Inter Winter XC Series

Rocky Riders

Likes Bikes
The rocky rider trail fairies were out in the pineys on the weekend and report that the trails are in tip top condition - lots of tacky single track.... but still plenty of rocks!

Rocky Riders

Likes Bikes
sweet :)
will the track be marked sat arvo?
Afraid not... unsavoury people seem to hang out in pine forests at night, and unfortunatley the local unsavoury types have in the past taken a liking to our red arrows, so much so that when we returned at day break they were all gone! So it'll be an early start for us Sunday morning....

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Afraid not... unsavoury people seem to hang out in pine forests at night, and unfortunatley the local unsavoury types have in the past taken a liking to our red arrows, so much so that when we returned at day break they were all gone! So it'll be an early start for us Sunday morning....
ahhhhh. bastards. well then it will have to be an early turn up for a practice lap then :)

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Racing on my new S-Works epic this weekend :D
Gona bring some hurt!!!!!!!!!
A grade will be a smashfest for sure..
:cool:

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
Tyre choice

can anyone give us a insight into what tyres they will be using at Castlemaine rd 3 assuming you know the track,will crossmarks do or will we need a little more traction,eg knobbys
For what it is worth, over a decade of building and riding these trails ( yes I am a old bastard ) suggests that lightweight tyres with soft sidewalls do poorly in the Pines. Crossmarks are ok, ignitors work well, Conti mountain kings likewise. For Weight weenies with racing ralphs or nobby nics be prepared and anybody with hutchys of any kind forget it. Its not about the grip, everthing is slippery in the wet, it is all about sidewall cuts and pinchflats, oh and bigger is sometimes better. I personally run panaracer fire xc tubless ( old school is the new school ).
jake

Teaser a small portion of trail near the back half of the course

[video=youtube;b6QHCrBVG5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6QHCrBVG5k&feature=related[/video]

akashra

Eats Squid
So can someone tell me, are the trails grippy (but not slimey) enough that I can bring my already dirty hardtail w a Crossmark/Monorail combo on it, or do I need to bring the clean Anthem with ADvantages which I really cbf cleaning? :)

Nevermind. I've been informed in no uncertain terms by the person I'm sharing a lift with tomorrow "do not take a hardtail", and that of his billion bikes, he's taking the one with the most travel and a working granny ring.

Last edited:

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
grippy but not muddy

So can someone tell me, are the trails grippy (but not slimey) enough that I can bring my already dirty hardtail w a Crossmark/Monorail combo on it, or do I need to bring the clean Anthem with ADvantages which I really cbf cleaning? :)

Nevermind. I've been informed in no uncertain terms by the person I'm sharing a lift with tomorrow "do not take a hardtail", and that of his billion bikes, he's taking the one with the most travel and a working granny ring.
calm down tim, 3-5 laps of the pineys is not going to destroy your bike, unlike the last round. It hasnt rained for the last couple of days and the track is damp in places but not at all muddy, save for one or two puddles. You should not need your granny gear. In fact this course takes in most of the old world singlespeed track minus the nastiest climb. See you all tomorrow it will be frosty but dry.

akashra

Eats Squid
calm down tim, 3-5 laps of the pineys is not going to destroy your bike, unlike the last round. It hasnt rained for the last couple of days and the track is damp in places but not at all muddy, save for one or two puddles. You should not need your granny gear. In fact this course takes in most of the old world singlespeed track minus the nastiest climb. See you all tomorrow it will be frosty but dry.
I think you missed the :)

I'm less worried about destroying parts than turning up to yet another ride/race with the wrong tyres and no grip whatsoever.
:( to taking the climbs out though :)

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
I think you missed the :)

I'm less worried about destroying parts than turning up to yet another ride/race with the wrong tyres and no grip whatsoever.
:( to taking the climbs out though :)
CALM DOWN is our club moto, with over 80 souls pre entered, we should see at least 150 racing tommorow. Advantages and cross marks work equally well, unless there is a inch of rain right before the start gripping the dirt wont be a problem, its the exposed roots and greasy rocks you have to watch out for. Stop typing and prep your bike:)

Last edited:

riderideride

Likes Dirt
anyone know if Castlemaine cycles will be open tomorrow and if so what time??? desperately in need of a brake bleed....no brakes! wont be able to race tomorrow if I cant get them fixed :(

riderideride

Likes Dirt
tried to replace the pads and had the wrong ones... put the old ones back in and now they pull all the way to the handle bar and nothing happens. tried to bleed. unsuccessfully

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
i will bring some pads and fluid and my tool box with me tommorow, make sure you get to rego early. I will be there abouts at 8.30.