Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

murf58

Likes Bikes
I think your right - but we can hope.

My own concern (with a custom build) would be finding a fox fork (kashima) to fit the Overdrive 2 steerer tube. Apparently it is just not possible at the moment (without resorting to a reducing headset kit) - the forks are only sold on complete bikes from what I hear.

I hope we do get the frameset, however suspect again that we won't.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I think your right - but we can hope.

My own concern (with a custom build) would be finding a fox fork (kashima) to fit the Overdrive 2 steerer tube. Apparently it is just not possible at the moment (without resorting to a reducing headset kit) - the forks are only sold on complete bikes from what I hear.
At that point it might be worthwhile picking up an X1/X2 if that makes it to aus and parting out everything except the frame and fork, although that does leave you with a fairly average fork (in the X2's case - Reba RL).

The X2 is apparently retailing at $3,300 USD according to BikeRadar, so perhaps about ~3k in aus. Perhaps recoup about $500-1000 by selling some of the parts? that might be the best way to go down the frameset route..

To be honest, i'm also really interested to see how much the Giant carbon wheels retail for. I wonder if they can break the typical market price point, perhaps based on a) scale, and b) that they do their own lay-ups

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
At that point it might be worthwhile picking up an X1/X2 if that makes it to aus and parting out everything except the frame and fork, although that does leave you with a fairly average fork (in the X2's case - Reba RL).

The X2 is apparently retailing at $3,300 USD according to BikeRadar, so perhaps about ~3k in aus. Perhaps recoup about $500-1000 by selling some of the parts? that might be the best way to go down the frameset route..

To be honest, i'm also really interested to see how much the Giant carbon wheels retail for. I wonder if they can break the typical market price point, perhaps based on a) scale, and b) that they do their own lay-ups
Can you normally buy the Giant wheelsets separately new? If so where?

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Can you normally buy the Giant wheelsets separately new? If so where?
Ha - good question.. i've not even looked to be honest. The Aussie website seems to suggest that you can't.. i guess i've never looked into it given that they came stock on my Ax29er

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
You know...I don't see a compelling reason there to look to updating from a 2011 alloy framed model. They are nicely specced and all but...no drool here. Am I broken?

On another note...fork & shock are returning from a TBSM service along with a complete Enduro pivot bearing kit. And I've a Maestro bearing press kit on back order. Hopefully the Anthem will soo return from being a dusted scramble of alloy hanging in the corner of the shed...

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Guys at MC Cyclery confirmed no frameset option being brought in, which is a) unsurprising, and b) a little disappointing, although it'd have to be a pretty decent price for me to replace my alloy 2011 frame

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that's a pretty awesome looking machine and spec wise, impressive. just sent links to mate who's looking for a 29er FS, he's trying his best to find an alternative but when the spec gets close the price aren't, when the price is close, spec is ordinary. Think he's nearly ready.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Normally when would Giant release the rest of the 2013 bikes? I am keen on a 29er hardtail? Thinking I will wait and see what the new model(s) brings. Otherwise could get the 2012 model at a pretty good price by then.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Giant have been running out the anthem 29er for some months now with 25% off or so. usually the discounts start in winter, so I reckon Giant are going to release much earlier than usual (or they accidentally brought in an extra conatiner load of 29ers ;D )

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Things fall apart when allen keys are around...

AnthemInBits.jpg

Sometimes you need to break stuff in order to fix it...

The bottom shock mounts (in front and above of the BB) are notchy and therefore toast. And one of the centre pivot bearings was partially rusted around the shaft!! Had to carefully drift the pivot shaft out of the frame with a pin to get it apart...not all that great after just 750km and almost no humidity!!

Otherwise all good. A new set of Enduro bearings is set to replace the original equipment JNK bearings and it'll then go back together with a lot more careful lubrication than the Giant factory appeared not to use!

Last edited:
Hi All, Wondering if anyone can help me make a decision here:

I am looking at possibly purcahsing an Anthem 29er in the next month or two, and have the choice of the 2012 Anthem X0 or 2012 Anthem X1

Can probably get the X0 as cheap as $2600 and the X1 can be had for as low as $2100 in some places, so my main question is do people think the X0 is worth the $500 extra over the X1? im pretty new to mountain biking and while i can see where the differences between the two bikes lie(Suspension/Brakes/drivetrain) i would like to know if this extra $500 is good value for money with the better components, or whether they are just more expensive components for the sake of it and the X1 is a lot better value for money?

Cheers all

Rob

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hi All, Wondering if anyone can help me make a decision here:

I am looking at possibly purcahsing an Anthem 29er in the next month or two, and have the choice of the 2012 Anthem X0 or 2012 Anthem X1

Can probably get the X0 as cheap as $2600 and the X1 can be had for as low as $2100 in some places, so my main question is do people think the X0 is worth the $500 extra over the X1? im pretty new to mountain biking and while i can see where the differences between the two bikes lie(Suspension/Brakes/drivetrain) i would like to know if this extra $500 is good value for money with the better components, or whether they are just more expensive components for the sake of it and the X1 is a lot better value for money?

Cheers all

Rob
Given you are new to mountain biking, i'd recommend the X1 - firstly $500 is $500, second, its a much less complicated bit of gear - the rear and front shocks are easier to setup and to use, and parts replacement will be far cheaper . the gears and brakes etc will work well. The money you save could also be used for an upgrade along the way - eg wheels can be upgraded for less than $400 to a good set, the other upgrade option might be a seat dropper post - particualrly useful for a newish rider if you have a fair bit of technical downhill -gets your weight back and low far easier.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
+1 ^

See chops you should just buy mine as it will save you further dollars, has the brake upgrade already and can even come with the dropper post upgrade for the right pirce :D

But yes - far easier to dial the Fox suspension for the novice. SRAM/Shimano is a personal choice and theres really not much between them. Otherwise wheelset, bars, saddle, stem, post, frame etc all identical

Cheers guys

Boxer - definetly still considering yours, just looking at options as i made the mistake of buying a talon 0 as my first bike instead of spending an extra $200 to get an XTC when i bought my first bike (didnt know if i would get into it that much) and regretted it ever since - dont want to make the same mistake again.

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys

Boxer - definetly still considering yours, just looking at options as i made the mistake of buying a talon 0 as my first bike instead of spending an extra $200 to get an XTC when i bought my first bike (didnt know if i would get into it that much) and regretted it ever since - dont want to make the same mistake again.

Go the Anthem O... It is 0.5kg lighter to begin with and the XT shimano kit really is top shelf in terms of performance. I had the SRAM X7 gear on my last Trance and it was good, but actually wore out fairly quickly. I've done 24hr races, 100km marathons on my Anthem and not a hint of a complaint!

Don't be put off by the suspension set up of the Rock Shox, it is not at all difficult to dial in. Infact, it is quite easy. Both the fork and the rear shock have PSI guides for rider weights and the stachions actually have marked gradations to easily measure sag. I put in the recommended PSI for my weight, checked the sag and finely adjusted to suit my preference - haven't touched it since! Smooth ;)

X 2 for the 0.

Bought the 0 3 months ago. The XT gear set is bullet proof as is the rest of,the bike.
Had no issue dialing in the suspension. The bike has been faultless - just finished the Convict 100 on it last weekend.

spend the few extra dollars up front. Also check the price versus what you get. I was happy to pay more for mine from the LBS and have 1 year of servicing (2 done already!) + great ongoing advice.

Either way you are buying a great bike.