Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

Grant Stubbs

Likes Bikes
Have checked over my 2012 (grey) anthem 29er and no signs of a crack. Is it strange that I am hoping to find one now I have heard about this carbon upgrade !!

I am tall and ride a large (could arguably be on XL) and post is a long way out - not nice knowing I could be riding something that could give way.

What does anyone think about the carbon frame upgrades on Bike exchange for $2k?

Grant Stubbs

Likes Bikes
1x10 conversion

Also have just ordered a Shadow + rear mech (clutched) and race face 32T Chain ring to do the 1x10 conversion. Hope it works out ok, will post pics etc. once i have got it all fitted up.

After research on here seems leaving the chian the original length may work (worth a try initially). That would be nice as then could easily put FD back on for certain events

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Also have just ordered a Shadow + rear mech (clutched) and race face 32T Chain ring to do the 1x10 conversion. Hope it works out ok, will post pics etc. once i have got it all fitted up.

After research on here seems leaving the chian the original length may work (worth a try initially). That would be nice as then could easily put FD back on for certain events
I just made the same move, but had to shorten the chain a few links - suspect you'll have difficulty leaving it the same! Perhaps you could purchase a second chain for use with a FD setup?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

I took three (four?) complete links out of mine when I switched to 30T 11-28 1x10 on mine. Putting the FD back on would be a pain in the arse...

marc.r

Likes Dirt
hey guys,

i'm looking at one of these for my dad. currently he gets around on a 140mm 26 inch trail bike that is woefully out of place for him. he has the air pumped up so hard and so much compression on his fork that he uses maybe 50% of his travel max. he has his seat set up high and his bars low and narrow. he has effectively tried to cross country his "trail" bike despite my protests.

I dont think ive ever seen him pedal out of the saddle and isnt a very flexible or aggressive rider. most of his ridding is done on firetrails (a lot of which are rutted potholed and very rocky) and some smooth singletrack.

he does enjoy nice long rides and there are quite a lot of long climbs around his regular routes.

currently looking at the 2014 x1 or x2.

my only concerns are the following.

1. he is an old guy and while he seems most comfortable setting up his current bike pretty steep i feel that he may be uncomfortable on what is a much less slack setup then currently.

2. he weighs circa 93kg. Ive seen numerous instances in this thead of frames failing. while I notice warranty support is quite good it would be disconcerting to buy a bike you know has a high chance of failure.

these two ideas make me think he might be more "comfortable" on an a trance 29er despite not neading the extra travel.

anyone have any advice??

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
He'll be fine on the Anthem. They are super stable for a race bike. As for frame failures? All manufactures have them and Giants support seems to be among the best in the industry.
In saying that, the Trance is also a great bike.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
As for frame failures? All manufactures have them and Giants support seems to be among the best in the industry.
I think I may have to use my lifetime frame warranty. :(
When is a crack a frame failure? Where the top tube meets the seat tube is some fine cracks. It's through the clear coat and into the paint. I don't want to take it in for nothing, but I also don't want to race a 12 hour next week on a frame that may fail. Wotayarekon?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw that, that's why I think it's just clear/paint cracking. If it were a crack in the carbon you would have a fairly straight, well defined line in the crack.

Go for a road ride, have a really good listen to the frame and see if it makes any obvious noise it. Wasn't previously.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If the frame is flexing enough at that junction to cause that much paint cracking then there is an issue with the integrity of the carbon. I think that it will be warrantied.

Would I ride it in a race ? I guess it depends how long the 'paint' cracking had been there. If it appeared on the last ride you did then I would be cautious as it could get worse quickly. If it has slowly developed over time then you should be fine.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The bike gets cleaned pretty regular. It's the first time I've noticed anything. No strange noises other than the rider.
Tomorrow I'll take it in to the shop where I bought it and see what they say.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Will do. At the very least it will put my mind at ease.
Hey Piston
Will be interesting to see the outcome. Considering this is a common location on these frames for failure, I would be weary of it to. How's the training going by the way? Riding at Baw Baw this weekend?
Cheers, art