Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've lost track of weeks and the like. But yeah, it would be Week 39 or 40 by my quick calculations.

Not getting my hopes up, will believe it when I see that polished aluminium frame in the flesh.

krisko

Likes Dirt
've heard the same 2 weeks!

Funny I felt OK on the XTC29 replacement bike on a 7hour ride last w'end, fireroads etc
Then on todays 2 hour singletrack ride was feeling battered by the end.

Im too old I need the cush for my toosh

tegski

Likes Dirt
I was getting the same message yesterday - 2-3 weeks ie arriving just before the worlds! Bike shop said that it would be pretty busy for them if that happened as they would have to get all of the bikes ready…I would imagine that anyone who has laid out the bucks here in Canberra is quite a keen rider and they would be in the Worlds or the Scott 24hr!
We shall see…(I am however enjoying riding in the mud and not worrying too much about the state of the drivetrain on the Anthem X2 loaner - thanks Giant:))

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Being stuck at home with no riding as a result of getting my wisdom teeth out a few days ago, i got bored and stripped the PXC2 wheels down that came with my AX29er and weighed them. I know there are some numbers on their weights floating around, but i wanted to see first hand:

Front:

Rear:

Total: 912g + 1017g = 1929g

tzkev

Likes Bikes
Personally im not sure if these wheels are what you call light weight, but after reading the ad on Ebay for the the TWE 29" wheels that are built for racing (@ 1460 for the pair) I assume that they are not bad at all.

I think I will weigh my wheels tomorrow for a comparison.

Kev

krisko

Likes Dirt
XT 29er wheelset 1850 grams
Stans 355 with Hope II hubs double butted spokes 1720 grams
American classic 1580 grams
Giant 29er wheels 2400grams
Giant P-XC 1930grams
Bontrager Rythem 29 2200grams

A great trail wheelset IMHO certainly wouldnt be worth paying extra for a set of XT's....

tegski

Likes Dirt
I had 905g front and 1000g rear…but then I took off the rimstrips.
Weight was for the wheel and hub only ie no rimstrips, skewers, discs or cassette.

preemo

Likes Dirt
I'm growing really fond of my replacement XTC 29er. If Giant offered me a good deal I would buy it, and change the stem/handlebars immediately!

Any idea what Giant will do with the loan bikes once the new and improved Anthem 29ers arrive in about 4 weeks time?

tegski

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking similar things…what would Giant do with all of the loaner bikes…prob sell them to the bike shops (at cost minus some) for demo models…I would probably be happy with a deal too.
(I'll even put a Giant banner up in the Worlds pit lane for them.:))
What are the chances…?

Last edited:

krisko

Likes Dirt
Yep Im loving the replacement 29er XTC also and at 10.7kg's, with A/Classic wheels, KCNC seatpost and comfy WTB Ti saddle she's very light.

Doing a couple of laps of the Scott course had me wanting the Anthem back. Those rocks break you down after a while....Team of 4 so will be bearable should the Anthem's not arrive before the Scott.

Dictatorsaurus

Likes Bikes
A few questions for those who got to the ride the Anthem 29.

- How are the stock wheels and can they be setup tubeless with gorilla tape?

- Are the components such as stem, post and bar heavy?

- What type of FD does the frame use? (high clamp/low clamp)

- How efficient is the suspension mashing out of the saddle on the climbs?

- Does the bike feel large and sluggish due to the long chain stay?

- Does the bike feel more like a trail bike or more like a XC race bike?

- Any particular negatives?

Thanks.

Don't expect too much feedback - from memory only 2 or 3 people in the thread managed to ride the bike for more than a few days before the recall. Someone here is running around on an XL so could have some feedback for you.

Still hanging out... Its tempting to go for a 29r HT but I just think the FS would be so much more versatile and if the weight penalty is approx 2kg's seems worth waiting...

tegski

Likes Dirt

- How are the stock wheels and can they be setup tubeless with gorilla tape?

- Are the components such as stem, post and bar heavy?

- What type of FD does the frame use? (high clamp/low clamp)

- How efficient is the suspension mashing out of the saddle on the climbs?

- Does the bike feel large and sluggish due to the long chain stay?

- Does the bike feel more like a trail bike or more like a XC race bike?

- Any particular negatives?

Thanks.

Wheels 1900g = fine for me.
Planning to convert to tubeless withthe inner tube method - which has worked well with the 26er Anthem X2 that I am currently riding (same Giant rims)

Components - Look solid - Bar changing to Carbon to save wrists - as my bar is 25.4mm stem will change too. Maybe post too if feeling rich…nothing really wrong with them though.

FD Can't remember/don't care…does the job!

Suspension - Great - if I push I got most movement from the front - lock out and fly…

Sluggish - No

Feel - XC and smooooth.

Negatives -I can't ride it as it is with LBS/Giant still :(

Dictatorsaurus

Likes Bikes
Wheels 1900g = fine for me.
Planning to convert to tubeless withthe inner tube method - which has worked well with the 26er Anthem X2 that I am currently riding (same Giant rims)

Components - Look solid - Bar changing to Carbon to save wrists - as my bar is 25.4mm stem will change too. Maybe post too if feeling rich…nothing really wrong with them though.

FD Can't remember/don't care…does the job!

Suspension - Great - if I push I got most movement from the front - lock out and fly…

Sluggish - No

Feel - XC and smooooth.

Negatives -I can't ride it as it is with LBS/Giant still :(

Thanks for the info.

The reason I'm asking about the FD is because I'm going to take off all the 10-speed components and go with 9-speed.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Right, so we're in week 39 now I believe - the week that I was down for delivery. Fingers crossed this is the lucky week.

The reason I'm asking about the FD is because I'm going to take off all the 10-speed components and go with 9-speed.
What's the reasoning behind this decision? Have some nicer 9-speed components on hand?

Last edited: