High End Lights..... Discussion... Help!!!

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any particular one.... I see one of them had almost 200 lumens that's wicked........
I haven't used a light for my bike, but had one for my Camera. (could have strapped it on and used it like a torch I suppose!)
It worked a treat, stunningly bright and white with a good battery life.

I like their designs and that they're Aussie.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I haven't used a light for my bike, but had one for my Camera. (could have strapped it on and used it like a torch I suppose!)
It worked a treat, stunningly bright and white with a good battery life.

I like their designs and that they're Aussie.
They are a good emergency light but that is about it.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
There's a 640lumen model - at should be plenty for a bar light on trails, agree on the 200lm models - they are road only
I would put 600 lumen at the very bottom end of ride-ability for medium XC trails, you will very quickly out pace the throw of the light. However bikepacking this would be a perfect light.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I would put 600 lumen at the very bottom end of ride-ability for medium XC trails, you will very quickly out pace the throw of the light. However bikepacking this would be a perfect light.
Serious? That's the same output of a 50w halogen 12v. That my friend is a shit load of light and more than enough for XC racing.

I am however assuming the rating is correct, because the vast majority are simply bullshit. 600lumen is what the measured output of the majicshines were when overdriven at 8.4v on high - and that generally is too bright in dusty conditions - running 2 at 50% provides much better depth perception (head and bar)

Incidentally, the ay-ups that took the 24hr scene by storm in 2008 or so were 300lumens on high -( latest ones are 700)

Gotta judge things on real lumens not Chinese theoretical maximums

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Serious? That's the same output of a 50w halogen 12v. That my friend is a shit load of light and more than enough for XC racing.

I am however assuming the rating is correct, because the vast majority are simply bullshit. 600lumen is what the measured output of the majicshines were when overdriven at 8.4v on high - and that generally is too bright in dusty conditions - running 2 at 50% provides much better depth perception (head and bar)

Incidentally, the ay-ups that took the 24hr scene by storm in 2008 or so were 300lumens on high -( latest ones are 700)

Gotta judge things on real lumens not Chinese theoretical maximums
Those chinese theoretically good lights have a crappy lens, hence why you can't run them near max without getting a lot of spill and reflection.
Amazingly, people don't complain about their ayups being too bright, because they have a good beam pattern

Haven't heard much about the indigo5, but it looks like a well thought out package too

Last edited:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I really like Light and Motion stuff, they have great beam patterns and the lumens are measured output not just theoretical like many others.
They won't however mount smack bang in the middle of the bar though.

I never understood AyUp lights, the LEDs must be driven nowhere near max output as there is no surface area to dissipate heat. I would go Gloworms over an Ayup anyway, massive output, great design at a reasonable price, a couple of mates run them and love them.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Those chinese theoretically good lights have a crappy lens, hence why you can't run them near max without getting a lot of spill and reflection.
Amazingly, people don't complain about their ayups being too bright, because they have a good beam pattern
^^^^This.

Lumens mean bugger all when the optics are rubbish. Lux value is important but it's rarely if ever listed on spec sheets.

Minlak

custom titis
So far I am tossing up on getting the Ay Up's or the Exposure 6 Pack or Maxx D. I agree claimed light is not important and I wont run the Exposure's on full bright anyway. I do like the mounting options of the Ay Up's plus you get a light kit for the $460 not just a single light.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd throw another vote in for AyUps dual steup.
They come with so much bang for your buck, I've used them for everything.
MTB night racing (having them on your helmet + bars makes a huge difference)
Running - 100km and 100mile trail events
Adventure racing - MTB/Running/Kayaking

My mate has even use his snorkling at night. Worked fine for an hour submerged in salty sea water. The battery did shit itself when he recharged it without letting it dry first! (Light still work perfectly)

Another bonus, is all the spare parts are very reasonably priced incase you ever break a mount.
I've had mine for 8 years now. Original batteries and all of it still going strong.

Best of luck with your choice!

John U

MTB Precision
I've been using lupines for about 6 years now. I started with a Wilma 5.0 which I think was 1100 lumens. This I use for a bar mount light. Don't generally need to run it on high. The beam pattern is good and even. You don't notice it being slightly off centre because the spread is so good.
I bought a Piko to back it up on the helmet. Have used both lights for commuting in all conditions and neither have ever failed. Bought some extra batteries for a 24 solo last year and they performed flawlessly. Note that the wilma has 6 years use on it.
Lupine are well worth a look.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Exposure here every time. No leads no battery straps, excellent brightness and great run time.

Not sure why you wouldn't...

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Exposure here every time. No leads no battery straps, excellent brightness and great run time.

Not sure why you wouldn't...
I seem to remember reading they had pretty poor beam patterns compared to lights with proper reflectors, just a circle of light, which really isn't ideal as you waste a bunch of light.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Rebadged magic shines?
Yep, but at least they come with an Aus approved charger.

They also had better quality batteries than the MJ's when they first came out (havent had anything to do with either in the last few years so don't know about now).

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that the main source of problems lights is the leads. Cables are vulnerable as are any connectors.

For this reason if I was buying a light today I would be looking very closely at exposure.

Second thing to think about is I find 2 lights are much better than one. I like a strong high output bar mounted light with a floody wide beam then a more compact helmet mounted light with a spot beam

I get better depth perception and no places I can't see into.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I seem to remember reading they had pretty poor beam patterns compared to lights with proper reflectors, just a circle of light, which really isn't ideal as you waste a bunch of light.
I use the maxx-d on my bars and diablo on my helmet - I have never needed more light or a different beam pattern, they work amazingly well together.... If anything at times they are too bright on the highest setting....

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I use a Light and Motion Seca 2000 race setup. It has a seperate battery pack with cable, but has an excellent beam pattern, and the battery life seems pretty good.

You can't mount it central on the bars however.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i know they are on the cheaper side but the magic shine 1600lm is a pretty good light, at just ~120, you can buy 2 -the batteries are a bit hefty though

i agree with others the lms reported can be rubbish numbers, i had a 450 which was as good as a 1000lm light. ay-ups are solid & won't let you down & have good battery life but there are cheaper options [esp. if youre like me & either lose shit or break shit]