hints on getting fitter when you have kids under 4

lettuce

Squid
we have 2 little kids - a 4 year old and an 18 monther. i've been struggling to get enough exercise in. they wake up at 6-6.30 and go to bed at 8. work lunch is doable but short. on the weekends we do family activities and i can often only get an hour ride in. all up i probably squeeze 2x30min runs, a 30min swim and 1xhour ride in. i guess my goal is really just to improve and lose a bit of body fat.

any tips/hints?

Sic

Likes Dirt
Do what I do, get up at 5am.

Or lunch time if you arent keen on the super early rise. I have to say though if you can manage to get up its pretty good getting the exercise out of the way early and leaving the rest of your day free to work/play/do whatever.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Kiddie seat ... and a smooth bit of short track or a nice bike path circuit ... take both out individually obviously (bit of special time for each as well) ... you get lots of saddle time and the stimulation they get (even when they are asleep and drooling) does wonders IMO.

I was doing a session in the morning and one in the evening with both kids.

Add in a couple of hills and you'll be a machine in no time

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do what I did, epic weekend rides with the kid/s. load them up on bike and ride the bike paths, you'll be surprised how strong you get pulling an extra 10kgs along. don't need to go fast just climb. kids love it, just include playground stops. for extra points go past weekend cyclists on climbs ... hero stuff.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
When my kids were that age, I would do intervals in the indoor trainer when they were asleep, usually in the evening. You can get remarkably fit doing intervals on a trainer, but it doesn't do much for your bike skills.

And if you want to lose some fat, eat less.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I don't have any kids (yet - Mrs is 'pretty' keen), but I have 11 nieces and nephews and closely watched how the various family and in-laws have coped.

Basically with the goal of losing a bit of body fat - you'll need to focus almost entirely on dietary intake - as you simply don't have the time for sustained aerobic activity that's required for weight loss.

I can't remember the exact stats - but something like a Mars bar has the equivalent energy of walking 8kms - this is going to take at least 90 mins of continuous walking to break even. You don't have time for this, so you need to been 'relatively' strict on what you are eating.

A kids seat and one of those pedal bikes that attach - you could take both of them riding.

A wind trainer or exercise bike for home? I imagine you'd have to have one that's quiet.

Hi intensity interval training is also very good for both fitness and energy expenditure for minimal time investment.

You could also do some home based resistance training to add in some muscle growth (=more energy expenditure daily), things like squats, lunges, step ups, push ups, chin ups (if possible) all consume a lot of energy in a short amount of time and require little to no equipment.

As the youngest gets a little bit older, you can start in include them in all sorts of outdoor activities which would make life a bit easier.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I don't have any kids (yet - Mrs is 'pretty' keen), but I have 11 nieces and nephews and closely watched how the various family and in-laws have coped.

Basically with the goal of losing a bit of body fat - you'll need to focus almost entirely on dietary intake - as you simply don't have the time for sustained aerobic activity that's required for weight loss.

I can't remember the exact stats - but something like a Mars bar has the equivalent energy of walking 8kms - this is going to take at least 90 mins of continuous walking to break even. You don't have time for this, so you need to been 'relatively' strict on what you are eating.

A kids seat and one of those pedal bikes that attach - you could take both of them riding.

A wind trainer or exercise bike for home? I imagine you'd have to have one that's quiet.

Hi intensity interval training is also very good for both fitness and energy expenditure for minimal time investment.

You could also do some home based resistance training to add in some muscle growth (=more energy expenditure daily), things like squats, lunges, step ups, push ups, chin ups (if possible) all consume a lot of energy in a short amount of time and require little to no equipment.

As the youngest gets a little bit older, you can start in include them in all sorts of outdoor activities which would make life a bit easier.
MWI, my trainer isn't exceptionally quiet, the droning type noise it makes actually seems to not be too disturbing. And if it does disturb the kids, at least you won't be able to hear the sqawking. Think of it as unintentional sleep training.

crowash

Likes Dirt
the good news is that assuming you don't have any more kids, the discipline you'll learn from training early when you can now will benefit you greatly in a few years time when they are a bit older. Mine are 4 and 7 now and I learnt to get up before 5 so I didn't wake anyone up and get out of the house even in the middle of winter. Now I can get longer rides including a big weekend ride but I'm still up before 5 to train most mornings.

I'd also add if you can do some specific strengthening training at home it'll help to. I do James Wilson's KettleBell program on days when i can't get out.

Agree regarding getting out with the kids on the back, I have vivid memories of riding and at seperate times both my kids helmets digging into my back as they had fallen asleep.

Hang in there, it gets easier.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Yer would be hard one mate. I now get up at 4:30 to get to the local trail at 5am do a lap or two and home by 6-6:30 ready to have breaky, feed our 11month daughter then I ride to work. If you dont live a stupid distance is riding to work viable?

Another option my mate who has three kids (he is on here) started his eldest boy in BMX and he trains with them and races also on race night. Your 4year old would be able to ride or almost start, think he started his boy at 4. He daughter who is younger also has a bike now. They seem very family orientated and great for the kids or the local BMX mob do. Now the father races, the mother races and their boy who just turned 5 races, not sure if there second eldest who is a girl races yet.

Zam

Likes Dirt
if you can onyl get short periods of training in, try something like HIIT. all you will need is 30 min sessions if done properly and your cardio will get a nice little kick along.

You can do this either running, skipping, hill sprints almost any exercise can be turned into HIIT.

But as already said the biggest improvement to your body fat you can make is through a solid diet behind you.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was 102kg almost 7 years ago when my 1st was born (2nd is almost 4). I decided i could make excusses or make time....

I chose some 3-4 am starts and got pretty fit. I rode my 1st solo 24 hour race when my 1st was 2yrs old, having only ever done 2 other races....
To loose weight i also chose to give up eating high fat foods completely.

Trailers, wee rider etc are great for making more time on the bike with kids. I have had a cargo bike for almost 2 years and it is my most ridden bike, school drop offs, shopping etc.
My wife does not ride (much) so she sits on the back of the cargo bike too....

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
MWI, my trainer isn't exceptionally quiet, the droning type noise it makes actually seems to not be too disturbing. And if it does disturb the kids, at least you won't be able to hear the sqawking. Think of it as unintentional sleep training.
Haha, mine vibrates the entire house at speed, I suppose that'd just get used to it, kids in noisy houses seem to sleep though anything any ways.

orco

Likes Bikes
I have 3 kids under 3 and found myself in the same boat. However I've made changes to diet and exercise and feel great as a result. I drink heaps of water and green tea and eat high protein foods. For exercise, I try to fit in stuff at lunch like a 45 min bike ride or interval running (sprints). Sprints can be done in a 20-30 min period and you will shed weight and become fitter. Also some free weights or pilates will help maintain core strength. As the kids get older, get them into riding whether it skatepark or bmx track. I started doing this with my 3yr old daughter when she was 2 and we have heaps of fun.

shakes

Likes Dirt
MWI, when you have kids you need to train them to sleep through anything. My daughter slept through fireworks and partying last new years eve, I can get her up in the middle of the night, and put a second layer of clothes on and she doesnt budge.

My little girl has just turned 2 - I started commuting rain hail or shine. Starting earlier and earlier and just recently buying a roadie. Kiddie trailer etc can be a fun day out. At the playground be that dad doing chinups in between playing chasey with your kids.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
My daughter is 4 years old.
Wife was not a biker.

just over a year ago I was 110kg and starting to suffer health issues.

Picked up a turbo trainer on the road side, don't really use it escept when its raining thou.
Get used to waking early.

Big thing was sunday mornings. Trailer on the bike and we would all ride to breakfast (Daughter in trailer). 5km then 10km and now 25km. Long relaxing breakfast then ride home.

Also making riding to work effective, Quite hard to change routine but easy once done.

So far as a family and bike trailer we have competed in 2 x 50km events. 1 x 75km events and numerous 30km events.

Wife now has a mtb (with kids seat) and road bike. Using SPD's and the bikes come on all trips.

As for me. My weight has been at 90kg for over 6 months, Competed and kicked ar5e in the 5 Dams (250km hills ride) and have signed up for the 3 peaks next year in March.

Dwellingup 100 times improved from 7.5 hours to 5.5 hours

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Lettuce, great thread.

To all those out there training and mix it with a family life, well done!!

I have a 5yo, 3yo and the young fella is 8 months. Love being with the kids and I love training also. I work from home full time, so my time is a little bit more flexible. If the wife takes the kids out during the day, whether its swimming, kinder, mothers group, whatever, I can get out and train for an hour or so, but funnily enough I don't tend to do this.

Through the winter I get on the wind trainer out in the shed at night once the kids are in bed. Sometimes its 8pm, sometimes its 11pm. Its tough, but if you love your training, any hour of the day is good. Daylight savings is great. Once the kids are down, I'll get 1 hour of daylight riding + do another hour or so in the dark (night riding is great fun!)

As we all know, family commitments, work commitments, kids getting sick, kinder meetings, keeping the wife happy, etc, etc all get in the way of our training routine (you never get a training week to run smoothly). To me it is about planning ahead. I take my training seriously but I enjoy it just as much. If I didn't train, I would probably have some weeks where I wouldn't leave the house, so its a bit of away time for me also.

Everyone's circumstances are different, its really just a matter of knowing what you want to achieve and setting aside some time that fits in with family life. No doubt my family comes first and yes I do get grumpy if I miss out on a few training sessions, but I know missing out on a few days training here and there is probably a good thing, because if I had the choice I would probably be out riding 8 hours every day. After a few days off, its amazing how fresh you feel when you jump back on the bike.

So Lettuce, my weeks vary. I try and ride six days a week, with a few runs and a couple of circuit sessions. Usually I don't manage to get that week in, week out, so it can be a little bit up and down. But I know from a previous running life, days off wont hurt you and is good recovery.

Sorry about the ramble, but its a good subject!

Last edited:

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
I've got three kids. One is nearly 5, one is 3.5 and the other is nearly 2.

Its pretty busy around our house. I ride to and from work every day, rain, hail or shine. If I'm really keen I'll go for a ride a night, which I really enjoy.

I also have a trailer that the kids, especially the big two, really loved. They are getting too big for it now. Trips to parks and playgrounds are always welcome by the kids. Whenever there is a family outing I'll try to take some kids in the trailer or if I'm really lucky, ride to the event by myself with the Mrs taking the kids in the car.

Weekends I dont really get to ride, but will book in perhaps 5 or 6 rides a year that I can get to.

Next year the eldest starts school and I can see things getting easier.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
I am always impressed with the answers on this section of the forum. We're ace!

Getting the kids involved in a really good way of multitasking. The bike seat, trailer, etc is good. Even doing a circuit of body weight resistance training is good. The key is to be flexible with your time. If you can't do something don't stress and smash yourself.

One of the important things to consider is your immunity. With kids bringing all sorts of nasties home, being sleep deprived, etc, immunity suffers and you'll be sick before you know it if you overdo it. Many of my riding buddies (me included)with a 1-3 year old has experienced this and it causes immense frustration. My suggestion is to exercise within your limits and set your expectations accordingly.

lettuce

Squid
very impressive bunch for sure!

hahaha - immunity was the one big thing i forgot to mention - as our whole family gets gastro and one teeths and has a growth spurt all in one weekend. what a bugger hey. i get a cold at the drop of a hat now but the main culprit is our 'happy wheezing' son who, upon contact with cold air has a two week coughing attack and keeps us up all night - fingers crossed he's growing out of it.

all that aside, i guess the biggest issue for me is the caged animal/frustration that i feel if i don't get my half an hour slow plod in a day. not sure why it happens but it makes me grumpy. i think the 5 o'clock wake up may solve everything. just may have to be discipline for a while. and as everyone says the bike ride with family helps.

note - i used to ride to work and run at lunch but a new job has meant i need my car occasionally.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon intensity is key - if you have limited time then make those sessions count! I've got a 4 month old and have managed to maintain a reasonable semblance of fitness through doing high intensity training (in may case I do lunch time cycle classes).

Iv'e gone from a very high volume but low intensity training schedule to a high intensity, low volume schedule. Not as fit as before for long endurance stuff but I've kept the weight off.