Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

wingy

Likes Dirt
I have a little update on the performance of my Anthem. Over the weekend I did the Merida 24 hour here in Brisbane and the bike was faultless. I suffered a whole lot less than last year when I did the same event on almost the same course on my XTC. The stock running gear didn't miss a beat and the bike just felt right for the whole race. My lower back was shredded last year but this year it stayed pain free for the entire race. There wasn't massive amounts of climbing but the few technical ascents were handled really well. Just sit down and pedal. I managed 18 laps of what I think is a pretty tough course.
There is a full race report at my blogspot but not much more in way of bike performance. More just race stuff. My thoughts about this bike when I first got it are being confirmed more and more each time I race it in an enduro.
http://grahamsvariedadventures.blogspot.com/

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed on the Frameskin.
I have one on my Tallboy.
It has had a few good hits through crashes but the frame still looks fantastic.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
For the fussy people - one word - Frameskin
Lovely fellow in Canberra makes the kits.
Very happy with my set on the Anthem.
Bookmarked. It actually came with some generic Frameskin dots that I have applied in all the obvious spots....but the kit could come in handy in the future.

Gripsport's 15mm fork grip is on its way....so that's transport sorted.

Last edited:

Dictatorsaurus

Likes Bikes
You could just Push the existing Fox that came with the bike... what's the advantage of going to the RT3?
Apparently the RT3 has better sensitivity to bumps and a better platform. Every person who has compared the RT3 to the RP23 vastly favors the RT3.

I just called Giant. The size is 6.5" x 1.5"

Next question is, exactly how do you remove the shock from the Anthem X frame?

Last edited:

Dictatorsaurus

Likes Bikes
Can you get these direct from Push in the US or do you have to buy them through a local importer? Its the sort of thing that you'd want Push to tune for your specs before shipping so you don't want a Push "off-the-shelf" tune.
I ordered mine directly from Push. its will be a new shock tuned to your weight, frame and riding style.

By the way I'm in the US.

nsr077

Likes Dirt
Im in. Stock save for the carnegies. Looking for a good front mud/winter tyre - please PM me if you have anything you'd like to sell.

thanks

Attachments

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Didn't think it would happen to me but it did.........broken chain.....GGGRRRRRR. The rear was skipping a bit but now it's not changing in the back properly and skipping more. I'll have to do some tinkering, may have damaged the cassette when it broke or the derailleur not sure which.......Other than that bike is still going great guns.

asa572

Likes Dirt
I just did a rough calculation on how easy it is to go sub 11kg on a anthem 29er

My bike out of the box medium 11.800kg
New KCNC post $100 save .138g
New bars Giant slr $125 save .141G
New Tubes 26" conti $35 save .134g
New Full Titanium cassette $220 save .138g
New tyres Furious fred 2.0 $150P save .480g
New rims (stans Crest) $200 save .160g
Totals =$830 10.609KG

All weight info i have either gathered from this thread or from weighing my own components. All prices include freight to my door, but does not inc labor to install.:eek:

Smokes the Fisher

So what did you get it down to??
Pics are necessary for proof!

tzkev

Likes Bikes
I have mine (medium) down to 10.6kg (including pedals) with the following changes
TWE wheel set
Rocket Ron tyres (tubeless)
Alligator rotors
KCNC seat post
FSA Kforce bars
KCNC stem
Removed front derailleur, 2 chain rings, shifter, cables and fitted Ethirteen low mount guide.
Pedals are xpedo titanium

When it's time to replace the rear cassette I will be able to save another 190 grams with a Lucky Nino titanium cassette and Yaban chain. I could also shave some more grams with lighter rotor bolts, seat clamp, chain ring bolts etc.

Kev

DaveOZ

Cannon Fodder
I finally had a chance to sit on one of these at my LBS. Really impressive bike, especially for the price. I could not believe how light it is!!

They only have one left in medium and I'm seriously tempted to buy it. I'm told the new models coming out in Oct will have two 29er duallys. I'm betting one will be high end carbon priced well above the current Anthem and the other will be cheaper with lesser equipment. This adds more motivation to buy the current one.

I've not ridden a MTB seriously for 10 years and never owned a dually. Been riding road bikes and commute to work on an Lynskey CX. I figured the Anthem X 29er would be a great bike to start riding the local forrest trails.

They only have one left in medium and I'm seriously tempted to buy it. I'm told the new models coming out in Oct will have two 29er duallys. I'm betting one will be high end carbon priced well above the current Anthem and the other will be cheaper with lesser equipment.
I've heard different... that they are having trouble with design in making a carbon version, so there won't be any movement there for the 2012 range. The guy at my LBS said they'll continue with the current 'full specced' version, but also stock have a cheaper one, equivalent to the AX29 2 or 3 in the states.

I'd love to know though! Any Giant reps out there?

matty87

Cannon Fodder
picked one up from th local a week ago. Im much the same as old mate a few posts up in having not ridden a mountain bike since high school and never having ownd a bike with front suspension let alone a dualy. but i love it after a week. I comute to work on a bianchi roady in the dry but the way to work gets rather crappy in the wet so i have taken to riding this. it only takes a short while longer and feels much safer. And then the fun to be had on the tracks on the weekend is awesome i should have got into this years ago.

I know its been covered but have most people changed the seat and the handlebars? or is it just that iv come off a road bike that the seat is annoying me?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I know its been covered but have most people changed the seat and the handlebars? or is it just that iv come off a road bike that the seat is annoying me?
The Fizik is an odd beast.....work with it for a bit. After the odd twinge early on I've quickly gotten the feel for it. That said....if you are going to commute with this bike then I'd swap the seat. But off the track....it was fine for me.

As for the bars.....I shortened the OE bar down to 630mm, set it up for full back sweep and fitted some Ergon GX2 grips. I can run the bike all day in this arrangement....no wrist issues.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
picked one up from th local a week ago. Im much the same as old mate a few posts up in having not ridden a mountain bike since high school and never having ownd a bike with front suspension let alone a dualy. but i love it after a week. I comute to work on a bianchi roady in the dry but the way to work gets rather crappy in the wet so i have taken to riding this. it only takes a short while longer and feels much safer. And then the fun to be had on the tracks on the weekend is awesome i should have got into this years ago.

I stuck with the seat and found it quite good after a while. The bar I couldn't stand, so swapped it out for a Salsa Pro Moto Carbon - much nicer to ride with.

For those interested, I've posted the process of converting the stock wheels to tubeless. I was a complete newbie with tubeless, so documented a fair amount. Those on slow connections, don't bother! (loads of pictures!)

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...-29er-wheels&p=2392372&viewfull=1#post2392372

Bodin

GMBC
I stuck with the seat and found it quite good after a while. The bar I couldn't stand, so swapped it out for a Salsa Pro Moto Carbon - much nicer to ride with.

For those interested, I've posted the process of converting the stock wheels to tubeless. I was a complete newbie with tubeless, so documented a fair amount. Those on slow connections, don't bother! (loads of pictures!)

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...-29er-wheels&p=2392372&viewfull=1#post2392372
Great post in that thread. Don't worry - you're not the only person who's installed the wrong tyre on the wrong wheel in the wrong direction at one time or another... :D

jn35646

Cannon Fodder
Has anyone tried tubeless conversion using the Bontrager parts with the S-XC rims/stock Maxxis Crossmarks that come on the AX29er3? If so please chime in, I would like to convert mine, mostly to avoid thorn punctures but improved grip doesn't hurt either.

406892 Black 29er Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric
250324 Tubeless Rim Valve