Gripsport Dual Bike Carrier Review

GRIM

Likes Dirt
Finally got some, that Plastidip website never works for me but the place to go is 4WD Megastores, I went to the Carlton outlet but they seem to be all over the place. I even got black to match my bike rack, I only did 3 coats seems to work great (may do more later)

http://plastidip.net.au/index.php?m...7499875-2532&parentContent=1160805421953-7851

A lot of paint stores and hardware places are under the impression that the stuff is not longer available but it is.

I gotta say the Gripsport rack is great loving it and its keeping the interior of my new car dirt and scratch free

Last edited:

NiK TyLeR

Likes Dirt
i need one of these, i've got one of those old 3bike ones and it scraches and not to mention the bikes dont fit :mad: , just need to save up now
nik

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
i need one of these, i've got one of those old 3bike ones and it scraches and not to mention the bikes dont fit :mad: , just need to save up now
nik
They really are fantastic... best bike rack I've ever bought!

So many advantages over your average bike rack.

Only negative that I see is:
Too heavy for my wife to want to deal with it. So the bike rack is solely my responsibility.

I'm only posting this because I'm always gushing to people about how good the Gripsport rack is... so for the sake of impartiality, I'm posting a negative this time...

gilly101

Likes Dirt
Yeah these racks are so good. Got one about a year ago and it was deffers one of the best investments i've made other than my bike... (thanks mum :rolleyes:) So much better than the old a frame racks for the dh rigs, quicker loading/unloading and no more scratching (well not nearly as much). One thing needed though is some form of number plate on it because your bike will block it and sometimes the coppers wont be as they were to me and only giving me a warning about lack of visibility of P plate and the number plate. I've heard it can be quite a hefty fine!:eek:

BIG ANT

Squid
I have had my rack for about 2 months now with no problems
Strong and easy to use
The only draw back is it sits at shin height and blends in well with back ground at dusk
:)

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had my rack for about 2 months now with no problems
Strong and easy to use
The only draw back is it sits at shin height and blends in well with back ground at dusk
:)
get some reflectors on it same with mine and rflective tape stuff you can get it from super cheap does the trick

same mine is going great only problem is that it rocks a litlle but thats ok its not much to worry anything great rack and great results

rta does bike number plates for 33$ takes 3 weeks well worth it had a cop sitting next to us full checking it out (probably wanted my bike :) ) then just bolt it to the rack easy as

jono86

Cannon Fodder
This has just answered my questions on how to carry my bike too bad they dont have a harness to attach to your lights like a trailer but im sure i could rig something up.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
I'm certianly not suggesting you ignore lighting, jono, but to be honest I don't know of any customers who have bothered because lights do tend to be clearly visible through your spokes anyway.

Number plates on the other hand WILL need to be mounted in a way that they're not obscured at all and down here in Vic they "should" be illuminated if using the carrier at night ;)

Kuragari

Likes Bikes
Hi all, not sure if I'm supposed to make a new thread somewhere else for this kind of thing...

I just bought the dual dh rack with quick release. Arrived in the mail today! Only problem is, I can't seem to get the bike to fit properly. I'm just using a stock standard glory expert FR. I've tried every which way, and wriggled it around for a while, but as such been having no luck. I can't get the back wheel to sit in the tray properly. It feels as if the sleeve that holds the crank is too close.

I tried the bike in the opposite direction, which seemed to fit the wheels in the tray at least, though I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be like that because the front wheel ended up hanging way over the edge of the tray and the bike was not in the middle as it should be.

Am I doing something wrong here...?

img510.imageshack.us/img510/8318/cimg028050gd1.jpg
img510.imageshack.us/img510/4892/cimg027550rg7.jpg
img510.imageshack.us/img510/6117/cimg027250fn3.jpg
img510.imageshack.us/img510/1888/cimg027150zw7.jpg
img510.imageshack.us/img510/1686/cimg026950tv9.jpg
img510.imageshack.us/img510/3779/cimg026650pz6.jpg

(Sorry for the poor links, I don't have enough posts to post proper hyperlinks)

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
There doesn't seem to be a problem with the carrier (nothing's been bent out of shape in transit etc) and you definitely only ever fit the LEFT crank into the holders (so it doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong either). I think it's probably the combination of those particular Raceface cranks (which have a fair "outward" arc to them) and the external bottom bracket (making the overall mounting position of the crank even wider).

Easy to sort out and if you'd care to give me a call personally we can do that for you immediately. :)

Cheers
Jon Weaving
GripSport Pty Ltd
1581 Main Road,
RESEARCH. Vic. 3095.
Ph (03) 9437 1954
www.gripsport.com.au

Hud

Likes Dirt
Just wondering if anyone has ever had 'tyre melt' issues from the exhaust with the Grip rack. Obviously exhaust height relative to the towbar varies, is the rack always high enough?

Gripo

Eats Squid
Just wondering if anyone has ever had 'tyre melt' issues from the exhaust with the Grip rack. Obviously exhaust height relative to the towbar varies, is the rack always high enough?
This could be an issue for all bike carriers, not just a GS.

No tyres melt, though you'd have to consider a vehicle that's diesel or using oil as the residue from the exhaust might deposit on to a critical area like the brake disc. You can easily get around this by being creative with some cling wrap over the brake disc whille travelling and wiping the disc with a brake cleaner before riding your bike.

takai

Eats Squid
Personally i have never seen an implementation of the towbar where the exhaust sits higher than it, even on 4WDs and raised utes.
I have however gotten to a race (road crit) and found that my front tyre was nice and melty from the beak style top tube carrier having it right next to the exhaust.

Kuragari

Likes Bikes
Now all I need is a bike rack number plate!

Just an update re: problems with my bike fitting. Just as a future reference for anybody with the unfortunate combination of an outward arcing crank and large bottom bracket like mine, the problem was all fixed with an oversize crank adapter. This allowed me to sit the bike into the channel. Although there's more room around the crank to move, the bike still sits secure, I'll just find something to fill the space up with!

Thanks again Jon for all your help! Top product and customer service! :)

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive had it on a conventional bike rack, not cool!

S.

ex offender
The bottom of your tyres sit level with the top of your towbar tongue. If that's above your exhaust (I can't imagine it wouldn't be unless you have a heavily modified towbar or exhaust), they should be fine.

shcotty

Likes Bikes
the gripsport bike carriers are by far the best bike racks for downhill bikes. when i got my licience i converted my 2 bike rack for the back of my mums car to go in the tray of my ute, its sick

nedsta

Squid
they look like such an awsome product however, in NSW you'd have to rig up lights and a number plate to avoid being fined. I just finished building a similar unit as i have a Hayman Reese towbar and a friend in the RTA insisted on lights being installed. It wasnt hard to do just a set of trailer lights and a plug just a bit of dicking around (pardon the french) involved.

peto

Likes Dirt
5 years in

I've had my grip rack for over 5 years and it is still going strong.
The newer ones are improved too.
On mine the bikes are too close together causing the pedals to hit the down tube of the next bike.
This is annoying as I have to put pads on the tubes every use.
Note XC spd pedals don't have this prob.
The other gripe I have with it is the weight as my GF can not put it on the car when she wants to go out riding when I'm not around.
There are some newer racks around that are much lighter.