Holden out of Oz in 2017

scblack

Leucocholic
Slab of choice and an avacado toastie for cultural significance. (No idea where you are but I suspect post might hurt me a bit haha)

Two of the three have to happen by June 2021

1. Australia loses it's top 10 ranking in World Happiness index - measured at the end of the period.
2. FY20/21 GDP per capita growth is lower than the preceding decade.
3. FY20/21 wage growth is lower than the preceding decade.

Bonus points. 26ers make a comeback.
Happiness Index??? Ppfffftt, too subjective mate. Make it number of cars sold or some other objective factor. I'm a bean-counter, not a hippy.

I ride a 26", so they have not left.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Poor old Mal...can anyone name a candidate from Australian history who (on paper at least) would seem more qualified to deliver a strong term of prime minister? Yet somehow...he comes up so short.
He just doesn't sound believable or sincere. Looks evident to me that he has some coaching on how to put forward body language to appear to be the boss. Not big in the charisma stakes unfortunately.

He should be better than what he is on paper. I just turn off when I see him on TV but I'm also known to turn off on the rest of them too.

Mal isn't really a leaders name IMHO. Mal is the name of the guy that would spend Friday afternoons at the local RSL. Apologies to the RB Mal's.....but you guys don't want to run the country either.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well that puts a line under that then. Wonder if any other car makers will follow GMs lead?
Possibly, I don't think Ford are doing too well either. One of a few local independent Ford dealerships closed down a few years ago after 50 or so years in business, family run and not a small set up. The writing was on the wall with Holden, you can't just sell a brand name anymore with the internet around.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I don't own a crystal ball...I'm just a petrol-head, but....
I can't see the same fate for the others. Holden is a specific cocktail of dumb-fucked-ness and shit products with poor support. Never has a company been so good at completely missing opportunities to succeed.

Mitsubishi - dunno. They always seem to be the quiet achiever of the Japanese sector. They do well with rental fleet volume from what I can tell. Triton selling like hotcakes atm. The parent company(s) have such industrial diversification that they could prolly survive for a long time before they called it.

Mazda- dunno, maybe? Currently getting their arses reamed by the ACCC. But I think their sales numbers are pretty good?

Jeep/Chrysler - Yep. I'd flag them for a withdrawal one day. See point above about Holden.

Ford - At the moment the Ranger is single handedly keeping them in the black (local dealers' words, not mine). If the next-gen Ranger doesn't sell well.....or the market obsession with dual cab utes changes....then yeah, bye bye. Small imports of F150's and Mustangs going forward?
Ford has good form on fucking up too.

VW - dunno, I think they're sales numbers are good? But the VW group is astronomically large so anything is possible. Sometimes when corp's get so big, they fall on their own sword. But then they seem to have survived "dieselgate"....
They walk a very fine line on volume vs build quality/reliability.

Honda - yeah possibly. I know their financial situation is not what it was back in the day. (too much money on weird personal robots and failed motorsport programs).
They don't have a dual cab ute (Ridgeline, where are you?)....and they don't have a full size 4WD / SUV either....both of which are very popular here. But if they can innovate (was always their forte) around electrification, they could lead the other Japs.

Zee Shermans? (Owwdie, Merck and BeeEmm). Demand strong. Leading the way on electrification, so not likely to fail...

Alfa Romeo? Set to TAKE OVER THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nathanm

Eats Squid
Possibly, I don't think Ford are doing too well either. One of a few local independent Ford dealerships closed down a few years ago after 50 or so years in business, family run and not a small set up. The writing was on the wall with Holden, you can't just sell a brand name anymore with the internet around.
You can't just take billions of the governments money and then stop manufacturing at australia for the cost of nearly 1000 jobs. That backlash alone was nearly enough to kill the brand but then they decide to import cars unsuitable for Australian conditions plus a whole bunch of absolute lemons (the cruze in particular) that they backed up with incredibly poor customer service and a ACCC law suit. The whole thing has been an excercise in how not to run a brand.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Has Holden sold a decent car in the past 20 years besides the Commodore.
I just associate Holden with shit, I'm not even sold on the Commodore tbh.

stirk

Burner
Copied from the webs

Mr Skaife said the announcement will impact upon “Australian culture and the Australian landscape and the DNA of what we are as a nation and what we’ve manufactured and what we’ve loved"

For the last 20 years that's just a bunch of clapped out old commodores doing burnouts and utes getting sideways in the wet. We can do without that culture Mark.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Has Holden sold a decent car in the past 20 years besides the Commodore.
I just associate Holden with shit, I'm not even sold on the Commodore tbh.
In short - not really. Cruze, Captiva, Barina, Malibu (yuck), Trax....none of them sold very well and they never received good press from the motoring journalists.

Commodore (Aussie built) is actually a great car (some series were better than others) - for it's design brief.
Aussies no longer want a large, powerful, affordable, reasonably reliable rear wheel drive car.
Personally I think people are wrong and stupid and the Commodore (and the later Falcons) were a better car for everyday use if you just made them with 4 cylinder engines for better mileage.
But every Tom, Dick & Sally wants a fucken' high-ride-height AWD SUV so they can tell themselves they're the "outdoorsie type".
How many SUV's actually hit dirt roads or cross shallow streams or drive across a field or around a sandy camp site?
The SUV marketing around The Great Outdoors definitely helped to kill Commodore/Falcon IMO.
But the market is the herd is the market.

By most accounts the current Colorado ute is actually a pretty good thing. They did some decent work to the ride/handling for our roads and it's got a lot of fruit for the money in the higher models......but's all about timing. It's being dragged down with the sinking ship.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
By most accounts the current Colorado ute is actually a pretty good thing. They did some decent work to the ride/handling for our roads and it's got a lot of fruit for the money in the higher models......but's all about timing. It's being dragged down with the sinking ship.
A mate of mine used to work in Holden support, apparently the Colorado is fine until you put something in the tray or use it to tow things, then you will develop oil issues. Just feels like GM can't make an engine properly.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
A mate of mine used to work in Holden support, apparently the Colorado is fine until you put something in the tray or use it to tow things, then you will develop oil issues. Just feels like GM can't make an engine properly.
Yeah wouldn't surprise me.
I don't / haven't owned one....my ramblings are just what I've read / watched.
My old man used to run Isuzu Rodeos in his construction company years ago. They were very reliable....but sample size of one.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can't just take billions of the governments money and then stop manufacturing at australia for the cost of nearly 1000 jobs. That backlash alone was nearly enough to kill the brand but then they decide to import cars unsuitable for Australian conditions plus a whole bunch of absolute lemons (the cruze in particular) that they backed up with incredibly poor customer service and a ACCC law suit. The whole thing has been an excercise in how not to run a brand.
Don't worry, Ford produced a lot of POS too, the explorers, mondeo and territorys were some on the worst cars I've ever had to work on, I can not remember being in any shop without a ford in-line 6 head removed and that was even in shops that predominately worked on holden.