Hottest 100

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
@steve jobs' pancreas
That chart is pretty telling huh. I haven't paid much attention to Triple J for a few years now but the things I hear in mates cars or at a BBQ or whatever are pretty dire. Seems to me like the energy of music in days gone by isn't a thing on the radio now and the dreary depressing stuff is what gets people into music.
Thank fuck I lived and breathed through the music that was created in the eighties and nineties.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
What's most interesting about that chart though, is that "indie" has grown roughly proportionately to the demise of "rock" (well until the last few years) But indie should really be part of rock, unless there is some decent reason? Or the definition really just follows the emergence of bands like Strokes, Hives, Libertines, White Stripes et al (looking at the wikipedia definition) at the start of the 2000s following the end of brit pop and grunge?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@steve jobs' pancreas
That chart is pretty telling huh. I haven't paid much attention to Triple J for a few years now but the things I hear in mates cars or at a BBQ or whatever are pretty dire. Seems to me like the energy of music in days gone by isn't a thing on the radio now and the dreary depressing stuff is what gets people into music.
Thank fuck I lived and breathed through the music that was created in the eighties and nineties.
I was discussing this exact thing with wifey on our way out to Phillip island on Sunday. You're bang on, It's energy that's missing. Even the shit stuff in the 90s more often than not had energy, and it was a 1 in 10 that was slow and trying to tug at the heart strings. It's all ass about now, so much so that when you get a whiff of energy on jjj you're almost fooling into thinking that it's a decent song because you've been starved of it for so long.

It's no wonder kiddies need to pop 17 pills to get through a day festival now, if they didn't they'd flat out fall asleep

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's most interesting about that chart though, is that "indie" has grown roughly proportionately to the demise of "rock" (well until the last few years) But indie should really be part of rock, unless there is some decent reason? Or the definition really just follows the emergence of bands like Strokes, Hives, Libertines, White Stripes et al (looking at the wikipedia definition) at the start of the 2000s following the end of brit pop and grunge?
I agree, indie is a bit vague. Could be indie pop - Lana del ray , indie rock - Tame Impala , indie dance - Cut Copy..
Dunno what is actually considered rock these days since there is virtually no path to a career as a rock band anymore, that probably partly explains that lack of pure rock in the hottest 100..

I’m 42, i have listened to a lot of JJJ and to be honest I reckon the late 90’s and 2000’s rock/indie stuff was mostly shithouse, I just never got spiderbait/tumbleweed/custard etc. And that stuff was absolutely flogged to death, I only put up with it waiting for the latest Prodigy/Chem Bros etc track to be played.. I feel exactly the same about the 100 in the last decade, mostly full of shit with a handful of great tracks..
I remember someone analysing what style of track historically charted in the top ten and in most cases the chorus/verse had “fuck” in it and/or was some sort of indie folksy BS..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I agree, indie is a bit vague. Could be indie pop - Lana del ray , indie rock - Tame Impala , indie dance - Cut Copy..
Dunno what is actually considered rock these days since there is virtually no path to a career as a rock band anymore, that probably partly explains that lack of pure rock in the hottest 100..

I’m 42, i have listened to a lot of JJJ and to be honest I reckon the late 90’s and 2000’s rock/indie stuff was mostly shithouse, I just never got spiderbait/tumbleweed/custard etc. And that stuff was absolutely flogged to death, I only put up with it waiting for the latest Prodigy/Chem Bros etc track to be played.. I feel exactly the same about the 100 in the last decade, mostly full of shit with a handful of great tracks..
I remember someone analysing what style of track historically charted in the top ten and in most cases the chorus/verse had “fuck” in it and/or was some sort of indie folksy BS..
I reckon the last Tame Impala album is right up there with the Chemical Bros Surrender. Even the b-sides are sublime.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This is kinda interesting....

TL/DR: the genres of music in the hottest 100 are largely changing because there's so many more people participating / voting now then back in the good old days (read: the 90s).

The definitions of genres are more blurred than ever these days, but one sound that has vanished from the top 10 is the sound of metal.

A handful of heavy tracks make the countdown each year courtesy of acts such as Parkway Drive, Architects, and Bring Me The Horizon, but you have to go back to the '90s to see metal in the top 10 (thanks to the likes of Tool and Korn).

:(

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
ffs the wiggles, theyve done a lot but that song doesnt belong at 1, the kid leroy was big in US..almost as bad as pretty fly for a white guy