok if the total volume was low, but then I'm not sure what the point would be. You'd barely break a sweat and spend more time getting to/from the gym than training.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Would be ok if the total volume was low, but then I'm not sure what the point would be. You'd barely break a sweat and spend more time getting to/from the gym than training.
Exactly. 3-4 days is plenty for the average natural lifter.