Intense Cycles warranty/customer service

bear the bear

Is a real bear
That is interesting. Did he say anything about the way the claims were handled by the big three?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Older MTB (Think it was an Epic) cracked. Rep reviewed, they advised that there were none left in stock due to the age. Due to changing standards this would have meant trashing all the older component's etc. Specialized's solution was to have the frame repaired (not sure by who), and re-painted and stickered by Paint My Bike. All linkage bearings were replaced, and bike fully service before being returned to the customer....

Giant generally replaced with no drama's or questions asked.

Trek.... well... they were Trek. He had a lot of difficulty with claim's through them. One of the shop blokes had a road frame declined, as they claimed it was mistreated and abused...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Older MTB (Think it was an Epic) cracked. Rep reviewed, they advised that there were none left in stock due to the age. Due to changing standards this would have meant trashing all the older component's etc. Specialized's solution was to have the frame repaired (not sure by who), and re-painted and stickered by Paint My Bike. All linkage bearings were replaced, and bike fully service before being returned to the customer....
I had an older triple chain ring Giant road bike that cracked at the seat tube junction. Giant had a look at it, agreed to a warranty. 2 weeks later they just gave me a whole new bike because the old parts couldn’t be swapped over to a new frame.. Even bumped me up a few model’s and came with a better groupset. Can’t really ask for better service than that.. Bought a few more giants after that, one them cracked and were replaced with a new frame no questions asked.. Not on giant mtb anymore as I wanted a trail 29er.. I have a spider 29c like Chris and have just checked the torque on all the pivot bolts ..

slowandold

Likes Dirt
I bought a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 in September 2016. Frame cracked around the seat tube/top tube junction about 6 months after purchase. Warranty was accepted within 24hrs and frame upgraded to the 2017 9.9. Rode that one until December last year until it developed cracks in the same area. Again, warranty was accepted within days. Upgraded again to the 2018 9.9. Beginning of this month the shock crapped itself. It was sent to Sola for warranty repair but for some reason, rather than repair it, replaced with a brand new shock. It has been extremely frustrating to lose the bike for over 10 weeks in total as I don't have a backup but I can't fault Trek's warranty support. I love the way this bike rides and the warranty support will keep me on it for some time yet. I'm surprised to hear that people have had trouble with Spec warranty as I know of some riders who've had really good outcomes. ChrisJC, I really hope that Intense come to the party for you. Real shit attitude from a bike company that hold themselves at the upper end of the market.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I picked up a Spider frame from MTB direct on run out around 18 months back. It had some delamination in the BB shell, so I got in touch and sent a couple of pics. Warranty was accepted within a week, and I was supplied with a Primer frame as they no longer had that model of Spider in stock. Keep the pressure on Pushys. They supplied you with the frame therefore they should be dealing with Intense with regard to solving the issue.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I had an older triple chain ring Giant road bike that cracked at the seat tube junction. Giant had a look at it, agreed to a warranty. 2 weeks later they just gave me a whole new bike because the old parts couldn’t be swapped over to a new frame.. Even bumped me up a few model’s and came with a better groupset. Can’t really ask for better service than that.. Bought a few more giants after that, one them cracked and were replaced with a new frame no questions asked.. Not on giant mtb anymore as I wanted a trail 29er.. I have a spider 29c like Chris and have just checked the torque on all the pivot bolts ..
Riding mate had the last year of the 26 inch trances, cracked (he's a gentle rider), giant replaced it with a new 27.5 and the model above.

Will happily buy a Giant after seeing his experience, smart way to do business.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I picked up a Spider frame from MTB direct on run out around 18 months back. It had some delamination in the BB shell, so I got in touch and sent a couple of pics. Warranty was accepted within a week, and I was supplied with a Primer frame as they no longer had that model of Spider in stock. Keep the pressure on Pushys. They supplied you with the frame therefore they should be dealing with Intense with regard to solving the issue.
So since starting this thread you’re the 4th person that’s had issues with Intense Spider 29c frames sold by either Pushys or MTB Direct. As one member suggested in a PM: there’s something not right about his frame and thinks it was part of a batch of 2nds dumped on the Aussie market. Seems he may well be right!

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's been a few complaints about Intense and warranty on here in the last few years with other models. I think Pushys and MTB burned themselves by selling them so cheap and no one wants to own up for warranty now. Pretty thin looking seat stays and even the cross section shape doesn't look strong, it's just begging for trouble on a serious mountain bike. I've found Pushys always like to play games with warranty, you've got to be really direct with them.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's been a few complaints about Intense and warranty on here in the last few years with other models. I think Pushys and MTB burned themselves by selling them so cheap and no one wants to own up for warranty now. Pretty thin looking seat stays and even the cross section shape doesn't look strong, it's just begging for trouble on a serious mountain bike. I've found Pushys always like to play games with warranty, you've got to be really direct with them.
Hopefully they’ll do the right thing. I’ve been very direct in my latest email. Have given a timeframe and demanded a refund.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lots of people seem to think the Chinese use inferior carbon and manufacturing methods; however I have a Yishun 29er hardtail with a 120 fork and dropper and it has done everything the Spider has done including dropoffs and jumps and it is still going great guns! Frame cost me $500 2.5 years ago!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
intense has always had quality control issues, supposedly cleared up since they stopped manufacturing ally frames in the US. Guess not.

Which is a shame because they make nice frames

Flow-Rider

Burner
Lots of people seem to think the Chinese use inferior carbon and manufacturing methods; however I have a Yishun 29er hardtail with a 120 fork and dropper and it has done everything the Spider has done including dropoffs and jumps and it is still going great guns! Frame cost me $500 2.5 years ago!
I ran a $700 Chinese copy of a dual suspension Scotts spark for 2 years, threw everything I had at it and never broke the rear stays. Pivots looked cheaply made compared to the real thing but they lasted.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
So since starting this thread you’re the 4th person that’s had issues with Intense Spider 29c frames sold by either Pushys or MTB Direct. As one member suggested in a PM: there’s something not right about his frame and thinks it was part of a batch of 2nds dumped on the Aussie market. Seems he may well be right!
Either that or an end of production run they were overstocked with. Fingers crossed you get a Primer replacement, they are awesome!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So are Norco any better to deal with than the others? I don’t mind the look of the Sight C9.2
I've had nothing but success with Norco warranty. I've had to make a couple of claims on things (a frame and component issues) and it's been sorted within a week. That being said, I am very lucky to have a very reliable bike shop guy who I shop with who goes above and beyond to get his customer's back on their bike.
I have had a few warranty dealings on other brands and have not had any bother whatsoever. I work in a company that has some big dollar value dealings with warranty items so I'm kind of exposed in a few different scenarios. My teaching through my workplace has taught me that the initial contact point is the key and how they act with the next guy down the line is crucial.
I expect support from a place of purchase, the authorized repair and service agent and to an extent the manufacturer. If I have purchased something from a distributor and not directly through a manufacturer then I would not expect any support from the manufacturer unless it's extreme circumstances (for example; a store closes). Not to try to juggle two things here but I have had great short timed warranty dealings with some brands but also know the process of a warranty on other items and it can take months.