Is DH only for the younguns?

Cooch

Likes Dirt
39 years old and still stepping it up and up - well down and over gaps really :p

Lots of young-whipper-snappers crashed on this one... ha ha ha

Deadman

Likes Dirt
I've seen the young Dh'ers mooning old folk hoping to shock them. Well I have reversed that - I moon young people. I shock them alright, they see the affects of gravity on an old set of genetils and an inflamed 'roid or two.....only joking!

DM

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
39 years old and still stepping it up and up - well down and over gaps really :p

Lots of young-whipper-snappers crashed on this one... ha ha ha

is that you Cooch?,nice!.Kel told
me about that race,all the young blokes were pinning the big jumps but crashing on the
technical bits,mebe the old folk know something after all eh?;)

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
I've seen the young Dh'ers mooning old folk hoping to shock them. Well I have reversed that - I moon young people. I shock them alright, they see the affects of gravity on an old set of genetils and an inflamed 'roid or two.....only joking!

DM
you probably inflamed those bad boys whilst out riding without a seat:p

Cooch

Likes Dirt
is that you Cooch?,nice!.Kel told
me about that race,all the young blokes were pinning the big jumps but crashing on the
technical bits,mebe the old folk know something after all eh?;)
Yeah man, that's me :p

I guess we know what to hit and what to ride around... :rolleyes:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
So you wouldn't spend an extra 8% to protect your life....? I certainly did. I don't think they are expensive at all.

Like you said - bargain!
I think you guys are over estimating the protection offerred by these braces.
As somebody who spends a fair amount of time reading medical literature and looking after paralysed people, I can tell you that there is no evidence to suggest that neck braces work. They might actually increase the rate of injury ccause people who use them think they are invincible and take greater risks.
I can tell you that wearing helmets reduces the chance of a head injury but increases the chance of a high spinal injury. That holds true for motorbikes anyway.
I'm not suggesting that you not protect yourselves with this stuff but to ride beyond your skills thinking you are pretty safe cause your wearing a $400 brace would be foolish.

indica

Serial flasher
I love DH.
2 years ago from my tax return I bought a second hand Kona Stab, killed it in 5 runs.
Finally I have got this in the shop on lay-by.

Do I need it? No.

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm 37 in a couple of weeks and I still feel like I'm improving over last year. Been riding for 16 years now and am more pumped on it than I ever have been. I live in Squamish now (35mins from Whistler) and I ride almost every day. Like lots of 'old' guys, I've built a pump track in my yard so I can get on the bike even if I only feel like putting in 15 minutes.

It amazes me how many 'old' people ride Whistler bike park. And many of the 40+ crowd are women too. In fact there are probably as many 30+ women as there are under 30 women and many days in the lift lines I'd say women represent 30% of the riders. They kick some serious ass in many cases too. So there's no excuse :)

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
Some of the older guys in CCOMTB are awesome, I was waiting for my 2nd run at the last club meet and got chatting with a fella in the masters class, I didn't know it at the time but as I was talking to him his son was taking off from the start line - only found out after my run they were family members racing together. :)

Some of them are seriously quick too! :cool:

tricycle

Banned
i just started this yr had some great crashes and at times really pinned it,its a constant learning experience. its also made my trail riding better!!!!

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love DH.
2 years ago from my tax return I bought a second hand Kona Stab, killed it in 5 runs.
Finally I have got this in the shop on lay-by.

That is a very nice ride,

I have only taken up Dh in the last 4 to 5 months and man am i loving it, have pretty much given up XC.

I have now done to CCOMTB club races and planing to do the whole session next year.

finkrat

Squid
I've been downhilling for about 8 years just for fun and still getting faster and going bigger (for now!).

I just turned 45 and recently got back from Whistler, as some other people have said it's a great place to hone your skills with well built trails to suit every level, and the thing that surprised me was that I was no where near the oldest guy on the hill and also how many girls of all ages and even whole families were to be seen getting on the lift. How ever old you are if you can afford it, go there..it's just incredible :cool:

The other day I shocked a couple of younger dudes who thought they were going about to get in trouble riding a slightly illegal trail, until the old guy (me!) asked them to help move a rock to finish off the jump I'd been building :D

The only thing I'd say about getting older and doing downhill is, it definately keeps you young, but if you fall off you'll feel every bit of your age so get good armour and wear it!

Ahhh to be young and old at the same time!!!

Went to whistler to visit my sister who has lived there for 20 years and (expecting van to be blanketed in white) just before the olympics...thought it would be impossible to ride while i was there. My buddy who is the Norco team rep hooked me up with the 2011 Team DH and we hit North Van just behind his house!!! It was too good and for Jan 7 i couldn't believe my luck!!! Went biking more than snowboarding!!! Being now 37 it is definitly not a young guys only sport! I am currently looking for a 4X or short duelie to get back into it!!! Hope to see you guys ( supposidly old) out on the trails!!! Chewy

jawry

Likes Dirt
Old farts

nice to see some fellow old farts around...

Hello CHB, EZ, Sparky and Cooch.

I'm up to 46 notches on the walking stick and only came to DH about 3 years ago.

Loving it!

The riding is only half the enjoyment - being out in the bush with a bunch of like minded souls (whether over 30 or not) is the best bit!

The older i get the faster i was....

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
your still quick J-Man you just pick your moments these days,have to agree with you mate
getting out in the bush with good friends like yourself is a poultice for the soul.
is downhill only for the young uns'?,absolutely,but its the ride that keeps you young anyhow ,i guess i'm 49 years young:D

AshR

Likes Dirt
Never too old to race, I got a DH bike last year just before the first round of the Vic DH Series, turn 30 in May.

I'm defiantly not the fastest in Vets by a long shot but after two races getting more comfortable with the bike on a couple more ride days can only get better :)