HYDRATION/BACKPACK MEGATHREAD - all questions on packs for riding asked/answered here

floody

Wheel size expert
I hate my Camelbak MULE.
Odd. I've had mine for 8 years and still love it. I see the design changed in ~2011 or thereabouts though.

Mine's like this

Can't fault it, TBH.

I usually stick my CO2 in the little MP3/iPod pouch (iPod in a bag is pretty useless), can fold up a rain jacket and stuff it in the bigger compartment, maybe a pump and a couple of tubes in there too, then multitool, plastic tyre levers, wallet, phone, keys etc in the small pouch. On extended climbs sometimes I unclip those two clasps on the back and pop them through my helmet straps to carry it. Can also squeeze a pair of soft uppered shoes in the open pocket for commuting with SPDs. Pretty good thing.

Last edited:

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked one up on the weekend, 2L for $35. And my word isn't that bite valve an utter piece of shite?! I'll replace that when I stumble across another (cheap) design that I like.

Mine didn't come with a dust cover, strangely enough. Not that it bothers me, the warm water in the tube annoys me more.

Anyone got any good DIY designs for sheathing the tubing from the heat? I know you can buy neoprene sheaths but they can jam them up their arses for the price they ask.

You know what was weird though? The 2 & 3 litre bladders were cheaper than the 1.5 litre. I guess it may have something to do with demand.
Ive got a neoprene sheath i got with a snowboarding camelbak i bought a while ago. All yours if you want to pay shippping from Coffs to Cuntberra

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Absolutely.

PM acc. details and I'll pop in $10 (think that would cover postage, yeah?) when I get home on Monday and forward you my address.

Thanks heaps.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What's wrong with the mule? I love mine, packs in everything I rarely need..
Zips suck, top pocket for phone/mp3 device is super flimsy and loves getting caught in zipper, had to replace tube due to it having a 2 meter bend radius, and getting a full 3L bladder in is a nightmare. Also it's noisy, can hear it over headphones at times.
Comfort and position is fine, happy with it after 2-3hrs. Mine is latest style MULE

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
^^^^ what he said.

I love my Lobo, 3l water capacity, a few pockets for essentials but deffo not an all day backpack.

Fits me well, doesn't move around too much ( only a little when full of water on bigger drops and jumps).
what these 2 said
find its the best fit for me, and can carry enough goods to keep me happy on a 3-4hr ride.. run out of water before i need food anyway...

MARKL

Eats Squid
If you can have N+1 bikes you can have more than one hydration pack. I have three Camelbacks:

Mule (older style) - the one I mostly use, all day ride it is the go to pack.

Classic - race, short ride or walking distance to car/transport

Vantage 35 - overnight stay

All of them use the same three litre bladder which is great as I now have two spare bladders. And keep life simple keep your bladder in the freezer.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
EVOC packs are hard to go past for quality. Light, fitted to your size, big belt areas and straps that secure it properly, plenty of storage and well laid out. I've got nothing but praise for it, they're expensive though.
I just scored an XL Enduro Black edition for $60. Only been used once!

I need to buy a bladder for it, any recommendations? Do I need to get an Evoc branded one?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

I need to buy a bladder for it, any recommendations? Do I need to get an Evoc branded one?
I use Deuter bladders in my FR lite. They're good bladders, easy to fill and usually have a protective cap for the mouthpiece. Most bladders will do, you just need to make sure they can hang from the velcro strap inside the bag (it folds round the plastic handle on the deuter)

MARKL

Eats Squid
Camelbak KUDU

My old Mule broke late last year, repaired it but have replaced it with Camelbak KUDU 12 - love it, my thoughts:

* Fit is awesome - waist strap is excellent, pack sits really well on waist and works really well with double chest strap.
* Move around - On the back of the fit it doesn't move around at all, excellent.
* Weight - don't really notice the extra weight.
* Spine protector built in - seems good - wearing the hydration pack anyhow so why not have some spine protection? - even if it just protects you from crap in your pack better than nothing. I have a POC jacket and I am sure it provides better protection but for everything bar DH this seems a great compromise.
* Storage - better than Mule - bigger and better, pockets are good and roll out tool wrap helps keep multi tool, tyre levers etc organised and away from tubes.

HamboCairns

I use Deuter bladders in my FR lite. They're good bladders, easy to fill and usually have a protective cap for the mouthpiece. Most bladders will do, you just need to make sure they can hang from the velcro strap inside the bag (it folds round the plastic handle on the deuter)
I can't find Deuter locally or online so I'm going for the Evoc 3l bag :)

Z

Zaf

I have an EVOC and a Camelbak bladder, I prefer the camelbak, but both work well.
My praise for the EVOC still stands, it is a huge pack though, and although it's weight disappears (seriously the Enduro model kidney belt holds load so well), in summer that thing is like wearing a blanket! Def one for cooler climates or times of year.

HamboCairns

I have an EVOC and a Camelbak bladder, I prefer the camelbak, but both work well.
My praise for the EVOC still stands, it is a huge pack though, and although it's weight disappears (seriously the Enduro model kidney belt holds load so well), in summer that thing is like wearing a blanket! Def one for cooler climates or times of year.
I'm in Cairns :eek:

I guess I'll have to ride faster to get some airflow! Summer is about done anyway ;)

hakka

Likes Dirt
My old Mule broke late last year, repaired it but have replaced it with Camelbak KUDU 12 - love it, my thoughts:
I have the Kudu 18, the only issue I have is it seems to sit higher on my back than other packs and interferes with the back of my helmet (specialized ambush).

frank_n

Likes Dirt
I have the Kudu 18, the only issue I have is it seems to sit higher on my back than other packs and interferes with the back of my helmet (specialized ambush).
This is one reason I like the Skyline, sits low, doesn't move around and the water bladder is also shaped (pear) to distribute weight low.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Hasn't been an issue for me. Seems to be a longer pack than others I haven't done a check. Will do when I get home. I reckon it sits lower overall but :noidea: