Intense Cycles warranty/customer service

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, I'm not going to get into slandering but I just thought I'd share my experiences regarding a warranty claim I have made with Intense Cycles.

In February 2017 I purchased an Intense Spider 29c frameset from Pushy's. I built it up about 2 months later and have ridden it a few times each week since. After the first few rides one of the upper pivot bolts came slightly loose, so I removed all of them and added Loctite (which was not added by the factory on assembly!). Since then the bike has performed well. I ride a lot of rough trails but I don't do any large drops or jumps...certainly nothing beyond what the bike was designed for.

3 weeks ago whilst riding, the upper drive side stay snapped in half without warning. WTF I thought! I was close to the car so no long walk. I contacted Pushy's who requested photo's and details as to what occurred. There are no impact marks, no scratches or any other damage to suggest the bike was crashed so I was baffled! I filed a warranty claim with Intense USA 2 1/2 weeks ago and after the initial quick response stating they'll get me up and running quickly, I can't get a straight answer as to whether they are honouring their warranty. Both Intense Australia and USA have stated these breaks occur when linkage bolts fall out. I have told them several times this is not the case; however it appears they seem to be leaning towards offering a crash replacement rather than warranty.

After 2 weeks, I receive a very short email from Intense USA advising the rear triangle is no longer available and they could "help" set me up on a later model Primer. Still no mention of whether I'm expected to pay for it or not. Anyhow, that was 5 days ago and despite 2 emails requesting clarification I still have no replies. Intense Australia are getting no feedback from Intense USA and seem reluctant to just get on the phone and say hey WTF is going on?

Out of frustration I have contacted Dept of Fair Trading who have advised me to get Pushy's involved as that is who my contract of sale is with. I must say that Pushy's are being very helpful at this stage despite knowing I have contacted Fair trading and they will likely soon be contacted by them requesting information. I have advised my contact at Pushy's that unless I have a response from Intense offering a warranty replacement by next Wednesday, I will hand the matter over to Fair Trading to sort out.

I know these things take time to sort out; but seriously, all I want is a response advising me of what the situation is. If it takes 6 weeks or however long, so be it!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if I had my time again I would have stuck with big name brands such as Trek, Giant, or Specialized whom have a strong backup network within Australia!

Anyhow, I will post updates as to how it all works out; but at this stage it isn't looking great!

Z

Zaf

Communication is key in these matters, people don't mind being told if there are delays or an issue, but transparency is the major thing. It's amazing what a quick e-mail saying "We're sorry for the delay, you've not been forgotten, we're just looking into it a little further and it might take a little longer to come back with a solution".

There are some Australian companies that could take some serious notes on lesson...around the Toowoomba region in particular (I will only toe that line because I don't want your thread to be deleted).

In any case, I hope it's all resolved quickly and to satisfaction. Pushys have a good wrap in my book; a mate has bought a few ENVE wheels from them in the past that have had an issue or two, and even something like Maxxis Tyres with dodgy beads out of the box they've always come to the table on.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Its a shame as Intense are really nice.
My experience w another US frame manufacturer was OK but was slow and took great patience and persistence on my part including sending photos and agreeing to pay some of the ridiculous cost of postage.
Note under Australian consumer law Pushys are really liable as the retailer of the frame.
Surprisingly or not companies like Pushys are really sensitive about their reputation since the onset of social media.

Z

Zaf

Its a shame as Intense are really nice.
My experience w another US frame manufacturer was OK but was slow and took great patience and persistence on my part including sending photos and agreeing to pay some of the ridiculous cost of postage.
Note under Australian consumer law Pushys are really liable as the retailer of the frame.
Surprisingly or not companies like Pushys are really sensitive about their reputation since the onset of social media.
Intense also had a major change in business model recently, and Pushys was dropping the stock because of that. So it could very well be a bit of a "who's problem is this actually" while they figure it out. I think it would be a different story if you'd gone with a Commencal, as Pushys are the distro for them (iirc) so it's clearly their thing to handle.

Still, you're hitting it from all avenues.
If it makes you feel any better, with my Stumpy frame crack on the seat tube, that was a straight warranty process through Big S and it still took a month's turn around.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Firstly I would have said for them to prove you wrong, if they thought it was the cause of a loose bolt.

Don't be fooled though as other companies do this do also, a mate had a carbon Santa Cruz bought from a well known shop in Brisbane and was told no warranty because the bike had a few minor scratches on it but initially he was told it was warranty, until they found out that the rear chain stay was no longer made or in stock.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Intense also had a major change in business model recently, and Pushys was dropping the stock because of that. So it could very well be a bit of a "who's problem is this actually" while they figure it out. I think it would be a different story if you'd gone with a Commencal, as Pushys are the distro for them (iirc) so it's clearly their thing to handle.

Still, you're hitting it from all avenues.
If it makes you feel any better, with my Stumpy frame crack on the seat tube, that was a straight warranty process through Big S and it still took a month's turn around.
Pushys have been good despite no longer dealing with Intense. They are fully aware of their responsibilities and are pushing the Australian distributor for answers. But yeah, ultimately Pushys will be the ones Fair trading will go after for a resolution.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Firstly I would have said for them to prove you wrong, if they thought it was the cause of a loose bolt.

Don't be fooled though as other companies do this do also, a mate had a carbon Santa Cruz bought from a well known shop in Brisbane and was told no warranty because the bike had a few minor scratches on it but initially he was told it was warranty, until they found out that the rear chain stay was no longer made or in stock.
I have pretty said this. I guess you could argue that a key component such as a pivot bolt that should have been loctited and torqued correctly shouldn't fall out in the first place!

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Communication is key in these matters, people don't mind being told if there are delays or an issue, but transparency is the major thing. It's amazing what a quick e-mail saying "We're sorry for the delay, you've not been forgotten, we're just looking into it a little further and it might take a little longer to come back with a solution".

There are some Australian companies that could take some serious notes on lesson...around the Toowoomba region in particular (I will only toe that line because I don't want your thread to be deleted).

In any case, I hope it's all resolved quickly and to satisfaction. Pushys have a good wrap in my book; a mate has bought a few ENVE wheels from them in the past that have had an issue or two, and even something like Maxxis Tyres with dodgy beads out of the box they've always come to the table on.
The thing is, now unless I get a complete turnaround in attitude and am offered a warranty replacement at no cost I don't want a bar of Intense! Even if all else fails and Fair Trading decide I have no case, there is no way I'm going to pay money for a crash replacement knowing that I am being treated as a liar. From what I can ascertain, a crash replacement will be at least$1000 US plus shipping. So then I would sell the frame for whatever I can get ($2000 perhaps considering it would have no warranty) and start again! Easier to tell them to go f*ck themselves and tell my story on every public forum I can find.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have pretty said this. I guess you could argue that a key component such as a pivot bolt that should have been loctited and torqued correctly shouldn't fall out in the first place!
Pivot bolts come loose all the time on carbon bikes without them making the frames crack. Unless it's something obviously like the bolt has half come out and jammed against the frame but clear markings on the frame would have been evident from this.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pivots bolts come loose all the time on carbon bikes without them making the frames crack. Unless it's something obviously like the bolt has half come out and jammed against the frame but clear markings on the frame would have been evident from this.
Exactly. Mine was loose by perhaps 1 turn and I knew it straight away as I could feel a rattle in the rear end each time the shock fully extended. I stopped, tightened it and kept going! You'd have to totally clueless to not know a pivot bolt had fallen out and even moreso to keep riding if it had. It would still take a period of time or some big hits with the bolt missing to cause a stay to totally fracture!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Keep at it with Fair Trading, sounds like they're trying to wear you down and hope that you go away. It's certainly not a good look for the retailer or the bike manufacturing company.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Good luck...I'd wager you're going to be given the generous option to purchase the new frame significantly discounted, but still at no loss to the importer. Which we all know isn't going to cut it and isn't a warranty replacement. Your best shot will probably be to angle for a refund, which will probably require leverage from the authorities.

Then you'll cry some tears and buy a giant. You'll feel dirty and shamed, but they have plenty of practise at honouring warranty...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It is disappointing that the more expensive boutique brands seem to make life hard for warranty. SC's record sounds mostly good for US customers.

Intense seems have some seattube / shock mount snapping issues on the Tracers from memory.

Giant's warranty policies is probably the best one out there.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good luck...I'd wager you're going to be given the generous option to purchase the new frame significantly discounted, but still at no loss to the importer. Which we all know isn't going to cut it and isn't a warranty replacement. Your best shot will probably be to angle for a refund, which will probably require leverage from the authorities.

Then you'll cry some tears and buy a giant. You'll feel dirty and shamed, but they have plenty of practise at honouring warranty...
Giant doesn’t do 29” in the Trance or Reign otherwise it woul be an option!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I had a great (aside from the frame craving part) warranty experience with Intense a few years back. FTR and Moonman on Rotorburn (brand manager at the time) had me a replacement for a frame wishing cracked a seat stay in no time.

I reckon their sales model change will negatively affect the after market service compared to me experience though.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a great (aside from the frame craving part) warranty experience with Intense a few years back. FTR and Moonman on Rotorburn (brand manager at the time) had me a replacement for a frame wishing cracked a seat stay in no time.

I reckon their sales model change will negatively affect the after market service compared to me experience though.
Something has changed! Their response is woeful!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Minimal! No, about the only mainstream bike I like atm is the Norco Sight. Trek Fuel have weird geo, Specialized are overpriced!
The Big S have recently taken FOUR MONTHS to honour a mates warranty. Delay, deny, "oh sorry never got the email" and "that employee no longer handles warranties, please resubmit your claim"

Carbon bikes built and marketed for AM/Enduro are intended to be ridden hard.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like how the loose pivot bolt leading to failure is somehow accepted as normal by intense. D heads.

Dept of fair trading won't do anything so don't count on that as a driver. It will get added to a list of things to get to when they have unlimited resources to investigate one off low value claims.

You have 2 options under ACL, chase the manufacturer or the retailer. As the former is OS and not subject to our ACL, suggest you go the latter now that you've informally checked out and closed out the former.

It doesn't matter what pushys says it wants to do with distributors and other parties, you can press your rights, right now. It is a major defect, and you can demand a refund for the full amount you paid. s54 and s260 are your new friend.

As i mentioned in the old cracked frame or scratch thread:
"You are entitled to what you paid for and you shouldn't be 1c out of pocket at any stage incl replacement hoses, bleeds, whatever. It's on the shop's dime, and if they don't like it, stop selling that product they can't support."

Attachments