Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
First session back at the gym this evening since injury approx. 3 months ago, with mixed results. I expected to be almost back at square one and for some lifts I am, but for others I was pleasantly surprised.

Squat: 50kg 3x10 down from 95kg 3x5 - for some reason I could not stand after squatting...I have never felt a burn like that before which was weird.
Bench: 60kg 3x10 down from 77.5 3x5
Deadlift: 70kg 3x5 down from 120kg 3x5
Overhead press: 20kg 3x8 down from 45kg 3x5

Next session will be wednesday (or thursday depending on how sore I get) but I sure am glad to be back in the gym.

Ill keep regular updates now and may get some progress pics.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Broke my ankle at the cricket nets and now am in a cast etc.

Still pressing on with the upper body though. Will look a bit funny in the gym.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Today, I took into account what Steve was saying about not staying in the hole too loo long before you start deadlifting. Definitely noticed a difference, felt like I was able to maintain a bit more energy through the set (kept my breathing on-par, maintained form, etc).

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Today, I took into account what Steve was saying about not staying in the hole too loo long before you start deadlifting. Definitely noticed a difference, felt like I was able to maintain a bit more energy through the set (kept my breathing on-par, maintained form, etc).
Found exactly the same thing tonight. Was a good session and felt much better than last weeks, added weight halfway through because it felt too light.

Last night's chest session was shit though. Had to do the roll of shame for the first time in years!

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Found exactly the same thing tonight. Was a good session and felt much better than last weeks, added weight halfway through because it felt too light.

Last night's chest session was shit though. Had to do the roll of shame for the first time in years!
I know that feeling. Last time I had to do it, some guy came over and tried to lift the bar off me mid-roll. I pretty much had to yell at him to stop, I was like "Mate, I'm fine, just let the fucking thing go!".

Steve I just ordered some BN WPC... seemed like a great/cheap option.
Good decision.

moto_guy

Banned
Steve I just ordered some BN WPC... seemed like a great/cheap option.
I've just started going to the gym everyday and I got given a massive tub of protein for free. How often do you guys have it? Just after a workout? or for breakfast, before and after workout and before bed?

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just started going to the gym everyday and I got given a massive tub of protein for free. How often do you guys have it? Just after a workout? or for breakfast, before and after workout and before bed?
between meals, 2 or 3 a day, i personaly try have one after gym and before bed atleast, the experts will know more.

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
-Was looking forward to some proper deadlift training but turns out, after correcting my stance, everything was fine. He just reinforced the "tailbone up, chest out" posture and away I went. However, I learnt that farting around at the bar is poor. You should be able to walk up to the bar and lift it in 1-1.5s. The longer you spend in the hole, the less explosive the lift. Also, when you're dead lifting, once you put the bar down after the first rep, DO NOT MOVE, This is the perfect position for you to be in. I deadlifted 150kg for reps.

There's also a comp on the 31st of March there (at the new premises in Northgate), I'm going to go and spectate, if there's any Brisbane farkers that want to come and check it out, give us a holla!
Great stuff mate! Yeah its unbeliveable how much some of the serious lifters can squat/lift/move.

Great tips too... X2 on the once your 'on' the lift your in a tighter position.

Have you heard of the Romanian deadlift? Its a normal deadlift style wise but stop the lift before the bar touches the ground and do reps that way. You stay even tighter because there is absolutley no touch/moment to release tension on glutes and hammies.... Good fun. Also great to help people that go for the big load up and try and jerk the deadlift- teaches them what parts need to be working.

I got a heap of video from the Hardnup Challenge weight lifting comp(only loaded one atm, got to put them all in one big video on the weekend)... All the guys are gun lifters.

Speaking to a couple of coaches there, They reckon as a good rule of thumb for a split jerk etc is: What ever weight you can strict press (military press?) then you have the strength for double that in a split jerk. The rest is technique!!!!!

Jason Haywood. 140kg Clean and Jerk... Well kinda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeC-...xt=C3b5d20bUDOEgsToPDskKxQnKInXLvaGwC9Ra8a1ON

Before and after a workout (within 20min).. helps shedloads with recovery... I might have the odd one if feeling hungry and theres nothing decent to eat or i just didnt bring enough food to work/uni...

Last edited:

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been on starting strenght for a couple of weeks now. I've missed one of the three weekly workouts twice though but made up for it on my own obscure way. I can't get enough calorie's due to the amount of cardio I do, but I'm happy with making steady, but slow gains, over a longer time period. I mainly do weights for power in sport anyway.

Squat - 82.5 - 3x5
Bench - 60 - 3x5
press - 37.5 - 3x5
powerclean - 55 - 5x3
deadlift - 109 - 1x5

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone here doing a full 7-day body-building split? I have a dilemma.

I've done a solid 6 months of Full body workouts, and just recently moved to a powerlifting routine. I have a pretty solid base to work off now and lift Bench: 90kg Deadlift: 170 Squat: 120 @ 74kg. Now, I don't look very big at first glance, Most of my strength is from CNS rather then muscular, like a powerlifter or SS/Beginner.

A Friend of mine want's a training partner, so do I. Thing is, he is doing a 7 day split. Both Gym's we go to are pretty much the same, his being slightly more $.

Are 7 day splits worthwhile at my stage? I'm thinking a slightly worse routine will be counterbalanced by a shitload more motivation (training partner).

I've only thought of body building splits as an advanced thing, something you do at the end to really build the right shape. I'm only just nearing "Intermediate" but have been lifting properly and consistently for awhile.

Edit: I like big numbers but my goal is size.

P.s. Take a protein shake whenever you want, timing is pretty irrelevant for most. Only take what you need. If you need 250g a day of protein but can only eat 150g, you take 100g of protein supplement. I take mine when I wake up and when I come home from work, just because it's the easiest.

MRE: Yeh I'm doing Romanian deadlifts to help strengthen hamstrings. They work well!

Last edited:

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Are 7 day splits worthwhile at my stage? I'm thinking a slightly worse routine will be counterbalanced by a shitload more motivation (training partner).
I would say no. Natural lifters need rest, it's integral. Besides, 7 days is a terribly ineffective way to train.
Are you doing 5/3/1 at the moment? If not, sounds like that would be perfect. Running the bb template training 4 times per week i.e:
Military press day + assistance (shoulders and core)
Squats day + assistance (Legs)
Bench day + assistance (chest + tri's)
Deadlift day + assistance (back + bi's)

I did that for a while, got some wicked results on it. As for motivation? Redtube... I mean Youtube, Youtube.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would say no. Natural lifters need rest, it's integral. Besides, 7 days is a terribly ineffective way to train.
Are you doing 5/3/1 at the moment? If not, sounds like that would be perfect. Running the bb template training 4 times per week i.e:
Military press day + assistance (shoulders and core)
Squats day + assistance (Legs)
Bench day + assistance (chest + tri's)
Deadlift day + assistance (back + bi's)

I did that for a while, got some wicked results on it. As for motivation? Redtube... I mean Youtube, Youtube.
Yeh, I sussed out the gym today and we did chest/tri's and it was farking killer But I still think I would benefit from more frequency.
I could probably go to a 5/3/1 routine, would you recommend doing the full hog, i.e. calculating weights and loading/deloading or just the excercises? Traditional 531 is pretty damn slow progress! (Monthly increase in weights)

I've got a sweet plan from PTC I could follow but looking for more size at the moment.

moto_guy

Banned
Cheers for all the input in regards to protein.

I have been doing splits since starting in the gym 2 weeks ago is this not the best way to go about loosing weight and putting on muscle mass?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Yeh, I sussed out the gym today and we did chest/tri's and it was farking killer But I still think I would benefit from more frequency.
I could probably go to a 5/3/1 routine, would you recommend doing the full hog, i.e. calculating weights and loading/deloading or just the excercises? Traditional 531 is pretty damn slow progress! (Monthly increase in weights)

I've got a sweet plan from PTC I could follow but looking for more size at the moment.
It's up to you, man. Whatever you're most comfortable with and having the most fun with is going to work the best long-term. But yeah, I ran the full ball calculated approach. It seems really easy at first, but it gets hard once you start going over your previous maxes. Plus, there's heaps of room to add in explosive plyo stuff or hypertrophy stuff or core/balance shit or whatever else you're in to.

Cheers for all the input in regards to protein.

I have been doing splits since starting in the gym 2 weeks ago is this not the best way to go about loosing weight and putting on muscle mass?
Depends on a lot of things (experience, current strength levels etc). Also, it's not possible to effectively lose weight and gain muscle at the same time unless you're using anabolic substances.
Basically, if you're trying to lose weight, a strength-based programme involving full body workouts is your best bet. Also, if you're relatively new to weight training, or aren't where you think you should be in the strength department, a full body is probably going to be better than a split.
I've been using 5x5 to cut, and it's worked great.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I assume on the 7-day split you will be training each "muscle group" or "bodypart" once a week? If so, the frequency won't be high enough.

If you want to look bigger in a t-shirt, try a 4-day upper/lower split, increase your cals and smash the upper body on support days.

If you like I can send you a program that I used to put on a fair bit of size when already at a pretty similar level to you? It also helped get my bench right up.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh 5/3/1 can be pretty killer lol.
Also, it's not possible to effectively lose weight and gain muscle at the same time unless you're using anabolic substances.
Actually you can. But it requires a perfect diet and slow progress, Few terms and conditions but do-able, especially if you're fat.

+1 for FBW/SS for weightloss. Break down every single muscle in your body including the big leg muscles and you don't even need cardio, just sit on the couch and burn fat haha. Squat often and run HIIT or complexes and you'll be binging on fast food and still losing weight.

I assume on the 7-day split you will be training each "muscle group" or "bodypart" once a week? If so, the frequency won't be high enough.

If you want to look bigger in a t-shirt, try a 4-day upper/lower split, increase your cals and smash the upper body on support days.

If you like I can send you a program that I used to put on a fair bit of size when already at a pretty similar level to you? It also helped get my bench right up.
Yeh I'd like that. Shoot through the program :distrust:

Edit: Google Docs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AriKgXhru7J2dGZDQkVESDlyenZfaW5DbEVOcUhFQWc&output=html

Last edited: