HYDRATION/BACKPACK MEGATHREAD - all questions on packs for riding asked/answered here

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
I was wondering if anyone actually had a EVOC CC 16L bagpack? I was thinking of getting one to use it as a daily commute. The thing I want to know if it's wide enough to fit a pair of sneakers for casual Fridays? Does anyone use it as a daily commute bag? Anyways any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan.

datnat

Likes Dirt
Osprey & Deuter would be my pics. And that goes for packs in general.
Im running with the Deuter Air Exp10. Liked it so much i went and also bought a 26L Deuter air as a general day pack.
View attachment 293779
+1, plenty of room, has rain cover & helmet 'holder'. Bladder had to be purchased separately with mine (O/S), but good solid, versatile bit of kit, and feels comfy on the back.

AussieBen

Likes Bikes
Shizer, I just found this:

Dakine Drafter 12L, I am sure it would jam some pads in there yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrP3dlY6jk
Hi all

I had the Red Dakine Drafter delivered today. Fit's the bill peeeeeeeeeeeerfectly. I am amazed at the qualify too.

• Fits my full face no wobble, OR fits XC helmet no wobble
  • Straps knee & elbow pads no sweat
  • Had breathable mesh that sits of the back
  • The back has hard plastic, so would protect the spine as well
  • I like the aesthetics, IMO second only to the Evoc product line but superior on features for my purposes.
  • Oh, and I got it for $AUD95 free delivery.

Thanks for the input peeps. See yaz at the bottom!

Last edited:

darkhorsefkn

Likes Bikes
Hi all

I had the Red Dakine Drafter delivered today. Fit's the bill peeeeeeeeeeeerfectly. I am amazed at the qualify too.

• Fits my full face no wobble, OR fits XC helmet no wobble
  • Straps knee & elbow pads no sweat
  • Had breathable mesh that sits of the back
  • The back has hard plastic, so would protect the spine as well
  • I like the aesthetics, IMO second only to the Evoc product line but superior on features for my purposes.
  • Oh, and I got it for $AUD95 free delivery.

Thanks for the input peeps. See yaz at the bottom!
Where did you buy the Dakine?

Winno

Likes Dirt
Race hydration; bidon or bladder?

Just wondering what peoples' preference is for hydration for the average XC race?
I use a Camelback Rogue (1.5L bag and minimal pockets for tools, etc) for my 3-4hr casual trail rides but was wondering if bottles are better for a shorter duration race?

I know that a bladder means a lighter bike but are there other pluses and minuses either way?

Cheers.

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most of my riding buddies hate the hydration pack, but I like how easily one can drink during tech sections. Lap based events, it's always a bottle, point to point I prefer a back pack if it has very long tech sections.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If you are well hydrated beforehand, I have found one bottle fine for the 1.5hr-ish xco races. I guess if someone was handing me bottles every lap then I'd take a half bottle every couple. In longer races (which I haven't done in ages) pack was necessary.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Generally a bag for me, but I'll go bottles sometimes, usually if I'm feeling a bit questionable about whether I can do the full race distance without stopping. I don't really like stopping, even if it's just to change bottle, so the bag works better. I'll sometimes carry a bottle as well as the bag on longer rides.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes and no Winno
For me, I find racing with a light camelback easier, as you can drink when you need to rather than when the trail permits. Courses like Toowoomba really aren't conducive to racing with a bottle, as it is singletrack climbing and descending, and it is really only fire trail climbs or flats I can comfortably drink on. Plus I tend to run electrolyte in the bottle for refreshing on the link trails.
Plus, the longer the race, the more you need. If you can get someone to hand you a bottle then all good - is much cooler than the CB, but it does depend on the course (and the temps as well). You should be drinking close to 1L/ hour during exercise - but that is very personal (I went through over 4L yesterday in 50km/3:30)

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I've made the move to just bottles for 50km events now - I use about 3 in total over the course of the race. I find it helps me keep cooler, as well as keep a more relaxed upper body due to having less straps everywhere etc.. I do use a small frame bag just behind my stem for tools/slightly heavier things in order to keep them out of my jersey pockets etc

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 on this, although now the Epic 29er has space for 2 bottles, the camelbak is becoming more redundant.
One of the reasons I got an Epic. Two easily accessible bottles. Win!

I've made the move to just bottles for 50km events now - I use about 3 in total over the course of the race. I find it helps me keep cooler, as well as keep a more relaxed upper body due to having less straps everywhere etc.. I do use a small frame bag just behind my stem for tools/slightly heavier things in order to keep them out of my jersey pockets etc
+1, plus I find having the weight on the bike rather than the rider a real plus.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
yep agree on the one bottle to get through a std length xc race (~1.5hrs). if it is hot, neck another bottle immediately before the start, or put a 2nd bottle on the bike, or have a spot trailside to pick a 2nd bottle up half way thru the race.

i am surprised that the qlders on here aren't dead against camelbaks, unless it is absolutely necessary. i am assuming that you guys have to often deal with temps closer to 30+ more often than we do in NSW. a hydration pack, no matter how compact, is gonna make you heat up and sweat more in hot weather.

in most instances*, i'd only take a hydration pack if i the water bottle carrying capacity is not enough. i am no pro and have major difficulties trying to handle a bottle on rougher twistier courses, but i still manage, and am happy to deal with a compromise of slowing down a bit while drinking.

i am a bit envious of those that can take 2 full size bottles on their bikes. even on a hardtail, the smaller size frames (that i am usually looking at) only fit one bottle.

*having said all this, i sometimes take a hydration pack on endurance-type events even if i know i could make it to the designated water stops with just a bottle - i have dealt with water stop queues, and prefer to avoid.

as stated above, for multi-lap races, where you can leave a stocked esky by the trailside - water bottles all the way.

another reason to take a hydration pack, would be if you want to be able to have two different drink types on the bike, and only have one bottle cage. i.e. one bottle for carbs/electrolyte, a hydration pack for pure water.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
i am surprised that the qlders on here aren't dead against camelbaks, unless it is absolutely necessary. i am assuming that you guys have to often deal with temps closer to 30+ more often than we do in NSW. a hydration pack, no matter how compact, is gonna make you heat up and sweat more in hot weather.
That's why I try to avoid them whenever possible. On my bike that only takes 1 bottle cage, I put a 2nd bottle in a jersey pocket for longer rides if 2 will do.

In saying that, I do wonder how those smallest camelbaks (hydrapak ?) would go in terms of heat / annoyance as, in summer, more than 2 bottles are certainly required if you are riding more than 35km.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I had a bladder cake up on me with some mysterious white stuff in the lines after I left it for a week. I was lucky to notice it before potentially drinking it, but a bit put off for the time being.

How does one wash the bladders pipes and all? Just a flush of hot to boiling water and leave to dry?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's why I try to avoid them whenever possible. On my bike that only takes 1 bottle cage, I put a 2nd bottle in a jersey pocket for longer rides if 2 will do.

In saying that, I do wonder how those smallest camelbaks (hydrapak ?) would go in terms of heat / annoyance as, in summer, more than 2 bottles are certainly required if you are riding more than 35km.
A 1.5 lt backpack is not restrictive or too heavy (to me). The trick is not to overfill it and avoid stuffing it with clothes, tools, and food.

A 3 hour ride in summer has me needing much more than 2 bottles... :)

Aaaand a 600ml bidon in a jersey pocket is way more annoying...

1298_black_l.jpg