Indigo Epic Trail

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Awesome, would be good to hear - I'm thinking of going up there around Easter for a bit of a camping trip. It's good there's decent camping near the Yack trailhead.

Switch

huskier headed gent
0.jpg

Did the Yack to Yack epic loop last Friday on the ebike. Another couple of mates have done it as well and we all enjoyed it but probably more of a tick the box and no great desire to do it again. A lot of climbing for the amount of downhill reward, apparently you can ride the pink loop (sign posted at the trail head) to get to the top of the downhill quicker. The Ferny Gully section in the middle of the trail before the waterfall is the best part of the whole track.

Switch

huskier headed gent
Somehow not 1:1?
Surely on an ebike you don't STILL complain about climbing?
There is a big difference in the number of climbing Km's versus descending Km's on this trail, not talking about vertical meters. I am not saying I didn't enjoy some of the climbing, up the old mining trails was fantastic. I was just trying to give anyone reading this another perspective rather than that of the XC whippets. Climbing is generally a necessity to descending but downhill will always be more fun.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
There is a big difference in the number of climbing Km's versus descending Km's on this trail, not talking about vertical meters. I am not saying I didn't enjoy some of the climbing, up the old mining trails was fantastic. I was just trying to give anyone reading this another perspective rather than that of the XC whippets. Climbing is generally a necessity to descending but downhill will always be more fun.
So you want the descent to also average 3-4% so that the distances are equal but you have to pedal on the descents?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Not having ridden this trail I do get the point - Stonefly at Buller is similar... well over an hour climbing for a ~12 minute descent. Admittedly a technical climb which is good fun.. but then the descent was really steep and lacked flow so was just a brake burner.

Switch

huskier headed gent
So you want the descent to also average 3-4% so that the distances are equal but you have to pedal on the descents?
Show me on the dolly where the ebike touched you!
Sorry that I have a different opinion of the Trail than you. Was just trying to give my personal thoughts on the trail to those who come across this thread when considering riding it.
There are some fantastic aspects to the Trail and the Trail builders have done a great job. But what appeals to some may not appeal to others.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Not having ridden this trail I do get the point - Stonefly at Buller is similar... well over an hour climbing for a ~12 minute descent. Admittedly a technical climb which is good fun.. but then the descent was really steep and lacked flow so was just a brake burner.
You could make the descent last an hour but not be fun I guess?
Show ne on the dolly where the ebike touched you!
Sorry that I have a different opinion of the Trail than you. Was just trying to give my personal thoughts on the trail to those who come across this thread when considering riding it.
There are some fantastic aspects to the Trail and the Trail builders have done a great job. But what appeals to some may not appeal to others.
An epic trail is by definition a back country trail experience that's challenging but achievable.
Flow elements are somewhat desirable in any modern trail but the key reason for an epic is to showcase the location.

The official imba accreditation has a defined set of metrics. (Notwithstanding that imba currently have the accreditation on hold)

This doesn't include catering to those purely looking for a gravity experience.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
An epic trail is by definition a back country trail experience that's challenging but contains at least 86 yewwwwss per 1km of trail.
Flowdurbro elements are somewhat desirable in any modern trail but the key reason for an epic is to showcase how sick you are to your middle-aged colleges when you’ve built your entire personality around riding 10k trail bikes.

The official imba accreditation has a defined set of metrics. That get adjusted according to how many Insta followers you have.

This doesn't include catering to those heathens that actually know at the end of the day mountain biking still isn’t cool, ur just an old bloke riding ur bike in the woods.
I’ve amended the bits you’ve misquoted from IMBA @Ackland
Also attached a picture of the clientele that these flow trails are marketed toward. These guys bring in a substantial boost to the local highland community so don’t hate on them when they turn up in their 70k suv after punching out 40hours in front of a screen.

yewwwwwwww
DC0114D6-F4A0-490D-A63B-E56B83E82966.jpeg

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I’ve amended the bits you’ve misquoted from IMBA @Ackland
Also attached a picture of the clientele that these flow trails are marketed toward. These guys bring in a substantial boost to the local highland community so don’t hate on them when they turn up in their 70k suv after punching out 40hours in front of a screen.

yewwwwwwww
View attachment 398148
10K bikes and 70K utes, ha what peasants.

S-works Kenevo Turbo and Ranger Raptor or Ram truck with the full Kings Catalogue installed for me thanks.