Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

danton45

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the info boxer, might get onto T7 and order one me thinks. Been after a bike carrier for a while now and I think this fits the bill.
Just another thing to factor into the cost. (If you are Victoria not sure what the rules are in the other states)

You will need to remove the numer plate and put it on the bike rack when in use or buy a bike rack number plate

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...dardNumberPlates/BicycleRackNumberPlates.htm#

otherwise you could get a fine..

jossa

Likes Bikes
How do you guys transport the Anthem in/on a car.

I have a roof rack which should mount on the downtube but as the downtube on the Anthem is huge and not round I'm not comfortable using this mount.
I then bought a mount for the fork but as the bike has a pull thru axle I'm not sure this works either. I think I will be able to make it work by pulling the mount's shaft out on putting through the axle but it's a bit fiddly.
Never had a problem with my Thule roof mounted carrier. Freeways, corners, bumps no dramas, no damage to bike.

I've been through the Black Spur a few times with it and the bike stayed on! If it can survive that I reckon it can survive nearly anything!

P1070476 (3).jpg

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Never had a problem with my Thule roof mounted carrier. Freeways, corners, bumps no dramas, no damage to bike.

I've been through the Black Spur a few times with it and the bike stayed on! If it can survive that I reckon it can survive nearly anything!

View attachment 237835

Shopping centre carparks?

http://thezeph.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/remember-two-things/

more than 50% of the guys i ride with who use roof racks have had an incident with bike on roof........

RazeR

Likes Dirt
I was using the roof racks but didn't like the way tw front wheel wobbled on the hwy (could see it through the sunroof).

Bought one of these http://www.isi-carriers.com/ (the 2 bike town and country version) and am very happy with it. Especially the power pivot that allows it to fold down with the bikes on to gain access to the back of the car.

The guy that designed and sells them is a local from Melbourne, and keen mountain biker, and a member on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Just another thing to factor into the cost. (If you are Victoria not sure what the rules are in the other states)

You will need to remove the numer plate and put it on the bike rack when in use or buy a bike rack number plate

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...dardNumberPlates/BicycleRackNumberPlates.htm#

otherwise you could get a fine..
Whilst not technically legal in QLD - I simply printed my own using a font very close to the QLD Transport font and the same colour to duplicate Accessory plates. Then laminated them and I velcro them on depending which car I'm driving. Bugger paying $70 for EACH accessory plate. The fine is only $60 and never been pulled over for them, they look the business

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Art, T7 Have free shipping at the moment. This will save you around $40, so jump on it.
I actually got on the site this morning and tried this but the free shipping doesn't apply to bulky items. Went through the purchase process and it comes up with $40 delivery charge at the end. Might contact them and see what the go is.

danton45

Likes Bikes
I actually got on the site this morning and tried this but the free shipping doesn't apply to bulky items. Went through the purchase process and it comes up with $40 delivery charge at the end. Might contact them and see what the go is.
Sorry to give you bum steer but T7 are saying it does not apply to bulky items. They really need to make this clear otherwise it's misleading. There is now a * saying does not include bulky items, I'm sure it was not there this morning.

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Sorry to give you bum steer but T7 are saying it does not apply to bulky items. They really need to make this clear otherwise it's misleading. There is now a * saying does not include bulky items, I'm sure it was not there this morning.
Does this mean you will pay for my shipping?

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Sorry. I was just trying to point out what I thought was a good deal. I'm fairly sure the "exception" was not on there this morning.....
That's alright mate, I was only kidding......the free shipping isn't quite free shipping. Still a pretty good deal none the less though

txfly

Cannon Fodder
1x10?

i tried searching this thread (and the whole WWW for that matter) for info on a 1x10 setup for the anthem. i have the anthem2 29er with sram x5 cranks. anyone have this setup?

[OutCast]

Likes Bikes
One Giant leap for ... me!

Just ordered my Anthem X 29er, run out 2012 deals are great... now what to tweak.

I've got XT trail pedals going on it, essentially so it is a full XT build. OCD.

A few questions ...

Frame Protection - whats best?
Replace the bars and the stem or just the bars?
Anyone recommend a comfortable seat... I'm only on the bike for ~2 hours at a time.
Anything I should be upgrading that I've missed?

Thanks ... will post pics once delivered.

[OutCast]

Likes Bikes
Well after some further research .. I've ordered...

Charge Spoon Ti Leather seat
Crank Brothers riser carbon bars
Ergon grips.

That should increase the comfort levels... Now the wait for delivery begins.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
[OutCast];2553335 said:
A few questions ...

Frame Protection - whats best?
Replace the bars and the stem or just the bars?
Anyone recommend a comfortable seat... I'm only on the bike for ~2 hours at a time.
Anything I should be upgrading that I've missed?

Thanks ... will post pics once delivered.
Frameskin.

If the CB bar has some sweep then you may need to shorten the stem. Mine now runs a Ragley Carnegie riser with a 90mm stem.

Your choice of a Spoon is a good one - another great saddle

Tubeless wheels. You already have the Ergon grips

Last edited:

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
I've noticed my headset has worked itself loose. Now I can't seem to get it seated properly. It's either too tight (turning the bars) or too loose and the headset wobbles???? I've also got play in the linkage behind the bottom bracket, no idea how to fix that. Might be time to hit the LBS. Oh yeah, the brakes are noisy as f%&k. I shouldv'e swapped em for some XT's when shimano had that offer.

I got the 2012 X0

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Brakes - first order some resin pads from discobrakes or whoever.

second, look up how to set them up, the avid method is a bit hit and miss, your eye will do a better job than their "system" (the adjustable thingies from v brakes)

third, bed them in with long hard brake, then let them cool down, then brake again - i just did this on a trail ride by only using the rear brake on a descent untill slowed, then didnt use them for 5 minutes of the ride.

You can get the semi metalics to bed in and not scream, but its far touchier to the mounting and moisture - i'm happy to replace pads more often at $8 a pair for a quiet ride thanks.

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Brakes - first order some resin pads from discobrakes or whoever.

second, look up how to set them up, the avid method is a bit hit and miss, your eye will do a better job than their "system" (the adjustable thingies from v brakes)

third, bed them in with long hard brake, then let them cool down, then brake again - i just did this on a trail ride by only using the rear brake on a descent untill slowed, then didnt use them for 5 minutes of the ride.

You can get the semi metalics to bed in and not scream, but its far touchier to the mounting and moisture - i'm happy to replace pads more often at $8 a pair for a quiet ride thanks.
Cheers for that. Sounds like a go. What'd you use to clean the rotors? Isocol? An 'expert' at an LBS said to take some sand paper to them?