Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool, Still a massive Bench dude. Good work!

If you can get to PTC Sydney, I couldn't reccomend it highly enough. Probably one of Australia's most successful powerlifting gyms. Shoot an email to Trent, he knows his shit.

Product review: Bulk Nutrients WPC Vanilla. Good shit! 1kg for $41 posted to my door. Mixes really well, tastes pretty good. Proper stuff too, no sugar or bullshit.

Last edited:

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can someone please recommend me an abs/core workout? Just a good all round workout that will make it hurt to laugh afterwards...

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nitrovol! BOOM!
15% sugar?

For abs, try just grabbing a 20kg plate and holding it on your head and do crunches. Make sure the plate is ALWAYS touching your head so your not swinging it. After a set of those, put the plate on your feet and do situps. Then if your really stupid, turn over and hold a plank for as long as possible. That SHOULD result in a decent amount of pain :distrust:

my02

Likes Dirt
The main function of the "abdominals" is actually to resist movement, rather then create it (assuming you mean rectus adbo, trans ab, int & ext obliques). Crunches and similar would go against this.

Furthermore if you read work by Dr Stuart McGill, his research states that your spine has a limited number of flexion cycles (limited by genetics). If you throw in several sets of crunches / sit ups etc to your training you risk shortening that number of flexion cycles.

I suppose the questions should really be, why are you training your "abs"? What do you want to achieve?

taitt

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the tip on the Bulk Nutrients Steve-O.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the difference between WPI and WPC? I'm more of an endurance athlete > gym beast so even a recommendation as to which is better for me would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Then how do you train your abs? If I don't train them with crunches and the likes, i find my squat and deadlift suffer because more stress is put on my back. Also are you saying your spine has finite number of movements??? Doesn't everything? I don't quite understand that but I'm keen to learn! Aware me :)

Edit: did some reading... seems a liitle like an overreaction...if flexion is so bad, how does one tie their shoes? Pick things up? Also.. my spine pretty much doesn't move at all when doing crunches. I might drop the situps though, don't like them anyway. Will have to do some more reading but really, its similar to all the other "warnings". You know you can't overhead press or there's an "extreme" risk of shoulder Injury? Same deal.

Afaik wpc absorbs faster then wpi... or maybe its the other way round... either way its a little BS because a serve of proetin takes like 10hrs to digest so it doesn't matter when you take it or what type you consume. I'd post the supporting evidence but I'm no where near a pc.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Afaik wpc absorbs faster then wpi
Fairly sure it's the other way round. WPI is just a more "pure" form of protein powder than WPC, in the sense that is has less "filler" gram for gram than WPC (things like carbs and stuff).

Strength is slowly but surely coming back after it took a huge hit with that wisdom teeth bullshit.

Deadlifts last week: 160 x 4
Deadlifts this week: 162.5 x 6

Should be back up to strength real soon.

my02

Likes Dirt
Then how do you train your abs? If I don't train them with crunches and the likes, i find my squat and deadlift suffer because more stress is put on my back. Also are you saying your spine has finite number of movements??? Doesn't everything? I don't quite understand that but I'm keen to learn! Aware me :)

Edit: did some reading... seems a liitle like an overreaction...if flexion is so bad, how does one tie their shoes? Pick things up? Also.. my spine pretty much doesn't move at all when doing crunches. I might drop the situps though, don't like them anyway. Will have to do some more reading but really, its similar to all the other "warnings". You know you can't overhead press or there's an "extreme" risk of shoulder Injury? Same deal.
Well I guess there are two parts to my post, the function of the abs and the research that McGill has done. Yes, spinal flexion is an everyday movement however his suggestion was, why bring the point of injury closer when its not necessary through doing 100s of crunches per week (extrapolated over years if not decades).

Re training the abs, look into some of the other work by McGill (google super stiffness - nothing pervy!), plus work by Gray Cook and maybe Dave Tate.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I gathered crunches basically pressure the weakest point of the back over and over again - thus resulting in lower back pain etc.

Planks/bridges are much better as they engage more muscles and do not stress the back as much as dynamic motions.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just read "Super Stiffness" and now I know where's he's coming from. That makes sense, only problem I have with it is 1. How do you strengthen the muscles without Resistance? All he talks about is controlling the muscles and perfecting the speed of contraction, you have to perform spinal flexion, rotation, or lateral flexion to achieve anything. 2. I still don't believe the spinal flexion thing is as serious as he's making out. I think proper technique and being aware of the risks is the right way around it.

Correct Andrew, WPI is the pure stuff. Pretty pointless though, you spend a fair bit more for WPI in some cases. Only reason to use it is when your seriously cutting <10%BF and that 5g carbs or whatever in WPC will actually affect you, then use WPI. All other times, WPC.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'm yet to use it, WPC seems to work just fine. Don't even know where to start on that hydrolyzed stuff.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Core stability really.
Pushups and more pushups, then pushups with small dumbbells, on your upstroke twist keeping your arm straight lift until both your arms and torso are in a straight line 90* to the ground.
Pushups with your hands on the fit ball. Pushups with your feet on the fit ball. Do you arm routine while kneeling and keeping good form on the fit ball (My favorite)
Lunge squats keeping a close eye on your posture ie. How square/straight your hips stay.
On a dip bar, do leg raises, straight out both leg's locked together
Laying down, hands under your ass palm down. prop yourself up on your elbows, heels and knee's together 'crunch' your upper body and raise your leg's at the same time keeping your leg's straight and off the ground.
Running distances has been the best thing I have done for stability

Make sure you pay alot of attention to stretching your back afterwards. I love my foam roller. Does this thread need a disclaimer in it for take my advice with a grain of salt etc?

Yes we only have a finite amount of movement, but it's relevant to the entire body. Not just the core/spine by the same token if you don't use it, you lose it.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Hit the -10kg milestone last week, super happy. Sitting at 85ish now. Another 5, maybe 6 to go and I'll be sitting right where I want to be.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the tip on the Bulk Nutrients Steve-O.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the difference between WPI and WPC? I'm more of an endurance athlete > gym beast so even a recommendation as to which is better for me would be appreciated.
I recently went through this debate and here's what I boiled it down to.
WPC:
-Less refined, Thus meaning more lactose. Lactose a) Takes longer to digest b) Causes me to fart (I'm not lactose intolerant per say, But we all have different tolerance levels)
-For the BulkNutrients stuff: Fat & sugar ~ 1.6g/Serving

WPI:
-Refined a second time afterwards - Less lactose = Less gas & easier to digest
-0.3g fat/sugar per Seve
--Here's the vague bit - I saw utterings of this but nothing really conclusive - Contains same amount of cholesterol as WPC but has been heated a second time == Not as good for you. I read on one website that a serving of WPI is still approximately that of one egg. Although the website was bit of a shameless plug for a particular brand, But don't ask me to find it - It was a few weeks ago!

Bulk nutrients had WPC for $30/kg and WPI for $40/kg (+$12 postage). I ended up getting the WPI. If anybodies wondering I found the WPI super easy to digest and keep's me full till about an hour after I have it/gym session.

Zam

Likes Dirt
WPI is not better than WPC and WPC is not better than WPI.

Both are to to be used as SUPPLIMENTS!!!!!

So, depending on what you macro target is for the day if your not getting the right about of macros via whole foods then a protein powder can be used to suppliment you current diet to make sure you hit your marcos for the day, WPC contains slightly higher amounts of carbs, but the protein portion is exactly the same, WPI/WPC just have a slight difference in thier marcos due to the manufacturing process.

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Zam, I don't mean to be rude but I think the usage of supplements is already clear to most of the people in the thread. To supplement a whole food diet, not make up the bulk of it. Which supplement you take is clearly a reflection of a) what you need to supplement in your diet and b) cost of said supplement.

Also I'm not sure about both WPI and WPC having the same protein portion. From what I have gathered, per 100g of powder WPI will contain a greater protein portion than WPC just because it lacks the other components - we need only look as far as bulknutrients (90% protein in WPI and 78% protein in WPC. However I don't know the nutritional information of every single protein supplement out there so don't hold me to it in every case, but it would seem fairly redundant to produce WPI if WPC can have the same portion protein (weight protein/100g powder - this to me says purity of the powder) with less refinement and less cost.

On the topic of my injury. No need for surgery so going to attempt getting back into the gym sometime in the next 2 weeks. After 3 months out it will be a fantastic feeling to start sweating it out again, even if i have to use baby weights.

Last edited:

Zam

Likes Dirt
Zam, I don't mean to be rude but I think the usage of supplements is already clear to most of the people in the thread. To supplement a whole food diet, not make up the bulk of it. Which supplement you take is clearly a reflection of a) what you need to supplement in your diet and b) cost of said supplement.

Also I'm not sure about both WPI and WPC having the same protein portion. From what I have gathered, per 100g of powder WPI will contain a greater protein portion than WPC just because it lacks the other components - we need only look as far as bulknutrients (90% protein in WPI and 78% protein in WPC. However I don't know the nutritional information of every single protein supplement out there so don't hold me to it in every case, but it would seem fairly redundant to produce WPI if WPC can have the same portion protein (weight protein/100g powder - this to me says purity of the powder) with less refinement and less cost.

On the topic of my injury. No need for surgery so going to attempt getting back into the gym sometime in the next 2 weeks. After 3 months out it will be a fantastic feeling to start sweating it out again, even if i have to use baby weights.
Your right mate, just have seen many a post on some forums where people seem to have to belief that but having protein powder is going to make then massive or is a miracle pre or post wokrout meal/suppliement without having their "normal" diet under control, also some people seem to have the impression that the consumption of a protein powder in ESSENTIAL when working out....

As for the your last point you are correct, i didnt quite get the wording right of what i was trying to get across, WPI will have a higher protein %age per serve or 100g which ever way you look at basically because it is a more pure form of protein powder IE: an isolate not conserntrate.

Also if you guys are in the market for some protein chekc out Protein Direct, some great flavours, great prices and cheapp shipping.

Cheers