HYDRATION/BACKPACK MEGATHREAD - all questions on packs for riding asked/answered here

demodv8

Likes Dirt
hydration back pack

Looking at getting new hydration back pack light weight that can hold full face helmet any ideas

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Camelbak MULE...use mine to carry a FF often...and when I want to abuse it, elbow pads and knee pads too.

ChopSticks

Banned
+1 for the Mule

have an NV version with a 3L reservoir

13L capacity means it carrys everything along with plenty of clips to hold your FF helmet

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Also look at Dakine, best I've come across (I had a Nomad). I've also had/have Camelbak (including a Mule) and Zefal.... That's all I got :)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I got a FOX Oasis (2013 version) recently.

Seems pretty awesome. 3 litre, and has a flap with clips on the front for storing helmets... dunno if it would fit a full-face or not.

wombat

Lives in a hole
+1 for the Mule

have an NV version with a 3L reservoir
I've got an NV mule too (as well as an old standard mule) and it's fantastic. NV back panel is well worth it for the improved feel and stability when the bladder is full (although I have the older NV design, not sure how the new one feels.

That said, I'm keen to try one of the new 'lumbar res' packs from Camelback. I really like the idea of getting the weight off my shoulders, and I've gotten some great feedback from people who are using the new bags. Charge and Volt are the ones I think.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
According to the websites the current Mule is smaller than the Nomad, both are 3L capacity. I have the previous versions of both packs and they were pretty much the same size. I found tha Dakine was better in the small details like better layout, better weight distribution once the bag was filled, the Dakine was better at carrying a FF helmet and pads,, etc. I found the sizing was really good too, a mate has a Drafter and found it a bit small at times like in winter.

AussieBen

Likes Bikes
All mountain backpack

Well hello there

Researching some gear on the web but not finding a lot of resources to answer the gaps in my decision making.

I've quite taken to two bits of gear, a 10L or a 16L Evoc brand. Most of the other sweet kit is way over 16L.

My gut feeling is the larger 16L packs would suit foreign alpine type all day rides where you need to carry heaps of shet. I don't see a lot of that around Newcastle/Sydney where I'm from. I don't want to get something to large and it turns out to be over kill. But on the other hand I want large enough to fit everything I need.

Do yuz reckon the 10L might fit some padded knee & elbow pads in the compartment for riding up or too trails?

Aim - acquire some gear that will suit my needs and not look like a goomba on the trails
Riding style - I ride up to ride down and love to get wheels of the ground where possible. Interested in competing in GravityEnduro stuff, so will want to lug a bit around.
Needs - a pack that will carry tools n spares, extra helmet, a 2.5L bladder, not to large, not too hot, knee & elbow pads if possible (bottle of rum I've decided to leave at home from now on, do don't need room for that)

10L: This will do everything, unknown if it will squeeze some pads in there
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/evoc-freeride-lite-team-backpack-10l-2014/rp-prod95026

16L: This one will carry pads no sweat, but I feel it might be on the large side
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/evoc-freeride-enduro-team-16l/rp-prod82610

This is not me, but gives an idea of size of 16L.

Keen to get some opinions.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
I've got the previous version of the 16 litre. It's good because it takes a lot if stuff but it's heavy. So using the camelback for short rides, minimal gear and the evoc for big days out.

ChopSticks

Banned
Camelbak Mule
+1
I have the Mule NV and is more than big enough!

3L Bladder is plenty even for me (cant stop drinking)
front compartment to fit all tool etc, top zip for phone and a center compartment for food, tubes, hand pump.... and plenty room left for a weather jacket, and knee/elbow pads.
the outter compartment also allows you to clip your helmet onto the buckle (great for those hot fire road climbs)

teK--

Eats Squid
I've got the one in the OP (the red/black one though).

It won't fit pads inside the pack. You could fit either elbow, knee pads, or a helmet in the helmet carrier system but I Don't think you'd fit all 3 or even 2 of those items. If you want to carry all that you will really need to get the FR Enduro which has loops to carry armour as well as the helmet carrier.

In saying that the FR Enduro is really big. I wouldn't want to use it for any ride less than an all day epic in remote regions.

With the FR Lite I can fit 2-3 litres of drink, tools, small first aid kit, shock pump, a tube, small headtorch, 3-4 energy bars, a light rain jacket, phone, and keys, and either a helmet or a set of pads in the carrier. But the pack is still not too big for bike park and normal rides where I might carry less stuff. And it's got a back protector built in. It is pretty amazing how slim it is with fitting all this stuff.