Highland Fling Anyone ?

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My thoughts exactly or Angry Doctor will have been that painfull that i will never want to ride again

BT180

Max Pfaff
I reckon there may be a fair chance of that happening!

The Fling should be good though. I have mates entering which is more motivation for me as I need to beat them. :p

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive always wanted to do the fling 100 i usually do the half with my wife but she cant make it this year. So im taking a punt and entering

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had to dump my entry last year due to tendonitis in one knee and patella tracking in the other.

Hoping to get back on the enduro-horse this year. It's been a long time, and a lot of strengthening and stretching.

Beechie

Banned
NOT The Australian Marathon Championship!

Not recognized by the UCI, Cycling Australia or MTBA as the "Australian Marathon Championships" - no Green and Gold jerseys who are they kidding!!
Events like these that ignore personal accident, ambulance insurance, entrant public liability coverage ...... wait until you crash!
Great tracks and fun won't help in hospital or pay the bills.
Tell it like it is "fake Aust MTB Marathon Champs" 'bout time Huw told it like it is not fake an event.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Not recognized by the UCI, Cycling Australia or MTBA as the "Australian Marathon Championships" - no Green and Gold jerseys who are they kidding!!
Events like these that ignore personal accident, ambulance insurance, entrant public liability coverage ...... wait until you crash!
Great tracks and fun won't help in hospital or pay the bills.
If those issues are important to you either

a) ensure you have personal health/accident/ambulance insurance, income protection etc...
b) don't enter.

He's pretty up front about what you do and don't get as part of your entry so I think he pretty much well is telling it like it is.

If you think it becoming an mtba event would mean you don't have to think about how much it's going to cost if you get hurt, then you're dreaming!

Cheers
Gonz

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
So much enthusiasm. Kiddies, chill out :D So far my best tips for people are (with no bias for any personal gain):

If you haven't done it and are pondering: bite the entry, chew lots on race day. You only live once, do it!

RED RACER: great idea, do the 100km for sure. i don't reckon you'd be much chop over 100 miles anyway :p

Chops: 160km / 100km. Not much difference. I've been off the bike for two months and just back on now so I'll be sucking big ones. I'll see you on the line!

The Angry Doctor: once you done that the Fling will be but a casual Sunday pootle.

Riding is fun and easy, don't spoil it by thinking.

Beechie

Banned
Not dreamin.

DA GONZ to your point a) I do have all of that stuff as a MTBA member BUT this event's organisers don't give a stuff about the riders who are protected by insurance or any of the entrants.

Last edited:

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Beechie, I can see where you are comming from, and also DaGonz.

Enter what you like knowing what you know. At the end of the day in life, the person that will always have your back is you.

Event promoters that don't have MTBA insurance don't care more or less about riders than others. I've been to enough MTBA sanctioned events that had very little care for riders shown that it's sometimes sad.

The people that run this event ride also, and more so are good people in general. No-one on this forum or that rides a bike wants to see anyone badly injured. Insurance will not take back a terrible injury, nor does it mean someone does not care.

To not make it known to entrants that there was no MTBA style insurance offered would be more of a 'not caring' scenario. Making it known, and having incredibly thorough action plans in place to deal with injured riders and other emergencies shows a duty of care that has been truly fulfilled.

To state that the people running this event don't give a stuff about the riders, it's a little rich. I'll leave my assesment there, politely.

Last edited:

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My two cents When I go snowboarding, Surfing, waterskiing cycling , play, cricket and soccer. I run the risk of breaking bones drowning impaling myself knocking myself out, getting hit by a car, falling of a cliff etc. So I have a health insurance and life insurance policy and I have written a will.
When I travel overseas im at risk of catching various diseases being treated in a dodgy thridworld hospitals, being kidnapped murdered incarcerated etc so I get travel insurance.

When I partake in these activities, these are acknowledged risks and I have to accept the possible consequences. If i don't like the possible consequences they I don't partake in the activity. Huw runs a good event he's not dodgy he says clearly on his website that you need personal insurance as the race isn't an MTBA event so as long as people read the event info everyone knows the score. To echo the sentiments of another poster I have been to plenty MTBA sanctioned events that have been dodgy.
As far as the Aus champs, theres more than a few Aus marathon champs out there and to be honest out of the 1500 people who will enter the event about ten are a chance of winning and the rest i would suggest aren't too fussed.

Beechie

Banned
Thanks guys

spudatum and PDogg, thanks for your words and opinions-appreciated. I am not about good / bad events.

Last edited:

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
spudatum and PDogg, thanks for your words and opinions-appreciated. I am not about good/bad events. Obviously you guys have your acts together, I am about trying to give a bit of wisdom to all entrants to consider. Risk and event accident minimization strategies, first aid etc have a huge variation between events. Entrants need to know what to look out for....for themselves. This year I've seen too many events that are time bombs to the sport. If we don't raise standards "red tape" to stage events will increase, it already is.
Fair point and I have raised concerns about one particular event in the past that I had ridden in. But the case of the fling they really have their stuff together. If you look at the events Wild Horizons have hosted and the investment they put into that region I think its safe to say that these guys aren't "time bombs"

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Chops: 160km / 100km. Not much difference. I've been off the bike for two months and just back on now so I'll be sucking big ones. I'll see you on the line!
Haha! entries arn't even open yet and the sand bagging has begun!

:)

Cheers
Gonz - 4 months off the bike...

chops007

Likes Dirt
can i come???

But about to head off to a high altitude training camp with Red Racer as a training partner.

i might as well be a good sand bagger :p... i only need to scale the wall once no need to hit it second time around... a glorious 100mile if anyone wants to give it a shot.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
i only need to scale the wall once no need to hit it second time around... a glorious 100mile if anyone wants to give it a shot.
I want to break 8hrs. For me, the Challenge was never in the distance...

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

Last edited:

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I want to break 8hrs. For me, the Challenge was never in the distance...
After last year I set myself the goal of 7.5 . Hmmmmmmm.

Just got in after a pretty flat 1.40 roadie ride, and that was challenging enough :confused:

Call it sandbagging if you must :p

BT180

Max Pfaff
So is it standard practise to do the Bundanoon Dash on the Saturday?

6 K’s seems like a warm up that won’t ruin me for the Sunday.