HYDRATION/BACKPACK MEGATHREAD - all questions on packs for riding asked/answered here

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Odd. I've had mine for 8 years and still love it. I see the design changed in ~2011 or thereabouts though.

Mine's like this

Can't fault it, TBH.

I usually stick my CO2 in the little MP3/iPod pouch (iPod in a bag is pretty useless), can fold up a rain jacket and stuff it in the bigger compartment, maybe a pump and a couple of tubes in there too, then multitool, plastic tyre levers, wallet, phone, keys etc in the small pouch. On extended climbs sometimes I unclip those two clasps on the back and pop them through my helmet straps to carry it. Can also squeeze a pair of soft uppered shoes in the open pocket for commuting with SPDs. Pretty good thing.
Bought one of these a few months back, I love it.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Hasn't been an issue for me. Seems to be a longer pack than others I haven't done a check. Will do when I get home. I reckon it sits lower overall but :noidea:
I found the issue of the backpack hitting the back of the helmet now I'm using an AM/Enduro type helmet which has substantially lower back-head protection than a typical XC helmet.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I found the issue of the backpack hitting the back of the helmet now I'm using an AM/Enduro type helmet which has substantially lower back-head protection than a typical XC helmet.
OK been trying different pack/helmet combinations.

For most riding I use a 661 Recon, so lower than a normal helmet but possibly not as low as some AM/Enduro helmets. I also tried the Kudu with my full face, Troy Lee D2, and had at at least a palm width clearance with my head bent back as far as I could, the Recon had more clearance. I would have to break my neck to get my helmet anywhere near touching the backpack.

The Kudu 12 is around 80-90mm longer than my old Mule but sits up less than 20mm* higher overall (i.e. most of the additional length is down low).

* measurement taking was highly scientific based on me sitting on bike then marking position of pack on my back with a texta then looking in a mirror...what could go wrong?

Last edited:

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Only happens for me when riding fast through large braking bumps or landing jumps. Probably the fact I was using an original CB hydration pack(like an elongated teardrop) and only a chest strap. However, with the Skyline i do like the low top of the pack which leaves the upper back area clear. It feels cooler with the increased airflow

MARKL

Eats Squid
Only happens for me when riding fast through large braking bumps or landing jumps. Probably the fact I was using an original CB hydration pack(like an elongated teardrop) and only a chest strap. However, with the Skyline i do like the low top of the pack which leaves the upper back area clear. It feels cooler with the increased airflow
Ok, makes more sense now. The Kudu is very different to the older Camelbak packs - 2 chest straps plus waist strap. Hardly moves at all.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have just switched to a Uswe pack. http://www.uswe-sports.com/products/hydration-packs/moto/a4-3-0l-100oz-black-grey-red

2.5L bladder in a reasonably small pack, but with enough space for standard tools and snacks, and a small spray jacket, but there are plenty of larger sizes. This one probably sits between a Lobo and a Rogue in the Camelbak family. Harness system is fantastic. I never had much stability from any of my Camelbaks, but this is rock solid. I loaded it up with the full 2.5L and as many tools as i could fit in for a test ride and the thing did not move at all. The single point clip in the centre of the chest I found much more comfy that two straps on my previous packs. I think the only detriment would be that its such a snug fit that it certainly means your back gets a bit more sweaty, however the larger packs have venting similar to the Camelbak. The bladder is great, full opening on the top so you can air it out and clean it really well, has a batten in the middle to stop it from sloshing when half full which worked really well, you can also unzip the baffle and increase capacity to 3L. The hose has a fitting similar to a garden hose, so you can disconnect it from the bladder very easily for cleaning and storage, it also seals the bladder when removed so you can fill it and pull the hose off if you need. Bite valve isn't the best, its closer to a sprung bike bottle nipple covered in silicone. Your teeth act like a wedge and they open it as you bite down, not uncomfortable but a different feel to the Camelbak bite valve. I may end up switching the Camelbak valve on. All in all a great pack.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Has anyone user the Osprey Raptor 14 riding pack?
http://www.ospreypacks.com/au/en/product/raptor-14-RAPTOR14.html
I've used other osprey packs in the past and they were all good.
Cheers
I picked up one of these recently and I've had a few rides on it now.

I changed from a Fox pack and the Osprey is better for the same size pack.

The waist band isn't as wide as the Fox bag but I haven't found that an issue. The pack is still solid and the pockets in the ends of the waist band are handy for storing little things that you need where you don't need to take the pack off.

Internally it's sorted out well with little compartments for different things and the tool area in the bottom of the pack it's good.

It can hold a full face or a normal helmet easily and there's plenty of room for both knee and elbow pads if you want to put both on the pack.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Hopefully it lasts!

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt

The waist band isn't as wide as the Fox bag but I haven't found that an issue. The pack is still solid and the pockets in the ends of the waist band are handy for storing little things that you need where you don't need to take the pack off.

Internally it's sorted out well with little compartments for different things and the tool area in the bottom of the pack it's good.

It can hold a full face or a normal helmet easily and there's plenty of room for both knee and elbow pads if you want to put both on the pack.

Lifetime osprey warranty if it doesn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Really keen to try one of those USWE packs sometime soon..
Just got a evoc team 6l cc for $55 on special though with a 2.5ltr bladder.. Stoked with that price.
Preferring the feel over my old lobo..

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Really keen to try one of those USWE packs sometime soon..
Just got a evoc team 6l cc for $55 on special though with a 2.5ltr bladder.. Stoked with that price.
Preferring the feel over my old lobo..
I have a USWE Airborne 3 pack, bit tight on storage for tools/tube/pump but with a bit of a juggle it all fits but the pack does not move at all. No more funky shoulder shuffles I used to do with my Camelbak to get the pack to sit straight, brilliant! Well worth a look.

Fortius

Likes Bikes

Thanks for the detailed reply, I've been eyeing it off for some time now and have been more impressed with their other gear than the other brands so will be putting one on the list for "Santa" (me) to get for Christmas

wkkie

Thanks for the detailed reply, I've been eyeing it off for some time now and have been more impressed with their other gear than the other brands so will be putting one on the list for "Santa" (me) to get for Christmas
No worries. The only issue that I had with it was that it didn't come with a bladder. No big issue though, I just used my old source / Kathmandu bladder until my next crc order where I put in an Osprey bladder. The only reason I did was really to get the magnetic bit that clips onto the hose.

There was another good feature of the Osprey bladder as well which was the hard back on it. Makes it easy to load and unload from full pack and it gives a little more back support too. The actual bite valve worked well, there were no issues with that. It's simple valve with no cover or twist needed to get the fluid unlike some other bladders.

Warp

Likes Dirt
There was another good feature of the Osprey bladder as well which was the hard back on it. Makes it easy to load and unload from full pack and it gives a little more back support too. The actual bite valve worked well, there were no issues with that. It's simple valve with no cover or twist needed to get the fluid unlike some other bladders.
I have a love/hate relationship with the Osprey reservoir. I love the bite valve and its magnetic attachment. I hate the hardback when it comes to washing it. Somehow I always end up making a mess, spraying water everywhere in the kitchen while washing it.

I normally don't reload the reservoir during a ride, so the hard back makes loading easy while creating another issue while washing it (and mate, I do hate washing reservoirs. I know I have to, though).

But for someone who don't have issues washing them, the Osprey reservoirs are great.

The pack itself (the Raptor) is really good. I rate it higher than my Camelbaks, but those are really good too. The Raptor 10 is a bit too big for what I do, so I use it less but I'm thinking on getting a Synchro 3 or a Viper 3.

wkkie

What do you put in your reservoirs? I haven't washed mine in about 3 years and no issues. I just give it a rinse before I use it and that's it. I only ever put water in mine though.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
What do you put in your reservoirs? I haven't washed mine in about 3 years and no issues. I just give it a rinse before I use it and that's it. I only ever put water in mine though.
Works for me too.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run dilute Milton baby bottle antibacterial solution through mine every couple of months. Seems to keep that back mouldy shit away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If i had anything except water in mine then i give it a rinse directly after use. I always store it in the freezer. If you really wanted to make sure you could get a small bottle of the no rinse santiser from a homebrew shop (napisan uses the same active ingredient as the coopers product but needs rinsing after wards) and run that through every now and then