GX Eagle - shitty shifting solved!!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sram and XT 12spd mixes too... will wait for a complete failure before making the cross compatible upgrade.

teK--

Eats Squid
All this, and still dearer, sloppier, and hangs out wider than chucking an XT M8000 derailleur on. Just sayin.
Beat me to it.. I originally followed this mod with enthusiam but with the sloppy af clutch on my GX I ended up replacing it with an XT 12 speed (with shifter) and couldn't be happier.

The Eagle vs Shimano sprocket spacing is a tiny bit different, but in use the difference is almost imperceptible on my 3,000Kms old eagle cassette. Definitely not worth paying to change the freehub to run a microspline cassette at this stage.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So where/how is the cheapest place to buy Deore or slx 12 speed stuff these days...?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Wait...i thought we were back on 11sp? :oops:
TLDR...fuck SRAM
Wind it right back to 10spd any day... I fu%#in hate 12spd, we have it on 4 bikes and just spent 2 hours straightening derailleurs, hangers, teeth on cassettes and new cables and outers on a certain 2 blokes bikes. Reckon it was easier with internal routing than removing all those plastic covers that Canyon use.

Shit shifting, shit tolerances and not enough room for a slight error on indexing, cramming 12 cogs in with a bees dick clearance to the chain on both sides, coupled with sloppy components.

Yeah Sram too.

12spd was a step too far IMO.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Haakon

With a HG driver you'll probably struggle for 500% range.

This won't hit your desired range but is about as good as you'll get for a HG driver IMO:

XD driver would get you to the 500% due to a 10t small cog:
Have the XD driver. Crumbs, they're exxy! Hmm - perhaps I should qualify whats the best not horribly expensive 11 speed wide range :)

moorey

call me Mia
And they play well with shimano mech/shifter?
Perfectly. Neither SRAM or Shimano are ideal for 46 IMHO....even though shimano sell an 11-46 cassette. Just a bit more B screw required to reach the 46. Felix tested an E13 9-46 and a converted X1 10-46. Preferred the Sunrace, though it gives away about 80g to those two.

Haakon

Perfectly. Neither SRAM or Shimano are ideal for 46 IMHO....even though shimano sell an 11-46 cassette. Just a bit more B screw required to reach the 46. Felix tested an E13 9-46 and a converted X1 10-46. Preferred the Sunrace, though it gives away about 80g to those two.
Cheers for the feed back :) I think im starting to look at going back to 11 speed. Im just sick of the GX Eagle and I also want my multi upshift XT shifter back. I dont need the number of gears, I just need a decent range because my fitness is utterly fucked now....

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've just had a mates bike dropped over to try and sort a shifting issue and I remembered this thread. My initial fix was laughably simple - I stuck an 11mm O ring in between the shifter and the hanger and lubricated it liberally. All slop in the derailleur was removed and shifting is nice and crispy.

I don't see it as a long term fix, it'll eventually wear out. but I'm thinking an appropriately sized washer made up in the 3d printer should be hardier than the O ring and achieve the same thing?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I've just had a mates bike dropped over to try and sort a shifting issue and I remembered this thread. My initial fix was laughably simple - I stuck an 11mm O ring in between the shifter and the hanger and lubricated it liberally. All slop in the derailleur was removed and shifting is nice and crispy.

I don't see it as a long term fix, it'll eventually wear out. but I'm thinking an appropriately sized washer made up in the 3d printer should be hardier than the O ring and achieve the same thing?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Look back a page, @ozzybmx had success with a 0.5m shim.