How to How to GoPro.... Bible

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(..) didn't want to splash on Adobe straight out of the gate.
Don't. Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but as someone who has paid Adobe multiple thousands over quite a few years & recently cancelled everything (after finally cracking the shits with price increases for the last time), look at.. other.. installation methods.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I would look into transcoding into another codec over trying to edit in the native codec.

Never heard of PD, google to see if there is a proxy workflow.
The editing is no problem, Cyberlink Powerdirector generates shadow files in whatever resolution you want, I use 1080 for fast editing without laggy preview, it then picks up the original 4k/5k file and renders using it.

Been using it since 2017 https://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdirector-video-editing-software/buy_en_AU.html

ozzybmx

Don't. Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but as someone who has paid Adobe multiple thousands over quite a few years & recently cancelled everything (after finally cracking the shits with price increases for the last time), look at.. other.. installation methods.
Is this Premier Elements 2020 out right buy at $145 a good program ? I have golden ticket at the moment for software and computer equipment as I'm back at school... can claim back on tax next year.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You'd probably want to check that Elements supports the file types and sizes for import and export before splashing out - that may be one of the areas where it's limited.

Resolve would be the better bet IMO, the free version is pretty comprehensive from what I understand.

Minlak

custom titis
Resolve is a 100% competitor for Adobe Premier the free version of Resolve is missing mainly some collaboration features which you won’t need anyway - there are also plenty of people making plugins and templates and color grades etc that you can buy and tonnes of tutorials on YouTube

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
yeah Resolve has been great - hard to fathom they offer it for free considering all it can do
They're after market share mainly. It's only become an editing tool relatively recently, used to be largely (and remains) an excellent colour grading tool.

Blackmagic are a pretty cool company, a lot of their gear is extremely well priced for what it can do.

ozzybmx

You'd probably want to check that Elements supports the file types and sizes for import and export before splashing out - that may be one of the areas where it's limited.
The one I have does it quite well, I'll probably stick with it for now.

The 5K video was a really slow render compared to 4K, will take a few more and have a mess around.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The only real advantage I can see to shooting 5K is the ability to push in a bit and reframe in post without losing quality. Not really that relevant to shooting MTB videos.

You're not going to see much difference between 4K and 5K off that tiny lens IMO.

ozzybmx

Nearly twice the total pixels but 4-5 x the render time. 4K preview and render has no issues on my computer using CPD but 5K might be pushing the boundaries, the preview at 5K is also jumpy, will have to convert to shadow files if I persevere with it.

Or go with the standard rotorburn solution, new bike time New computer !

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
More pixels off a tiny lens doesn't mean much in terms of quality, and 5K isn't a delivery format anyway.

Like I said, good for pushing in in post if you want to re-frame or further stabilise.

Otherwise I would just shoot 4K and save myself the various bothers.

ozzybmx

Otherwise I would just shoot 4K and save myself the various bothers.
I switched from 5K and made up 3 x 4K profiles last night, mine with a bit of a tweak, then 2 custom profiles - Foam Rangers recommendations and another vloggers settings... who seems happy with the factory GoPro colour setting.

Just need this blue stuff to piss off....

ozzybmx

Went for a few runs today with different profiles created. Recorded the same short DH run for the 3 profiles below.

The vlogger video was shit, might have been because of the LOW sharpness so I didn't even bother uploading it.

Will move the vloggers sharpness next ride to see what that does.

Here's the Loam Rangers setting applied to 4k 30fps. Very flat but realistic.

Definitely need the fluff over the mics, the wind rush sound is pretty bad. Foam also shoots in wide, which seems to make the bike look slower.

I like the flat colour profile, will run it in Superview next and get a stick on moustache for the mic holes.

Press play on both videos simultaneously, my setting needs to go up to 1600 iso max.

Watch in 4k if you can stream it.

These are my settings, the GoPro colour is definitely obvious. It looks dark so will move my ISO max up to 1600 next time and after that, move the WB to 5500k.

I think Superview looks the best for MTB, makes it look a lot faster, will grab the Max Lens Mod when it becomes available, that will allow Horizon Levelling in Linear with a wide view.

Watch in 4k if you can stream it.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Arrrggghhhh !

Made some rings of double sided canopy tape, the stickiest tape on this planet. Eyebrows beware (yes from personal experience)

ozzybmx

I did another 4 runs today, changed a few settings and have now discarded the vloggers settings.

Today was severely overcast, I literally did not see a glimpse of the sun all day. Also didn't see any 'blue' but the GoPro colour on my vid shows some blue.

Changed the Loam Rangers standard flat settings to SUPERVIEW from his recommendations of WIDE.

I then did 2 runs, my settings on 1600 ISO max and then 3200 ISO max. The 1600 was too dark on an overcast day. Though both videos are dark, but pretty realistic to what it looked like out there today.

Check out the 2 below, foam rangers and my settings as above on a non-sunny day. The only difference now I moved the ISO max up to 3200 is the Colour and WB.

Top one is mine, bottom is the foam rangers. Play at the same time in 4K or 1440.

ozzybmx

if the vids are coming out dark couldnt you just pump the Exposure back up to -0.5 or 0?
Yes, that will probably work when there is no sun to cause the white areas.

Next sunny day I'm off, I'll see how the 2 profiles go, didn't actually think about the grey skies today.

Will be good to know what works and then what needs to be changed when the light changes.

Nothing as disappointing as heading away for a trip then getting home realising the settings were wrong for every video that was shot.