VIC Granite Grind @ Lake Mtn - Now 2015 on Sat. 21nd Feb

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Mars, what types of tyres would better suit the trails at the moment ?I'm running the XR1 but think the XR2 may be better. What do you think ?
Cheers.
http://www.bontrager.com/products/components/tires?lang=en&region=australia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Matt,

Depends on what sort of rider you are and what helps you, but I think your rubber selection is fine. Yesterday I went round on Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and felt great, but in previous years I did it with Nobby Nics which did not hinder my speed, but I use those in most places. Key is don't have skinny sidewalls, the track will eat sidewalls and drllrs if you take the wrong line or try and ride through rock gaps instead of straight over them.

Traction up the starting fire road is really where you will need it and Racing Ralphs or your Bonty selection is fine, that start climb is more about line and body position on the bike. It may get a bit dusty in the back end of first loop then a little in the second loop after you cross the road but nothing to worry about.

You'll have a blast, enjoy.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Hi Matt,

Depends on what sort of rider you are and what helps you, but I think your rubber selection is fine. Yesterday I went round on Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and felt great, but in previous years I did it with Nobby Nics which did not hinder my speed, but I use those in most places. Key is don't have skinny sidewalls, the track will eat sidewalls and drllrs if you take the wrong line or try and ride through rock gaps instead of straight over them.

Traction up the starting fire road is really where you will need it and Racing Ralphs or your Bonty selection is fine, that start climb is more about line and body position on the bike. It may get a bit dusty in the back end of first loop then a little in the second loop after you cross the road but nothing to worry about.

You'll have a blast, enjoy.
Cheers mate.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Had a great time up there yesterday. Great trails and plenty of friendly folks about. Well done and thanks to the Lake Mountain crew, Murrindindi Cycle Club and all the volunteers. I'll definitely be back for next years race and I recommend it to anyone. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Last edited:

katokid

Squid
After years of distance running and the subsequently destroyed knees I took up MTB at the tender age of 51 so thought I would make some comment on this event.

I did the 3 laps of the GG which was only my second ever MTB event (I had meant to do more events in the last 12 months but a torn calf muscle and work got in the way of doing more), my first event was the Wombat 50km last year which was great fun and for some reason I expected the GG to be a shorter version of the Wombat....how wrong could I be! The GG was far more challenging, the first lap kinda put me of the back foot as I wasnt expecting the technical nature of the course. The second lap was better and by the third I was really getting into the rythm and wished I hadnt been so cautious on the first lap!

The contrast between the two events (Wombat and GG) was massive. Seems like the Wombat is more oriented to getting big numbers of participants and new people into the sport were the GG is more traditional MTB and more hard core. Would this be a fair assessment?

All up, I really enjoyed myself. A big thanks to all involved for their efforts, I cant beleive its not more popular!

I will be back next year.

David

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Despite being a little under-cooked myself, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of that race. Maybe for next year I might have a suspension fork instead of the rigid.

Kudos to the Murrundindi Cycle Club, Yarra Valley Cycles, all the other sponsors and volunteers for a very smoothly run and friendly event. I'll be back for sure.:wave:

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
2015 version of the Granite Grind is 3 weeks away. The weather has been kind and the tracks are in great condition. Big big demo fleet available over the Saturday and Sunday too. All info on Granite Grind FB page (or club site), ask for any info if not on that poor excuse for a social life thingy. Run by the local cycling club for riders by riders - any money made on the weekend is invested back into local trails and infrastructure.

https://sites.google.com/site/murrindindicycleclub/granite-grind-2015

Don't forget the biggest jumping castle your kids will ever see in their life, the Alpine burger bar and the fantastic coffee.

fphmtb

Likes Bikes
Just wondering about the Sunday shuttle day
Any idea on the cost?
And also what is the descent like, is it mostly just open fire roads
Or is there some enjoyable single track

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
All of the trails as one continuous ride (18km). It includes the route to Arnolds Gap via summit & over Snowy Hill, then back up the road to Snowy Hill, No.10 trail and finish of No.7 back to the car park - mostly ST.

Shuttles are 9am-2pm roughly for $20 all day.

all trail profile 2014.jpg

apple

Squid
Arnolds Adventure 22nd Feb

Just wondering about the Sunday shuttle day
Any idea on the cost?
And also what is the descent like, is it mostly just open fire roads
Or is there some enjoyable single track
Mostly single track. As a minimum we will start from the top car park; over the summit on No.7, then turn onto the toboggan run at Snowy Hill (before the road crossing) then follow the new track until it rips down to Arnolds Gap (see big drop on Andrew's profile).
As an extra we might climb over the Mt Arnold section on the new Fire-break section down to the ticket box, another amazing descent....we just have to get it a bit more sorted

As Andrew said $20 for as many shuttles as is practical (9am to 2pm), grab a Yarra Valley Cycles demo bike to test ride (but best to book first: sales@yarravalleycycles.com)

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Next weekend - wohoo! Good rainfall on Friday and Saturday has settled the trails nicely. I'm riding the trails on Tuesday night and will report back

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not going to happen for me this year Andrew. Best of luck for another smoothly run and fun event.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Trail ride last night to tidy up the track (derailleur snapping sticks all gone) and boy are the trails in fantastic condition. Good amount of rain last Friday and Saturday has helped as has the excellent work done by the trail fairies (aka LM).

DSC04635.JPG

DSC04623.JPG

DSC04655.JPG

DSC04638.JPG

vergard

Squid
Granite Grind 2015

The trails are buffed, fast and are in the best condition ever.
A bit of work by Lake Mountain, maturing of the track, good regrowth and solid rain last night means conditions for the race will be primo.
If you have never ridden or raced at Lake Mountain this weekend will be a perfect opportunity to see what quality trails they have, bit of tech, bit of flow, a bit of climbing, it's going to be a great race.

Yarra Valley Cycles have over 40 bikes to demo all weekend, go here to check it out https://www.facebook.com/yarravalleycycles

Race Info here https://sites.google.com/site/murrindindicycleclub/granite-grind-2015

Race Entries here http://www.entryzone.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=48