How to How to GoPro.... Bible

Minlak

custom titis
Dead cats - Only $50:rolleyes:

Will set up a profile with his settings and give it a try.
I used the windbreaker on the 7 and it was pretty good - prior to that I went to spotlight and bought a fake moustache for like $2 and cut it up and stuck it on the microphone holes - I moved to windbreaker as the housing on the 7 got annoying - moustache will be what I do with the 9 as I won’t be using a housing.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I watched a few set-up videos last night, another YouTube vlogger reckons the GoPro colour on this model is a lot better than previous cameras so I'll try his settings too.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Mine arrived yesterday and I'm currently trying to get organised for a four day bike packing trip up the coast so won't have time to go through all the tutorials, quick question to the group, what video settings should I use that would best allow me to grab stills from it later. My intent is to mount it on the bars, hit record for a few seconds when I see something I want to capture and then go back at the end of the day and grab the stills I want.

Minlak

custom titis
I watched a few set-up videos last night, another YouTube vlogger reckons the GoPro colour on this model is a lot better than previous cameras so I'll try his settings too.
I think the color is better and I think you could really just shoot and upload if you wanted to - I just like the richness you get from post processing more "cinematic"

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine arrived yesterday and I'm currently trying to get organised for a four day bike packing trip up the coast so won't have time to go through all the tutorials, quick question to the group, what video settings should I use that would best allow me to grab stills from it later. My intent is to mount it on the bars, hit record for a few seconds when I see something I want to capture and then go back at the end of the day and grab the stills I want.
You will probably want to go the highest resolution you can, 4 or 5k. This will allow you to get the largest screenshot out of it later.
Just we wary that the files get huge quickly, but no issue if you are only doing tiny videos for the sake of screenshots.
Might want to also turn the frame rate up a bit to ensure you get a clear image.

Minlak

custom titis
You can also set it up by default to capture burst photos when you turn it on - then you would just have stills to choose from.

ozzybmx

I would be looking at Timewarp, if you have never had a play with it, its a moving time lapse.

No good for mtb trails as it works best going straight rather than winding trails.

A great way to capture the journey, will chew battery but the files are small. Also shoot as a video rather than single jpg's to minimise the file size and take advantage of Hypersmooth 3.

The only thing I would change below is sharpness to MED.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Cheers for all the tips, on the multi day trips like this one I'll be aiming to ration the battery life as much as practical so while the timewarp feature would be a great way to document it all I agree that it's probably going to be too hungry. The auto burst method sounds good, I'll have a play with both that and stills from video while I'm away.

ozzybmx

Cheers for all the tips, on the multi day trips like this one I'll be aiming to ration the battery life as much as practical so while the timewarp feature would be a great way to document it all I agree that it's probably going to be too hungry. The auto burst method sounds good, I'll have a play with both that and stills from video while I'm away.
Yes, Timewarp is memory card friendly but battery hungry.

Grab yourself one of these battery packs https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/cygnett-chargeup-boost-15k-charger-portable-power-bank-blue

I used one on the Mawson last year, was awesome for topping electronics up.

ozzybmx

Well, the video I shot yesterday looked great, found out my 2018 version of Cyberlink Powerdirector does not cater for 5K video, so I compressed to 4K - 16:9 and it looked shit for a 100mb vid, 1 min long and was 1gb in size.

Need to look into the 5k or compression.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, the video I shot yesterday looked great, found out my 2018 version of Cyberlink Powerdirector does not cater for 5K video, so I compressed to 4K - 16:9 and it looked shit for a 100mb vid, 1 min long and was 1gb in size.

Need to look into the 5k or compression.
Could give DaVinci Resolve a go, professional level for the low cost of free. Will handle the footage better and be far better for grading/export etc. That said, 5k video editing is pretty demanding regardless.

You could also transcode footage to Cineform (much more edit-friendly format) with GoPro studio before adding to workflow, which should improve performance - though does come at an intermediary filesize cost. There's also the "Optimised Media" option in Resolve too.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Look into a proxy workflow for whatever edit program you’re using. This means you do your creative process with low-res media, and allow the software to automatically deal with exporting the final master using the raw rushes.

The 5K thing is just for #marketing in any case.

ozzybmx

Got it. The earlier versions of PD had a maximum resolution of 4k something... Found on a PD forum to go into the profile data and edit the resolution on notepad, the program will then recognise the different resolution.

From 2018 onwards, you could type your own resolution.

I'll give it a go, if no good, 4K is plenty.

ozzybmx

That said, 5k video editing is pretty demanding regardless.
Its as slow as hell. I did a 15 second - 5K twirl of the room to upload as a test and its looking like a 10 minute render. My computer is pretty good but thats way too slow.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
DaVinci Resolve
This is what I have been using as a way of getting into it and didn't want to splash on Adobe straight out of the gate.

Plenty of tutorials out there for it as well. It is a little buggy but considering it is completely free I can't really complain.

Everything in my vids is built in Resolve, including all the animated bits and pieces which I am just learning now.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I don't use Resolve myself, but this would be a good start for those of you whose machine is struggling with the files:

I'm guessing there may well be a bit of a wait before the optimised media is created.

ozzybmx

I had to learn it all over again, the jump from the Hero5 to Hero6 had a hush hush change of video codec from H264 to HEVC265, I had a bootleg version of Sony Vegas Pro, which was awesome... but did not support HEVC without an update... and they dont like to update non official versions, this is where the change to PD came in.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I would look into transcoding into another codec over trying to edit in the native codec.

Never heard of PD, google to see if there is a proxy workflow.