I’m a bit late to the press fit bottom bracket party.

John U

MTB Precision
I’ve avoided any issues with pf bottom brackets until now. The pf 105 bottom bracket on my roady has just started to creak. Thought I’d just pull the bb out, have a look at it, regrease, and wack it back in and see how it went. I’m reading on the park website that these types of bb’s are only designed to be removed once. Bin it and replace it. Is this correct?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
You are correct. Some (Hopetech) have removable bearing that are designed as a serviceable part, but most of the cheaper pf BB's are plastic. For $25, I'd just put a new one in rather than risk having it creak again in no time.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Or suck it up and get a Hope pf bb that screws into itself to prevent future creaks. Get the lbs to install it and then you can remove and replace the bearings yourself with appropriate cheap tool from cyclingdeal.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
If you don't damage it on removal it'll creak again in no time as JT says, just replace it. When I removed mine they were munted as it took some whacking to get em out.

John U

MTB Precision
So traditional screw in bottom brackets can be moved from bike to bike, frame to frame, pulled out, inspected, and replaced, and pf can’t do any of these things? I guess if it’s munted and only $25 to replace that’s not too bad. Never had that issue with screw in bottom brackets flogging out so quickly.

Oddjob

So traditional screw in bottom brackets can be moved from bike to bike, frame to frame, pulled out, inspected, and replaced, and pf can’t do any of these things? I guess if it’s munted and only $25 to replace that’s not too bad. Never had that issue with screw in bottom brackets flogging out so quickly.
Have your eyes been opened to the wonders of pf bbs?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
This might be a stupid question, but...

What's the drama with a bit of squeak/creak from a low-mileage, clean, well lubricated pf bb ?

If you take the cranks out & there is obvious carnage or excessive play/slop then yeah, replace it.

But if everything is snug & there's minimal dirt...add some new grease, ride it until it's obviously rooted?
(Which could be ages?)

I know the creak is likely caused by micro movement between bb & frame, but bikes make lots of different noises as the various forces & loads are transferred....

Just sayin' is all (?)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
This might be a stupid question, but...

What's the drama with a bit of squeak/creak from a low-mileage, clean, well lubricated pf bb ?

If you take the cranks out & there is obvious carnage or excessive play/slop then yeah, replace it.

But if everything is snug & there's minimal dirt...add some new grease, ride it until it's obviously rooted?
(Which could be ages?)

I know the creak is likely caused by micro movement between bb & frame, but bikes make lots of different noises as the various forces & loads are transferred....

Just sayin' is all (?)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
As one who suffers from a creaky pf BB, it is just bloody annoying! No other parts on my bike make creaky cracking noises. Sure, cables rattle and the drive train grinds away but creaks imply something is wrong and with pf BB there is something wrong.

John U

MTB Precision
Or suck it up and get a Hope pf bb that screws into itself to prevent future creaks. Get the lbs to install it and then you can remove and replace the bearings yourself with appropriate cheap tool from cyclingdeal.

This bb screws into itself right? The tools listed with this bb look like press fitting items. I wouldn’t have thought these appropriate for a bb that screws into itself? I would’ve thought I’d need a tool to screw the bb into itself?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Dunno about the Hope but Wheels Manufacturing also do screw in PF adaptors, I have one on my Primer and it's been completely squeak free.

Oddjob

This bb screws into itself right? The tools listed with this bb look like press fitting items. I wouldn’t have thought these appropriate for a bb that screws into itself? I would’ve thought I’d need a tool to screw the bb into itself?
The tool drives the bb as you screw it in and then presses the bearings into place once the bb is installed. Jejames was the cheapest place I founf for the Hope pf41 bb and the tool. Strictly speaking you only need the tool to install the bb, you can drive the bearings out once they need replacing without touching the bb.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Interesting but its not much cheaper than the hope.

I just liked the design of that one. At the time I bought it it was one of the cheaper options, but not by much. The quality is good and its been a fit and forget part.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Wheels mfg and token also do a thread together bb. Like the hope bb you need additional tools to fit them

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The PF inventors can die of the Black Plague as far as I'm concerned.

NDS cup has started to migrate out of the frame, as the junk plastic preload adjuster on the xx1 cranks is useless.

Time for something quality.

FFS. So many bikes, all need something done to them.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt

NDS cup has started to migrate out of the frame, as the junk plastic preload adjuster on the xx1 cranks is useless.

Sram bb30 preloader sux balls

I fucked mine off and converted to a cinch setup and it seems to work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Sram bb30 preloader sux balls

I fucked mine off and converted to a cinch setup and it seems to work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Custom, made to measure spacer tube is my intention, with wheels manufacturing cups, and hybrid ceramic ball bearings.

Oddjob

Mwahahahahaha HT2 is your friend, or xtr, or cinch, or.... actually anyone but sram.

Check out mtbr before getting the wheels manufacturing bb. There have been reports of problems.