Giant Trance/Trance X

ViS

Likes Dirt
Ugly? Nah. Great looking bikes I reckon.

I have the '09 X1 and love it. Picked it up for $3k at end of year sale last year. Not bad for a $5400 RRP.

Don't have any pictures other than a heap of enduro race ones where the bike is filthy dusty. The blue is much darker and better looking than in the official picture on the giant site:

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_au/bikes/models/zooms/2009/700_trance_x1.jpg

You can't go past it for a do-it all bike for the price. Pretty much full XT components for $3k is damn hard to beat. It climbs great, and has handled anything I've thrown at it easily.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
works for me :) New bars though so a bit of tinkering will follow i'm sure. actually looking at last setup they were angled better....

so i'll see how it goes

Last edited:

MTBm8

Likes Bikes
cable routing

I can see you had a green rear derailleur cable running quite direct but have gone back to a black cable through the traditional cable route. What were the advantages and disadvantages as I have full length cables on my Trance X running the original route but never quite happy about its location as it passes the shock. Any advice for a better route/solution?

Ugly? Nah. Great looking bikes I reckon.

I have the '09 X1 and love it. Picked it up for $3k at end of year sale last year. Not bad for a $5400 RRP.

Don't have any pictures other than a heap of enduro race ones where the bike is filthy dusty. The blue is much darker and better looking than in the official picture on the giant site:

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_au/bikes/models/zooms/2009/700_trance_x1.jpg

You can't go past it for a do-it all bike for the price. Pretty much full XT components for $3k is damn hard to beat. It climbs great, and has handled anything I've thrown at it easily.

Yep, got the same one for the same price. Love it.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
I can see you had a green rear derailleur cable running quite direct but have gone back to a black cable through the traditional cable route. What were the advantages and disadvantages as I have full length cables on my Trance X running the original route but never quite happy about its location as it passes the shock. Any advice for a better route/solution?
Zip ties :D

skyvia

Likes Bikes
Had my Trance 3 1/2 months, hanven't ridden it enough.. largely due to not liking the Nevagals that came on it, plus being away for work alot stunted my will to ride.

Anyway this is my steed pretty much as I bought it

Anyway last week I bit the bullet and bought

and

to go on

After watching the videos on the stans site I was thinking its alot of work, but ill give it a crack.
So on go the rim strips.. Easy
On go the tyres (2.25" Front, 2.1" Rear), Front was a little bit harder to get on which was a positive sign.
Add compressed air, Front holds pressure with ease, rear after a little massaging was acceptable.
Add Stans no flats solution.
Add air and presto! they both held air no dramas.

I still went ahead and did the shaking/laying on side process, but they had zero fizzing from the sidewall so I was pretty satisfied with the result.

So there you go, you can no tube the stock Giant Rims, and Maxxis Aspens are a good choice tyre to do it with.

I'll put up a photo of the finished product when I get home tonight.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SNIP!!!

After watching the videos on the stans site I was thinking its alot of work, but ill give it a crack.
So on go the rim strips.. Easy
On go the tyres (2.25" Front, 2.1" Rear), Front was a little bit harder to get on which was a positive sign.
Add compressed air, Front holds pressure with ease, rear after a little massaging was acceptable.
Add Stans no flats solution.
Add air and presto! they both held air no dramas.

I still went ahead and did the shaking/laying on side process, but they had zero fizzing from the sidewall so I was pretty satisfied with the result.

So there you go, you can no tube the stock Giant Rims, and Maxxis Aspens are a good choice tyre to do it with.

I'll put up a photo of the finished product when I get home tonight.

VERY VERY interested in the progress of this TL conversion. I am very happy with the Kendas on my new TX2, will they convert?? Do I have to buy new tubeless tyres??

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
VERY VERY interested in the progress of this TL conversion. I am very happy with the Kendas on my new TX2, will they convert?? Do I have to buy new tubeless tyres??
Most non UST tyres will convert successfully. Some just take longer to seal than others. Some brands have very porous sidewalls. I had a mate who was using Continentals that took about a week to stop losing air.

I have run Maxxis and Kenda non UST tyres tubeless successfully for about 2 years.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
My advice it to stick to UST tyres. The hassles getting non UST to seat, seal and stay airtight is a plain pain in the bum. It can be done but then its a constant fwaff!.

Nothing worse than tyres going down on a ride and having to take it off and add a tube. The UST side walls are often stiffer too givig a much better ride.

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Tyre clearance

I've recently picked up a 08 trance x1. I've used the search but can't find the max size tyre that you can run on a trance x. Any help would be appreciated.

skyvia

Likes Bikes
The instruction video used on the Stans website he uses new normal Kenda's, they fizzed round the bead for a few minutes till sealed. He also says you don't have to use new tyres, but id be more inclined to since a used tyre is more likely to have cuts in it, which may struggle to seal once the tube is out. But if your reckon they are in still in good shape go for it by all means. Easiest way to find out is a buy a kit (T7 often have them half price and is where I got mine), fit the rim strip and pump up, if it holds air ok doing that you should be right to put the sealant in and go for gold. there may be some leaks from the bead, but don't worry, use a compressor to get them to pop into place.

You don't have to buy tubeless specific tyres if you don't want, many guys I ride with have a mix of UST and normal tyres on tubeless kits and never had a puncture. Obviously UST is strong in the sidewall, but they are also heavier.

Id stress though with the Maxxis, I wouldn't recommend the Exception series light weight tyres for tubeless, very thin sidewalls which I reckon you would struggle to keep sealed.

Let me know how you go.

bunchie34

Likes Dirt
I find Geax TNT tyres a good compromise, being lighter than full UST tyres but stronger in the sidewall that non-UST's.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My advice it to stick to UST tyres. The hassles getting non UST to seat, seal and stay airtight is a plain pain in the bum. It can be done but then its a constant fwaff!.
I have never found this to be the case. The major negative I have experienced is slashing sidewalls. Stans won't seal them.

I would recommend at the least to run a rear UST, as that seems to be the one that gets the tears.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I have never found this to be the case. The major negative I have experienced is slashing sidewalls. Stans won't seal them.

I would recommend at the least to run a rear UST, as that seems to be the one that gets the tears.
All depends how you ride I guess :)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All depends how you ride I guess :)
Quite possibly true.

However ,while not the fittest or the fastest, I would say that I ride fairly aggressively and probably hits lots of stuff I should be missing.

Have never burped a tyre, but I run stans rims. However I do tear them, hence my comments on possibly running a UST on the rear.