High End Lights..... Discussion... Help!!!

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I would vote for something from exposure. I hate cables. They get caught up in trees and take to long to set up. I have a Diablo and a 6pack and getting ready for a night ride is simple as: click, click, Go!

I got the 6 pack for a great price, and I'd be the first to acknowledge that's it's a little over the top, but that just means that I can leave it on low or mid and only have to charge it every second ride.

I love the text based read out on the rear of the unit. It tells you exactly how much run time you have instead of just showing you a green or red light, and it makes deep programming really easy (though I think I found the stock setting pretty good anyway).

Lights are one of the best investments you can make in you bike. No fancy new carbon handlebar can double your available ride time. And if you have a job and family that can be Invaluable.

Minlak

custom titis
Decision made and order placed. Will get a helmet light in a few months when the missus isn't looking again.....

6 Pack.JPG

chrischris

Likes Dirt
I quite like my k-lite / Dynamo setup. It was a tad costly to set up including building a wheel around the hub, but it's been awesome.

In other news, I've been using Cygolite lights as well. I use one on my helmet to compliment my k-lite.
I've found their quality to be A+. Some magazine reviews bagged out the helmet/bar attachments. I can't see what the problem is. They work great for me.

Whatever you choose, keep an eye out for a good sale. All these $$$ lights are 30-50% off now & then. That's a lot of dough!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Be interesting to see what you think of the Six Pack Minlak, I had one, I think a Mark 2 from memory, it was like strapping a huge beer can to the bars and the beam was not to my taste, but they have tweaked it a lot since then.

Currently have a GloWorm X2 on the bars and a Diablo on the helmet, good combo!

Minlak

custom titis
Be interesting to see what you think of the Six Pack Minlak, I had one, I think a Mark 2 from memory, it was like strapping a huge beer can to the bars and the beam was not to my taste, but they have tweaked it a lot since then.

Currently have a GloWorm X2 on the bars and a Diablo on the helmet, good combo!
I was going to get the MaxxD and I saw some footage of the beam spread of the 6 pack and it wasnt that much more for the better battery life so I got it. I have to admit though I am still scared to have wasted so much money if I am not happy.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure how you can't be happy mate... All the talk of beam spread has me curious? I ride single track in the depths of darkness with both my lights and for the life of me I can't see how much a beam spread can impact the 1-2m of track I need to see... I will admit it took me a few rides to get my mount angled right but after that smooth sailing... Yes they are big but so are most seperate batteries...

Minlak

custom titis
I was going to get the MaxxD and I saw some footage of the beam spread of the 6 pack and it wasn't that much more in price for the better battery life so I got it. I have to admit though I am still scared to have wasted so much money if I am not happy.
Not sure how you can't be happy mate... All the talk of beam spread has me curious? I ride single track in the depths of darkness with both my lights and for the life of me I can't see how much a beam spread can impact the 1-2m of track I need to see... I will admit it took me a few rides to get my mount angled right but after that smooth sailing... Yes they are big but so are most seperate batteries...
It was just beam in general I have been using ebay lights and they have a bright spot not very wide and I just havent been happy with them. I ride a bit of fire road too and like a little wider beam.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I was going to get the MaxxD and I saw some footage of the beam spread of the 6 pack and it wasnt that much more for the better battery life so I got it. I have to admit though I am still scared to have wasted so much money if I am not happy.
Reading the specs and the size, weight and beam are all tweaked from the version I had and includes the reflex technology so should be a good one.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Like a couple of others here I'm a Lupine fan- progressed from Ayups problem with these were once the weather turns muddy and the heavens open up lower output lights just don't cut the mustard (still scarred from a 24hr in Forrest where it rained all night and also Redesdale). And lights with lower output just can't punch through the rain or dust. Think about driving in the rain 15 yrs ago compared to modern car headlights. Then had a now not made set of LED lights from HID Tech in Brisbane awesome lights but far too narrow in beam spread. Then after lots of research (MTBR forums) decided on a pair of Lupine Betty (2400 lumen) on the bars and Betty R (3600 Lm) which has the remote on the helmet. Run both generally around 50% which is perfect for all trails of ridden in 24hr solo races.

Things to consider a narrow beam will transition from very bright to dark very quickly on the edges and your eyes will find it difficult to adjust. Secondly beam spread is important in single track aids on seeing around corners and through trees. Think Party Line trail up at Stromlo fast twisty trail with lots of stumps and tree roots through corners. Lupine seem to have reached a lumen output now and are focusing towards proving a more even spread of light through lens and optical developments.

Back to OP I'd use the cheap light on the bars and spend the money on a good helmet light.

Quiggs

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Lupine seem to have reached a lumen output now and are focusing towards proving a more even spread of light through lens and optical developments....

Quiggs
They bumped the lumens again this year and are now at 5000 lumen.

However I am the same as quiggs, and never run them on full. Instead I program them down to ~1000 lumen and run for 12hrs without a battery change.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
This is by no means a scientific comparison and the photos are just iPhone pics buts here's a comparison between the AYUP's and my Lupine Betty.
First the AYUP

And the Betty

As you can see it's not so much the brightness of the Lupine that's impressive but the volume of light. The spread is just massive and kind on the eyes.
Both were the latest optics and LED's at the time. If you want to claim my testing is flawed go ahead. Go nuts.

stirk

Burner
This is by no means a scientific comparison and the photos are just iPhone pics buts here's a comparison between the AYUP's and my Lupine Betty.
First the AYUP

And the Betty

As you can see it's not so much the brightness of the Lupine that's impressive but the volume of light. The spread is just massive and kind on the eyes.
Both were the latest optics and LED's at the time. If you want to claim my testing is flawed go ahead. Go nuts.
The ayup will spot a roo further away so long as its in front of you but not the one off to the side of the trail, the Betty will spot the side roo and the front roo but perhaps not before its too late for Skippy in front.