Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

armara

Likes Bikes
just picked up mine today. the price was that good that my mate that was with me had one made up for him to buy also.

Tom Wallace Cycles has stock today. 3 sold already out of 6.

the X0 looks great.

mark.:02.47-tranquillity:

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Got mine today too, pretty much the same as the 2011. New bar though, think I'll be getting rid of it, not sold on it. Other than that looks the goods, ride report coming soon.

snedden9485

Likes Bikes
I went in to the shop to look at these today, was intending to buy one, but ended up going with the XTC 29er composite .Im not a fan of the 2012 Anthem XO colour scheme. Very plain, but will be easy to keep clean.

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Trying to setup the suspension but i've got no idea how to work the shock or fork (some idea) other than trial and error. The SRAM website is useless, so is the user manual.

Has anyone got any links that break down what lever/knob/button is what on the Monarch and the SID? I want my Fox back :(

armara

Likes Bikes
Hi,

They are very simular to the fox gear. On the Monarch the blue lever to the left is open; straight down is half open (like the number 2 on the RP23) and to the right is closed. The red dial is your dampening.

The Sid fork, the left leg has positive and negative air (put air in the top and bottom). On the right, bottom you have a dampening screw with a rabbit and tortoise (fast and slow); on the top the big outer dial opens and closes the fork. The smaller dial allows you to adjust the amount the fork is locked out before it gives way. Dial it to the right and when locked out it is like a solid fork, to the left and when locked out it is solid until you hit a bump and then it will open to give you suspension (a bit like the brain on the specialized bikes).

Mark.

Macr

Likes Dirt
If that is not meant to be there, I guess you can count yourself lucky, that the frame is not carbon.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I noticed a dent on the downtube today.

Should this be a concern or it's just cosmetic?
that's probably the best place to have a dent, inspect welds and alignment around BB - I would also pull off shock and make sure rear triangle moves smoothly.

If ok, then you better back off on ramming over logs! :smokin::smokin:

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slightly off-topic, but I've just pulled the trigger on a set of TWE wheels.

I've opted for the Arch rims, TWE hubs, DT Comp spokes on drive side, and DT Revo spokes everywhere else. Built weight (taped and valved, no rotor or cassette) was 809 front and 977 rear = 1786 total.

Not a great improvement over the 1929gms of stock wheel weight, however...

I've fitted these up with Ikon 29 x 2.2 EXO EXC tyres (595 and 598gms) and Jet Black rotors (185 and 160mm - unweighed). Total weight ready to ride (tyres, rotors, No Tubes goop and cassette) is 1660 front plus 2080 back = 3740gm.

Stock wheels ready to ride (rotors, cassette, Stans strip, goop and Ardent 29x2.2 tyres) was 1952 + 2370 = 4322gm.

So total weight difference = 582gm.

Yes - granted, I was using a heavy Ardent on the stock wheels (quoted 765), but to pick up nearly 600 grams, I'm pretty stoked. As yet undecided whether this will be a special occasion only wheelset, or for everyday use - the original plan was special occasion only, but I think the wheels will certainly be suitable for every day if I choose to go that way.

And the final word - $720 for handbuilt wheels from Greg on Stans Arch vs RRP of $799 for the pre-built Stans wheels sold locally - no brainer for me!

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Hi,

They are very simular to the fox gear. On the Monarch the blue lever to the left is open; straight down is half open (like the number 2 on the RP23) and to the right is closed. The red dial is your dampening.

The Sid fork, the left leg has positive and negative air (put air in the top and bottom). On the right, bottom you have a dampening screw with a rabbit and tortoise (fast and slow); on the top the big outer dial opens and closes the fork. The smaller dial allows you to adjust the amount the fork is locked out before it gives way. Dial it to the right and when locked out it is like a solid fork, to the left and when locked out it is solid until you hit a bump and then it will open to give you suspension (a bit like the brain on the specialized bikes).

Mark.
Mark, you are the man, thank you. Why is it so hard to find out that on the SRAM website? Other than trial and error what sort of pressure to weight should I be running in the Monarch?

snedden9485

Likes Bikes
Slightly off-topic, but I've just pulled the trigger on a set of TWE wheels.

I've opted for the Arch rims, TWE hubs, DT Comp spokes on drive side, and DT Revo spokes everywhere else. Built weight (taped and valved, no rotor or cassette) was 809 front and 977 rear = 1786 total.

Not a great improvement over the 1929gms of stock wheel weight, however...

I've fitted these up with Ikon 29 x 2.2 EXO EXC tyres (595 and 598gms) and Jet Black rotors (185 and 160mm - unweighed). Total weight ready to ride (tyres, rotors, No Tubes goop and cassette) is 1660 front plus 2080 back = 3740gm.

Stock wheels ready to ride (rotors, cassette, Stans strip, goop and Ardent 29x2.2 tyres) was 1952 + 2370 = 4322gm.

So total weight difference = 582gm.

Yes - granted, I was using a heavy Ardent on the stock wheels (quoted 765), but to pick up nearly 600 grams, I'm pretty stoked. As yet undecided whether this will be a special occasion only wheelset, or for everyday use - the original plan was special occasion only, but I think the wheels will certainly be suitable for every day if I choose to go that way.

And the final word - $720 for handbuilt wheels from Greg on Stans Arch vs RRP of $799 for the pre-built Stans wheels sold locally - no brainer for me!
Thats not a bad price. CAn he go much lighter with them on Stans rims?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt

skinya

Likes Dirt
front xt derailer

Front shifting started out crisp and sharp ,but after minimal mileage i notice its not as good.After close inspection cage has quite a lot of play.Compared to slx derailer on my xtc 29er ,which buy the way has done far more k,s.and is still solid as a rock.Just wondering if anyone is having issues?:mmph: