High End Lights..... Discussion... Help!!!

Minlak

custom titis
Ok so I have some money to spend on lights ($500) and I am looking for serious lights not just ebay cheapies that are good enough. There is a whole thread about ebay cheapies so please don't add these to this. These will be for the handlebars and I will use my ebay cheapies for the helmet for now.

I have been looking at Exposure / Gloworm / Niterider

The ones I have settled on are Hope R8's

hope r8.JPG

[video=youtube;q_h0_f6u3b0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_h0_f6u3b0[/video]

I would like to buy in Aus if I can for warranty etc a very important part of the Hope is they will mount on the centre of the handlebars. I want whatever light to come with and be able to do this.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I would strongly suggest exposure lights.

If you happen to be located in SA I would be more than happy to let you demo mine.

The all in one unit is super easy to use and I never run mine on full power.

Have a reflex mk 2 that I use for solo 24 racing and it lasts the night on a single charge

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If it were me, I'd be looking for 3 things given that amount of money

1. High capacity for the weight battery that has an easy form factor for charging - eg USB

2. Accurate remaining charge ( nearly all are a long way off on this front)

3 standard battery to light connection

hakka

Likes Dirt
Just did a quick read up on the r8. Compared to the gloworm xs its bigger & heavier, has shorter runtimes, no remote switch, not programmable, not waterproof. Light output is roughly the same.

I've been running 2 of the gloworm xs lights for about 6 months and they are excellent.

Minlak

custom titis

If you happen to be located in SA I would be more than happy to let you demo mine.

Have a reflex mk 2 that I use for solo 24 racing and it lasts the night on a single charge
I am not as fussed on the mounting system of the Exposure Lights. night riders etc get the light right in the middle of the bars. I have lights now that mount on the handle bars to the side of the stem and I often find myself staring at the left side of the bush or road. It was also harder to see a demo of the lights. I am not caught up in Max lumens as a lot of lights lie and also too bright can be almost reflective off the trails.

Have a look at exposure lights available now and list me which one you would buy. Reflex currently dont seem like an option. Pushy's have a fair range of Exposure but a lot or out of stock.

Minlak

custom titis
Just did a quick read up on the r8. Compared to the gloworm xs its bigger & heavier, has shorter runtimes, no remote switch, not programmable, not waterproof. Light output is roughly the same.

I've been running 2 of the gloworm xs lights for about 6 months and they are excellent.
Did not realise R8's were not waterproof I just assumes sealed units or is it the battery pack that isnt waterproof?

Gloworms look ok

gloworm.JPG

Minlak

custom titis

Looked up some more stuff and found this now. This is probably leading now.

exposure Maxx d.JPG

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
got a friend with the exposure [wears on helmet] seems a great light - he has the 1800 lumen light, plenty bright, the 2600 should be a blinder

willsy01

Eats Squid
Lights have become a dick measuring competition. Higher lumen doesn't automatically mean a better light.

$450 will get you a full MTB kit from Ayup. Australian made, replaceable batteries, great mounts and quality follow up/warranty service. I have an older setup of theirs that has been upgraded and they provide more than adequate light on fast, windy single trail. Being able to see 100m in front of you is moot on an MTB......as is having enough light to boil the ocular fluid of any wildlife within 50m.

Minlak

custom titis
Lights have become a dick measuring competition. Higher lumen doesn't automatically mean a better light.

$450 will get you a full MTB kit from Ayup. Australian made, replaceable batteries, great mounts and quality follow up/warranty service. I have an older setup of theirs that has been upgraded and they provide more than adequate light on fast, windy single trail. Being able to see 100m in front of you is moot on an MTB......as is having enough light to boil the ocular fluid of any wildlife within 50m.
Have no intention running lights on full it tends to blind you with reflection from the ground. Will check out ayup thanks.....

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

+1
And I have the biggest dick of all. The Lupine Betty. So much dick.
I also have AYUP's and they are a great package with less dick.

hakka

Likes Dirt
$450 will get you a full MTB kit from Ayup.
They're 700 lumens, thats about the same as the XS in low power mode (600lumens). I can go a fair bit quicker when i bump mine up to medium/1500 lumens. On a fast downhill section i will use the 2200 lumen setting but for most trails medium is enough.

If you have 700 lumen light and the rider behind you has one of the other lights listed in this thread, you're gonna be riding in your own shadow.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Ay up were amazing 10 years ago but haven't updated their light units since then.

Used to love mine but they just don't cut it for light quality, beam spread or throw when compared to exposure.

I was also concerned about not having my might in the centre with exposure but when set up correctly, you don't notice

Minlak

custom titis
All good points if I get the light close to the stem it will only be a bees dick from in the centre anyway I guess and the ease of having everything in one unit is fairly attractive. Soo many choices only want to do this once lol... Ayups off the list too old and too low a lumens (not that I need full lumens).