Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Giant owe me a new frame - haha

2012 model and don't ask me how - no stacks other than minor offs....stuff happens. I am meant to be running the Convict this weekend.....
Washing the bike yesterday afternoon I found a crack in the same place on my 2013 Anthem 29er X 0 frame. Not as dramatic as yours but it's in the same place. I guess any frame can break, I just hope Giant do a quick turn around.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Washing the bike yesterday afternoon I found a crack in the same place on my 2013 Anthem 29er X 0 frame. Not as dramatic as yours but it's in the same place. I guess any frame can break, I just hope Giant do a quick turn around.

shit, better check mine

gc49

Likes Bikes
Designed issue they should have fixed by now

Definately something wrong with the design or manufacture around that point of the frame. Too many have cracked there for it to be coincidence/bad luck.

Mines currently in for a replacement at the moment for a crack in exactly the same place, but it's a 2011 26'er aluxx one (not that they've changed that section of the frame for the carbon or 29'ers since either, which also seem to have the prblem more noticably). Only done about 2000km on it (don't ride enough), and I'm definately not an aggressive rider or anything (most of that would have been fireroad).

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Definately something wrong with the design or manufacture around that point of the frame. Too many have cracked there for it to be coincidence/bad luck.

Mines currently in for a replacement at the moment for a crack in exactly the same place, but it's a 2011 26'er aluxx one (not that they've changed that section of the frame for the carbon or 29'ers since either, which also seem to have the prblem more noticably). Only done about 2000km on it (don't ride enough), and I'm definately not an aggressive rider or anything (most of that would have been fireroad).
Yeah mine is around 2000km. I am somewhat aggressive but not enough to break a bike I would think. Looking at the carbon 29er it looks like it is a bit stronger.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt

yea that's where they break , when they break. My original was a 2011 X3. they replaced it with an 2012 X1 frame. If you're the original owner they will replace it. Not sure what they'll do in case of a 26er now, since they most likely have no stock anymore. Mine was a 6 week turn around. They were waiting on a new shipment of frames at the time. When they had the issue with the original 29ers a few years back they were turning them around pretty quickly.

My 2012 X1 26er has done about 8k km now....

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep they taper the top tube down beautifully to the seat tube - then it's welded at the smallest part of taper, then you have a seat post levering back (and lateral sideways) on the weld, bike is fanged over everything as it's designed to do and it breaks as if it was designed to break, right where the weld meets the metal so hottest part of weld to metal and potentially weakest point.

don't think it's aggressive riding more poor design.

the good part being the life time warranty.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
don't think it's aggressive riding more poor design.

the good part being the life time warranty.
I'd say that's the case.

Warranty should be processed quite quickly. I wonder if the missus will understand why I need two bikes now just for this sort of instance.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
I had this happen to my 2011 Anthem X, then Giant replaced with 2012 Anthem X 26 (this one cracked same spot a month later). I asked the store and Giant if they could replace with the 29er 2013 and they sorted it for me. Just picked it up after a few weeks ago.

They would not sort out wheels and forks of course but kind of a cheap upgrade I thought.

Forks, BB, Wheels, Headset needed to be changed moving to 29. Couldn't use the BB and headset from the '12 Anthem and Giant gave the store credit for these.

The 2013 Carbon Anthem X 29er I have now is a lot more solid at that point that cracks.

I rode a demo Superfly the other week and noticed how they seem to secure this area at two points. http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly_100/superfly_100_al/

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not sure what they'll do in case of a 26er now, since they most likely have no stock anymore. Mine was a 6 week turn around. They were waiting on a new shipment of frames at the time. When they had the issue with the original 29ers a few years back they were turning them around pretty quickly.
At least for the 2013 model run 26ers were still being produced, it's just Giant Aus who decided we didn't need them, so it would still be possible to get a frame shipped in. What happens from now on I don't know, but with 27.5s apparently coming on stream, it's probable that 26er will not continue. There should be a fairly high degree of parts transferability from a 26er to a 27.5 without too vastly compromising things.

ClintC

Likes Dirt

Small update. Giant warranted the frame straight away. Should have my bike back start of next week.

whichway

Squid
My 2011 x 29er frame (one of the original shiny ones) cracked at a lug associated with the rear suspension. It was picked up when I put the bike in for a service. I'd had it for just over 2 years, with probably 18 months of single track riding.

Giant replaced the original aluminium frame with a carbon frame. :shocked: It was so nice I couldn't work out whether I should just hang it on the wall in the lounge room and admire it, but then I rode it, and I realised that it was never built just for looks. It was fantastic.

Thanks for For The Riders for picking up the crack and doing all of the warranty negotiations with Giant.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
My 2011 x 29er frame (one of the original shiny ones) cracked at a lug associated with the rear suspension. It was picked up when I put the bike in for a service. I'd had it for just over 2 years, with probably 18 months of single track riding.

Giant replaced the original aluminium frame with a carbon frame. :shocked: It was so nice I couldn't work out whether I should just hang it on the wall in the lounge room and admire it, but then I rode it, and I realised that it was never built just for looks. It was fantastic.

Thanks for For The Riders for picking up the crack and doing all of the warranty negotiations with Giant.
Wow. Full replacement to carbon frame without any cash on your side? If so I feel a bit slighted :)