Scooter what about eski-boy? you could get your funky dance moves on :D
I agree with the rise against choices, great to listen to

My contributions would be:

Pretty Fly for a White Guy - The Offspring
Back Round - Wolfmother
Highway to Hell - AC/DC

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Tarantula - Pendulum would have to be one of the favs of the moment before riding, live version at Brixton Academy

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Grades?

Quick question I couldn't make the first round what were the grades like? Wouldn't be in A but B, C was there much difference?

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Quick question I couldn't make the first round what were the grades like? Wouldn't be in A but B, C was there much difference?
A= super fast (I'm mid A on a good day)
B= not as fast as A
C= not as fast as B/punters/people who are there for the fun of it
Helpful i know :p
Do you race club level? If so what grade are you in those because these are about the same.
:cool:

akashra

Eats Squid
A= super fast (I'm mid A on a good day)
B= not as fast as A
C= not as fast as B/punters/people who are there for the fun of it
Helpful i know :p
Do you race club level? If so what grade are you in those because these are about the same.
:cool:
How about:
A = I'm quick enough to race at the front of U17/U19 or anywhere in Expert/Elite/U23
B is 80% "I'm quick enough to race in A but I'm a goddanm sandbagger" and "I race A grade with my local club, and at crits, and everywhere else, but Elite level rider X is in A so I'll go B" and "I haven't been riding for x weeks" and "I have a cold" and "I cbf racing today" and 20% "I don't fit the criteria for C"
C = This is my first year racing, xor I didn't finish a race last year in the top 5 anywhere in the state.

Some additional exclusion criteria.
1. If you can define the terms VO2max, FTP or Negative Split, you're probably not C grade.
2. If you've ever actually done a test for any of the above, it's very very likely you're not C grade.
3. If you've ever podium-ed in C grade in a reasonable sized field in a previous years season, you're not C grade anymore.
4. If you've ever raced A grade (ever), you're not C grade. Ever again.
4a. No, I don't care that you haven't ridden for 12 months.
5. If you're a B grade roadie, you're not C grade.
6. If you're an A grade roadie, you can probably handle a bike well enough even if "you're not a mountain biker". You're not B grade.
7. If you can race a 100km marathon, you're probably not C grade.
8. If you're having problems because you've caught traffic of the tail end of the grade above on the first lap, you're in the wrong grade.

Okay there, I've had my fun for the night :)

Last edited:

quiggs

Likes Dirt
How about:
A = I'm quick enough to race at the front of U17/U19 or anywhere in Expert/Elite/U23
B is 80% "I'm quick enough to race in A but I'm a goddanm sandbagger" and "I race A grade with my local club, and at crits, and everywhere else, but Elite level rider X is in A so I'll go B" and "I haven't been riding for x weeks" and "I have a cold" and "I cbf racing today" and 20% "I don't fit the criteria for C"
C = This is my first year racing, xor I didn't finish a race last year in the top 5 anywhere in the state.

Some additional exclusion criteria.
1. If you can define the terms VO2max, FTP or Negative Split, you're probably not C grade.
2. If you've ever actually done a test for any of the above, it's very very likely you're not C grade.
3. If you've ever podium-ed in C grade in a reasonable sized field in a previous years season, you're not C grade anymore.
4. If you've ever raced A grade (ever), you're not C grade. Ever again.
4a. No, I don't care that you haven't ridden for 12 months.
5. If you're a B grade roadie, you're not C grade.
6. If you're an A grade roadie, you can probably handle a bike well enough even if "you're not a mountain biker". You're not B grade.
7. If you can race a 100km marathon, you're probably not C grade.
8. If you're having problems because you've caught traffic of the tail end of the grade above on the first lap, you're in the wrong grade.

Okay there, I've had my fun for the night :)

there goes all my excuses and me sandbagging in B grade

:p

quiggs

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Couldn't have expected better answers B it is, so I can get pumped by all those sandbaggers with a cold.

Marauder

Cannon Fodder
Should be a blast, hope weather holds.
I saw some Geelong boys up here on w/end getting some early training in.
Looks like its game on as the clubs go head to head.:D

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
ride saturday some the awesome trails of nerrina

the club are going out from the start/finish of sunday's race to put up the bunting at midday on saturday. From Little bendigo school Monte street Ballarat. Either come and check out the xc course or spend your arvo yo-yo-ing and jumping up and down the hill. (tip bring your dirtjumper and your health insurance) If you want a different track try the great divide trail all the way to Creswick (20k) AND back. The trail includes part of sundays race.

Bring some warm clothes. Ballarat is not famous for no reason.

Send the missus and the kids to Sovereign hill, or the wildlife park, or the awesome playgrounds around the lake/paddock

Knut

Troll hunter
This is roughly how I pick your grade.

As you walk up to the rego desk, you have already been assessed.

You are A Grade if:

If you are a skinny kid wearing a hoodie and tracky dacks (to hide your muscle definition) and stand quietly in the background and patiently wait for your plate to be handed to you personally.
If you walk through the rego crowd and avoid touching other competitors as you may get their cheap bike germs.
If your bike has the perfect amount of chain lubricant and is suitable for a saddles and buckles inspection.
If your kit has white as the prodominant colour and is manufactured by Nalini, Assos or Santini.
If your legs are waxed as opposed to shaved.
If your girlfriend is an ex-podium girl.
You stayed at the local Sheraton or Mecure the night before.
We know you normally race A, but you are overtrained from racing in the Protour and burned out. Then manage to put on an Acadamy award winning cough and gently ask to be in B Grade.
You have a Weight Weenie Login.
You have a Cyclocross bike for training purposes.
You can name all of the members in every Pro Tour team, current and past. Or
You complain that B Grade is too tough.

You are B Grade if:

You look at the A Graders and know that you are going to kick their skinny asses all over the course and hand it back to them on their Weight Weenie plate.
You wear shy shorts and a plain top. Lycra is for spoiled prats
You run flats, because clips are for the weak.
You drink beer, not Endura.
You talk at the bar, not eat Torq Bars
Your legs have hair. Because you are a man.
You own a Yeti.
You love the hurt. You hate hills.
You would not be caught dead on a road bike.
You ask what the hell is all the fuss with Cyclocross. Or
You compain that C Grade is too tough.

You are a C Grader if:

You are old enough to have a son in A Grade and you don't ride a Yeti.
You have a road bike because you like the colour.
You have never eaten a Torq Bar or drunk Endura. And never apire to either.
You don't care that SRAM XX comes in 14323456 different combinations.
You do not have a clue what Cyclocross is.
Derailluer is the coolest word you know.
Hills are for walking up and riding down.
You thought that halfway through the race you should have gone to Soveriegn Hill with the kids. instead.
You have this look on your face at rego of confusion, excitement and anticipation that this next three hours or so is really going to hurt.

We will do our utmost to place you in your appropriate Catagory.

Last edited:

fergo

Likes Dirt
Well we are now Into Winter - it apparently snowed today in Ballarat. Forget the mud tyres, go the spikes!!

JessD

Likes Dirt
snow mud sleet...yipee

Well we are now Into Winter - it apparently snowed today in Ballarat. Forget the mud tyres, go the spikes!!
Well Ferg, I must say that forecast makes Jess on happy girl.

Back in 2006 GMBC held an enduro near Ballan and it near on snowed there and non stop rain all day.
It was an absolute pleasure to be racing solo on that day and within the hour I felt comfortable with my rear end snaking its way along the trails.

On the other extreme, riding this years Otway Odyssey with hot northerly's at 6am in the morning was NOT fun.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
ok, so I am sick and wont be able to race tomorrow :( bummed......was really looking forward to this one. My question is, if I come and ride one lap will I still get some points and not get put down as DNF???

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
Feedback on the ballarat interwinter

yes the rain sucked, the crazy dog lady who ripped up the track only yesterday and necessitated other track changes due to dumping ASBESTOS! on the trail. It got a bit muddy, people's crossmark tyres got a bit clogged. But did you enjoy the race, the course, the assistance from DSE, the volunteer paramedics, the schoolkids bbq?

please comment here but please please write to the editor of Ballarat's newspaper. www.thecourier.com.au

thanks to all again for coming out in the rain and making a great race!