Highland Fling - 2010

carbs

Likes Bikes
100 miles again.
Will Van Mill get under 7hrs this year?
Would be good if a few good elites entered to give him a hurry up.
I'm betting there will be over 30 entries this year.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
$180.00!!! FUCK THAT Charlie Brown
Its not just the $180... the sting is the personal injury insurance as another $20... bit rich for those that have MTBA membership... I'd like to understand precisely the advantage to me as a competitor what the benefit of the private insurance is as compared to MTBAs cover.

Based on an experience a friend had last year when injured (knocked unconscious for more than 10 mins, was attended to by volunteers and then told to ride :confused: the 20km to the next checkpoint) they'd want to step it up a bit.

This makes it a $200 race. Think the 110 when I first entered it a few years ago was about $110...

At least AROC have included your insurance as part of their entry fees (as they're not covered by MTBA either).

Having just gone through the life / income insurance protection drama... the sting is that most life and income protection insurance will _not_ cover you if you have an injury while participating in a race so you'd want to make sure that whatever insurance that the promoter is providing is decent!

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
One of my mates is trying to enter but can't get through the process of creating an account - No sign of the activation email so that he can sign in and enter.

Worked fine for me this morning (about 5 min wait) prior to the entries opening.

Anyone else having this issue or are we just unlucky?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Its not just the $180... the sting is the personal injury insurance as another $20... bit rich for those that have MTBA membership... I'd like to understand precisely the advantage to me as a competitor what the benefit of the private insurance is as compared to MTBAs cover.
MTBA Cover doesn't cover you at all while racing in an non-MTBA sanctioned event.

At least AROC have included your insurance as part of their entry fees (as they're not covered by MTBA either).
Did the AROC insurance include personal injury? Or was it just the third party/public liability insurance?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Yeah right, they're going to walk around asking 1000+ (or whatever huge amount it is) people to take their helmets off and look for the sticker?
They don't have to, only have to check Top_oz_bloke's because he has admitted he doesn't have a helmet that complies with the regulations for road use.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Yeah right, they're going to walk around asking 1000+ (or whatever huge amount it is) people to take their helmets off and look for the sticker?

Anyway rego'd for 100k again.
I dunno how this works, never done anything like this before, so for all I know they might scrutineer every helmet in the place.

Considering entry, travel, food and accomodation will probably cost around $1k all up then I would be fairly unhappy to be turned around at the start line. In this context, a couple of hundred on a suitable helmet doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Last edited:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
$180.00!!! FUCK THAT Charlie Brown
Heh... it was $160 last year. So yes, the price has gone up by 12.5%. I think it has been pretty similar over the last few years though. It's $40 more than the Angry Doctor 100km race you entered.

*shrug* I guess you get to pick which races bring value to you :)

Cheers
Spoonie

BureauMan

Likes Bikes
One of my mates is trying to enter but can't get through the process of creating an account - No sign of the activation email so that he can sign in and enter.

Worked fine for me this morning (about 5 min wait) prior to the entries opening.

Anyone else having this issue or are we just unlucky?
Yep, just entered myself, now trying to register for a friend who's away from his computer, he can activate the email from his Blackberry but nothing has gone through, quite frustrating.

I'm in the 100 again, first year in SuperMasters!

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Yep, just entered myself, now trying to register for a friend who's away from his computer, he can activate the email from his Blackberry but nothing has gone through, quite frustrating.

I'm in the 100 again, first year in SuperMasters!
Stick with it, he eventually received it after an hour or so.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Or do the dash, that way you'll be able to afford a heater at the 24HoAWSC, but you'll have to sit on the ground