NSW Hornsby Trails going ahead *Press Release*

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
where were all the greenies?
That photo only shows a few of the people that turned up, my fat arse is in it though. The main photo that was taken with everyone in it in front of all the crap we pulled out didn't make the paper.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The flyer looks excellent. Hopefully it keeps some of the opposing residents happy, or at least calms them down a little bit if needed.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
It's been brewing for years and now it's currently "On Exhibition".

Details:
http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/about-council/on-exhibition/hornsby-mountain-bike-trail-plan

"Make a submission Written submissions are invited and should be sent to hsc@hornsby.nsw.gov.au or by post to PO Box 37, Hornsby NSW 1630. The closing date for submissions is Friday 30 September 2011."

This is it folks, for Hornsby Shire Council. Now is the time to write in a letter of support please, or just take an earlier one and re-date it and send it. Typically with these things, numbers count. Even a one liner is another letter of support. If you are a local, it can be a good thing to mention it. If not, well that still helps every little bit. All those little bits add up into a really big helpful thing called "numbers of letters of support = x".

Check out the Sydney North Off Road Cyclists www.snorc.info website if you want to keep up to date with this journey. Locals, join up!. Most of the news etc is on Facebook as it's so simple, but if you hate FB and register in the forums part, you will get irregular newsletters occasionally.

thank you!!!!

justabuzz

Likes Bikes
It's been brewing for years and now it's currently "On Exhibition".

Details:
Now is the time to write in a letter of support please, or just take an earlier one and re-date it and send it. Typically with these things, numbers count. Even a one liner is another letter of support. If you are a local, it can be a good thing to mention it. If not, well that still helps every little bit. All those little bits add up into a really big helpful thing called "numbers of letters of support = x".

thank you!!!!
Done! Good Job!! :)

snappa

Cannon Fodder
letter submitted

i have written my letter, my wife has also and i've emailed a heap of bike riders to do the same.it only took 5 mins so
lets hope we get lots of peoples 5 minutes worth. there will be plenty of opposition to these trails so please everyone send an email. a 5 or 6km track would be mighty fine in hornsby!!:fox:

BUMP......

Submissions close tomorrow!!!!!!

If you live in Sydney and want more access to legal trails, please make a submission!

Basic notes:
We support the proposal for sustainable MTB trails in the Hornsby Area.

A diverse range of trails caters for a broad range of riders in the community.

These trails will encourage regular physical activity and promote healthy lifestyles.

The inclusion of a Pump Track and Skills Park in Stage 2 is a great idea! My kids and i will love it!

We commend Hornsby Shire Council on working through the challenges to deliver sustainable trails and unstructured recreational opportunities for the community and visitors to the area.

thanks
Nick

ntj

Likes Dirt
If you're free tonight (16/5) at 6.30

Not sure if it has been posted elsewhere, but the Hornsby trail needs support -- the NIMBYs are at it again.

Hornsby Council Chambers, 296 Pacific Highway Hornsby. 6.30pm. Numbers are needed. Let's get the trail built as originally proposed.

Luckily we've got this on our side (copy and pasted from email 15/05):

Thank you for your email regarding mountain bike facilities in Hornsby Shire.
As a Councillor, I am very much in favour of Hornsby Shire Council supporting mountain biking activities - in particular in the Hornsby Quarry / Old Man's Valley space.
I believe that well-planned mountain-bike facilities are a sustainable use of Hornsby's open space and reduce pressure on more sensitive bushland areas that some riders find themselves using because of the absence of mountain biking facilities.
In 2006, the previous Council spent $6,000,000 - six million dollars - on a dedicated equestrian centre that to this day remains under-used. There was also a pre-existing Council equestrian facility within the Shire.
In 2006, mountain bike riding had over three times the participation rate of horse riding and there were no formalised mountain bike facilities provided by Council.
This is one of the reasons why I ran for Council. I want to see the most 'bang for the buck' when Council spends money on community facilities.
Mountain Bike Riding is congruent with the bushland values of Hornsby Shire and is the second-highest leisure/recreation activity that residents would like to do within Hornsby Shire but do not - generally because of the absence of facilities.
With this mountain bike trail, Council can provide for the recreational needs of over three times as many residents as the previous Council's $6M equestrian facility and do it at 1/25th of the cost.
In 2009, I moved for Council to investigate the opportunities and costs for the provision of mountain bike facilities in the Shire and I have worked to maintain the momentum. This work spanned more than two years and I am thrilled to be considering the report produced by Mr Stephens' and Mr Federow's capable team.
Regarding the 'Southside loop'
I believe that there is a compromise that meets both the needs of the mountain bike community and the residents of Dural Street, Hornsby.
The mountain bike community have consistently maintained that their activities will not result in adverse noise, visual privacy, safety or environmental impacts.
The residents of Dural Street are concerned that Council officers, the mountain bike community, and expert consultants have potentially ‘got it wrong’ and that there will be adverse noise, visual privacy, safety or environmental impacts.
I propose the following amendment to Item 7, Hornsby Mountain Bike Trail:
“That twelve months following the opening of the Hornsby Mountain Bike Trail, Council conduct a review of the operation of the ‘Southside Loop’. The review should take into consideration issues including noise, visual privacy, safety and environmental impacts.”
With such a review, the mountain bike community can feel confident that no adverse impacts will be found, and the residents of Dural Street can feel that they are not locked into the 'southside loop' if, in fact, the experts have 'got it wrong'.

Please feel welcome to contact me with any questions and I look forward to meeting both members of the mountain bike community and residents of Dural Street at tomorrow night's meeting.

Kind Regards,

Bruce

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Finally

We got up including the South side... Whoop whoop.
After 4 years we can now start the tricky bit of building it.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
We got up including the South side... Whoop whoop.
After 4 years we can now start the tricky bit of building it.
Good work to all involved!

This really shows what can be accomplished when the mountain bike community as a whole gets together a helps out where needed!

Keep us informed, build days, next steps

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Here is what I have heard, but it's hard to ever know exactly how accurate things end up being:
- Master Trail Building classes by IMBA will be provided to a handful of people late July. These "Masters" will then be allowed to lead crews. It's about $1300 a head. If somebody wants to come up with $1300 it is possible they could be accommodated.
- "Trail Maintainer" Training will be provided some time after. These "Trail Maintainers" will be allowed to work as part of a crew. This will come some time after the master classes.
- A contractor has been appointed to start Stage 1 at OMV. This is the southern section on both sides of Quarry Rd in a parcel of land known as "Hornsby Park". The parcel of land just North of this is called "Old Mans Valley".
- It expected (at the moment, but it's a little fuzzy) that the volunteer trail crews will mostly be doing maintenance and assistance. We won't be working near the mobile plant the contractor will be using.
- It's not clear at this point if volunteers will be hand cutting trail in. It lookd more and more like the focus is on the longer term refinement and maintenance. I'd like us to get hand cut trail into this facility.. I'm just not sure just now.
- 50k state govt grant
- Another contractor has been appointed to do Montview and Wisemans ferry pocket parks (Jump and Pump).
- Outside Hornsby, but close by at Jubes, a contractor has been appointed to fix the sand and lack of vegetation on the flow track. I'd like us to be able to do a volunteer planting day at least, where we can plant tubestock. The work the contractor will be doing will be extensive and will include improving the last the last two lines of flowtrack, and the start bit of the uphill trail.
- The whole thing is flagged out and GPS'ed to death at OMV (this generic term includes Hornsby Park)l. There is an awesome variety of terrain. Rocky, grassed, open bushland, views, privet, bracken fern, gums... all right next to Hornsby CBD, TAFE, Hornsby pool (closed for a rebuild), and train station. It's right next to the outdoor cafe precinct and at least 2 bike shops could hit a golf ball into OMV from their front doors. Whilst it's not as long as we would like, it's in an excellent location.
- OMV is down to about 5.5 km now.
- Campbell is pushing on with the battle for Stringy Bark Ridge (NPWS land) which is a program similar to what you see them raving about at Garrigal.
- The SNORC official committee is Campbell, Craig and Martin (from Rocktrail).
- SNORC is an incorporated club under NSW Fair Trading.
- We hope to offer IMBA/MTBA membership that will cover members for regular organised social rides etc (a bit like TORC, but more like BikeNorth actually. TORC is a race club)
- We will have a calendar of events on the site. We expect to get pretty social, dinners, BBQ's, rides etc.
- We expect to have excellent support from Rocky Trail Entertainment. Martin is our Treasurer and lives near OMV. Martin and Juliane are keen to help host fun events once we have a facility in there. They have the knowledge, contacts, infrastructure and experience to do these well.

An incorporated called 'SNORC' has been formed and a temporary site is available here: www.snorc.info The Sydney North Off Road Cyclists Incorporated website is being rebuilt built right now by a professional web designer local to Hornsby. As soon as it is all ready and live, there will be a fair bit of marketing to get the SNORC name out there, and to get people onto the SNORC Newsletter list. The Newsletter will be the primary communication tool. It is likely the new site will be available at www.snorc.org.au, www.snorc.com.au, and www.snorc.info. I'll be chasing people to find 'Content Contributors', people who can string a couple of lines together and make articles for the site/newsletter. A photo and a story, that kind of thing. The more the merrier. I'm hoping to get some real active people helping with the journalistic part of providing content. All I can offer in return is thank yous currently, but I think you will get recognition. Some people might like to get amongst the leaches and help us maintain the trail, others might like to type stories etc for the website and newsletter. We are expecting to not run a forum, instead more a blog style approach where Snorc initiates discussion topic through an article etc. Can you imagine some of the oppositional types can cause a little trouble on a forum, and it's just more work moderating it.

Currently the thing to do is be on the SNORC Newsletter listing (I think you are Ben) and put your hand up to be a "Trail Maintainer" (or whatever the term is). Campbell is collecting the names together I think. Currently we are focusing on the MasterClass. You are welcome to write little (or big) articles, or some-kind of content ideas for the site, that would be great to. We are conscious, thats it's hard to keep people informed, and things change all the time. We hope to shortly improve a whole bunch of stuff including how easily and quickly we can get newsletters out.

Links:

https://businesspapers.hornsby.councilsonline.com.au/

https://businesspapers.hornsby.councilsonline.com.au/Open/2012/OC_16052012_AGN.PDF

https://businesspapers.hornsby.councilsonline.com.au/Open/2012/OC_16052012_ATT_WEB.HTM

Here is the map, not that easy to find in the minutes: https://businesspapers.hornsby.councilsonline.com.au/Open/2012/OC_16052012_ATT_EXCLUDED.PDF

Attachments

Last edited:

hansolo

Squid
Masterclass and workshops

I little correction - none of the snorc committee will be on the masterclass. Craig has volunteered to manage and run the masterclass with a small team who will develop skills as a result of being there. However, council is going to pay for 5 people to attend and these have been selected from the broader snorc member base. They are all fresh faces who have put up their hands to really help out. just wanted to point this out cause snorc have avoided choosing the committee to take these spots being paid for by council and wanted to open it up to new faces. Council are really investing in training the community so that we can take responsibility for maintaining the trail.

We may help build segments as there will be plenty to do but council are paying contractors to bear the brunt of the build.

The presenters at the masterclass will be Tony Boone and Nick Bowman plus a new IMBA face that we might see more of into the future called Marty Krieg.

The majority of stage 1 will be hand cut trail. There will be volunteer days that will involve all facets of trail abuilding from corridor clearing to benching in etc. Building should start around the 20/6. We should have dates soon for the volunteer days.
CK