Inter Winter XC Series

adaib

Likes Dirt
Everything is fine, moist but not overly wet. Seek me out at the race and I will give you some options....there are plenty

Jake.....Stay for the presentations I will be there.
I've got all the maps and stuff, as I've ridden there before. we wanted to ride the upper Pines, where all the steep techy stuff is, and i was hoping they're ok. CBf riding out there if its screwed...

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
Castlemaine Interwinter round 2 sunday 17 july

Ok. Out and about on the course last night on a night ride, race course not wet, access tracks ( yes they were wet ) it pissed down heavy drizzel and some showers yesterday and while we were out. Tracks were moist, but not wet. sun is shining and the forecast for the next few days will have the bushland as dry as a chip. My feet did not get damp all night long, and I roosted some puddles on the way home.

In the 10 years that we have been running races around here, we have hardly had a wet muddy one.

For the Pines all the tracks are clear, I and some others have spent plenty of time in there with the chain saws clearing the whole loop.

for more info visit the club website. At this stage there are about 90 entries, so we are looking forward to a excellent days racing.

oink.

Chasing Bacon or The Riddle?

I've been hearing some negative stuff about the Castlemaine track being pretty damp and stacked with fire trails, although I've only heard only good things about the Riddle race in Riddells creek, apparently it's a whole new track, a never before seen or raced track with not a single puddle and 90% singletrack. Sounds pretty good to me, and it's on privarte property so it sounds like they have been doing a lot of work with no restrictions, I've heard they have put a few surprises in to challenge and excite riders. My money is in the Riddle.

also
moist [mɔɪst]
adj
1. slightly damp or wet​

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
I've been hearing some negative stuff about the Castlemaine track being pretty damp and stacked with fire trails, although I've only heard only good things about the Riddle race in Riddells creek, apparently it's a whole new track, a never before seen or raced track with not a single puddle and 90% singletrack. Sounds pretty good to me, and it's on privarte property so it sounds like they have been doing a lot of work with no restrictions, I've heard they have put a few surprises in to challenge and excite riders. My money is in the Riddle.
Ah... Unattributed hearsay. That most reliable of information sources.

...pause...

Not!

Dr. Kyle, if you are going to undermine the Castlemaine event then at least have the decency to do it with some first-hand knowledge.

akashra

Eats Squid

also
moist [mɔɪst]
adj
1. slightly damp or wet​
And I've heard there's some pretty lame and desperate tactics being used to try to drag people away from Castlemaine, here we see evidence of it. Can I point out that 90% single track in an enduro ourse is a *bad* thing?

A course that's never been raced or publicly been ridden can really claim very little over public land that can be checked any time by the general public.

bunchie34

Likes Dirt
Entries close this Thursday July 14, so make sure you visit the butcher and place your order. You can enter on the day but be early, and it will cost you an extra $5.

As extra motivation we’ve got a piggy for you to chase. Importantly the piggy is racing to raise money for an AIDS/medical clinic in Cambodia. If you see the pig, pass the pig, or get passed by the pig please throw some money at him. There’ll be piggy banks at the race or you can donate online here
My mate is the pig. God help him out there.....

Just bringing this to the front of the thread again so that any of you with spare change can find the link to donate to him.

It's a very worthy cause and should be an awesome day of racing! Go hard and get that pig!!!!

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
I've been hearing some negative stuff about the Castlemaine track being pretty damp and stacked with fire trails,

also
moist [mɔɪst]
adj
1. slightly damp or wet​
Now it is Frosty not Moist Oink Oink

500m of fire trail out of a 5 km XCO course is not stacked. Plenty of singletrack fun for the 100 + entries we already have .

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
Track Conditions

I went out there this afternoon to see the track and try it for myself. I was lucky enough to bump into one of the locals who showed me around the race course and some other trails as well.

The trails are dry, grippy fast, and fantastic. I did not get a drop of mud or water on my bike, and I had a blast. There is only one word for this race track, and it is..

Totally Excellent

OK, so it was two words... I'm a bad person. Let's hug, and cry, and move on.

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
Looking forward to it. Sounds good Timmy. Might go up tommorrow for a roll around. Sunday is going to be awesome!

throwback

Likes Bikes
Looking forward to it. Sounds good Timmy. Might go up tommorrow for a roll around. Sunday is going to be awesome!
Yeah our crew are likely to be out there for a spin tomorrow afternoon as well. Under a guise of 'checking out the course' but basically just building up a thirst ready for Le Tour on the big screen. See you out there...

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Bumped into Timmy!!! out there this arvo, good fun. Just thought I'd post some extra info as it's a couple of minutes ride from where I live. I'll probably be sleeping in Sun morn, might hear me snoring :p

The bulk of the course is single track with a sprinkling of short wider track and dirt road sections so passing shouldn't be a drama. There's really only one slow point in the entire course to look out for - a tight U turn at the bottom of a short rocky-ish little descent that could catch you out the first time around. The rest of the course though is fast, couple of +40km/h single track descents, some short climbs here and there, a mix of surfaces, hammer the whole way round pretty much. There are a few places the trail tightens up as it passes between trees - wide moto bars could lead to anguish.

As of this arvo it's in prime condition - dry, fast and grippy - thanks to the rain early in the week followed by some sun. The forecast for Sunday includes rain moving in from the west during the early hours of the morning onwards but dunno, only small amount of rain by the look of it so who knows, could amount to zip. Mud is not a drama in that area anyway as there's not enough dirt to make much mud... but riding around there in the rain the drive train can get coated in fine grit so I would bring a mid-heavy lube just in case. Water drains away so fast from these trails... all up they're little gems during Winter.

Lots of trails on the other side of Muckleford-Castlemaine Rd too, worth checking out after the event if you get the oppo.

xc-midwinter-info.jpg

J3$$3

Likes Dirt
Missed out on entry :( dodgey computer crashing and dieing!!! :mad: If there are any entrants not entering anymore for a reason of which i dont mind, I'd love to take it off your hands and am keen to race :D Anyone with a spare or unwanted entry, contact me asap as i really want to race :)

riderideride

Likes Dirt
You can race for me if I can have your points! :D I have entered the whole series but am sitting this one out due to illness. Will be there on support duty though :)

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
Into every life a little rain might fall

Sunday 17 July
Cloudy. Areas of rain. Winds northerly averaging 15 to 25 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around 5 with daytime temperatures reaching around 10.

Rain wont effect Castlemaine until after the race is done. If it does get wet, the track will stay moist, but not muddy.