Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

Dictatorsaurus

Likes Bikes
Right, so we're in week 39 now I believe - the week that I was down for delivery. Fingers crossed this is the lucky week.

What's the reasoning behind this decision? Have some nicer 9-speed components on hand?
I hear that question often :)

The main reason for switching to 9-speed X9 and X0 is because of grip shift. No grip shift offered for 10-speed. Honestly I hate riding with triggers and can't imagine using them again.

I have a few 9-speed X9 components which I would slap on. The stock 10-speed XT would get sold.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Whats wrong with Nino 10 speed grip shifts?

On the other hand the easier action of shifting of 10 speed triggers is welcomed.
Shifting is easier and faster but the biggest trump card is the closer ratios. You always seam to be in your preferred cadence, meaning less fatigue and quicker lap times.

With the 36 at the back I find Im never having to use granny gear, which means less chance of chain suck!

Jubas

Likes Dirt
There's a relatively good (albeit brief) review on twentynineinches.com

So pedaling out of the paddock with the Pro Pedal set to the #2 setting, I was quite pleased to find a quick accelerating scooter that remained that way in the saddle, out of the saddle, big or small gear. This was really getting good here. I am a pedaling response snob, even at the expense of plushness. The Anthem X 29er just moved out smartly with no feeling of dragging something behind you or anti squat or whatever. Yet, it was very supple when seated in the chatter. Impressive!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Makes me want one now.
same here, after some hairy moments down travs at YYs, the XTC29 has its limits (or I do), anyway waiting till my lbs gets them and then it's a lay-by.

Bodin

GMBC
same here, after some hairy moments down travs at YYs, the XTC29 has its limits
It's the ability to "sit 'n spin" on less-than-smooth flats that's attracting me. The XTC does a great job (for a hardtail) of smoothing the trails, but it still bounces me off the saddle more than I'd like and I can only imagine what 100mm of efficient travel might add to my level of comfort over long distances.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
It's the ability to "sit 'n spin" on less-than-smooth flats that's attracting me. The XTC does a great job (for a hardtail) of smoothing the trails, but it still bounces me off the saddle more than I'd like and I can only imagine what 100mm of efficient travel might add to my level of comfort over long distances.
Yeah, that's what i'm looking forward to the most as well. I'm riding a 26er hardtail at the moment so the shift to the AX29er will be a big step up - wheel size, dually, weight improvement, better geometry than my current (and what is rather basic) bike.

Bodin

GMBC
Just spoke to my Giant contact and asked him to find me one by hook or by crook.

Some interesting discoveries, which I won't post here, as I know how much interest there is in this thread and it's not the place for "I know this guy who reckons..."

However, the one bit that I will post here is that the first shipment was basically sold in its entirety to shop staff. :rolleyes: LOL

Anyways, my friend has told me that I've joined a long list, the next shipment is pretty much sold already and not to expect anything before week 50.

I've told him to kill people if he has to in order to get me one sooner. ;)

Jubas

Likes Dirt
However, the one bit that I will post here is that the first shipment was basically sold in its entirety to shop staff. :rolleyes: LOL

Anyways, my friend has told me that I've joined a long list, the next shipment is pretty much sold already and not to expect anything before week 50.

I've told him to kill people if he has to in order to get me one sooner. ;)
That's kind of what my bike shop mentioned - they were expecting a few in week 50.. i don't know if i can wait another 2-3 months though. I'm in week 42, but there are more coming in 50.

Hopefully that 'next shipment which is sold out' refers to the one mine is in!

tegski

Likes Dirt
That's why I originally ordered…was looking at the bike about two weeks before the first delivery and was told that the next shipment was Christmas! So I put the order in to get the bike and had it for a whole three days! 26er AnthemX2 as a loaner in the meantime…but it looks as if I will not be getting the bike back for the Worlds 24hr solo in 2 weeks:( Still hoping though…

It is already very popular in Australia and very well priced - how many bikes make it here compared to the US…I would imagine that this is the major market for Giant. In the UK the prices seem to make it a bit of a harder decision compared to the 26ers.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How much does this industry run on rumour and innuendo! I was told the exact opposite.

Last edited:

tegski

Likes Dirt
How would you tell anyway? If the orders go into the system from each shop…how would Giant know if the bike was for the customers of the shop or the staff of the shop?
(And frankly why would Giant care…they have still sold a bike:))
But hey, I'm an ex-salesperson and not even in the bike industry…but I am a customer keen to get his new ride back...

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
How would you tell anyway? If the orders go into the system from each shop…how would Giant know if the bike was for the customers of the shop or the staff of the shop?
(And frankly why would Giant care…they have still sold a bike:))
But hey, I'm an ex-salesperson and not even in the bike industry…but I am a customer keen to get his new ride back...
I'm guessing Giant offer staff at their dealers a discount off the bikes or a chance to buy them direct at wholesale - it looks good if all your salespeople are riding your bikes - and Giant would have thousands of salespeople in Australia.

- Joel

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I just tried to order one today, and was told not until at least week 47 - that's like late November.

Given that some prick stole my bike, I can't wait that long :( Something else it is...

michaelg

Likes Dirt
I just tried to order one today, and was told not until at least week 47 - that's like late November.

Given that some prick stole my bike, I can't wait that long :( Something else it is...
Sorry to here your bike was stolen, That's a real bummer.

That date connot be right ! I order my bike on the 28/8/10 and I was told I should have it week 46 !!!!!! I recently asked around and most shops where talking about week 52 ?

preemo

Likes Dirt

Mate, talk to your local Giant store and ask them to talk to Giant too. I'm sure they'll look after you.