Is Strava putting other MTB Riders and the general public at risk?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Star , end and 75% matched .

So you don't have to do the exact course, just something close.
We run our xc races in alternative directions every now and then you get a stuffed strava segment as it records the segment as you travel in the opposite direction. Hard to explain.
Say the loop is a circle and the segment is the top right hand corner going clockwise, Sometimes when riding anticlockwise get a segment time for going past the start point, riding the bottom half and top left hand quarter and passing the end point. So that 75% thing must be variable

Knut

Troll hunter
The more apps and programs that tell what wattage, speed, heart rate, core body temp, what they had for dinner last night, the better. Because the tossers that are fascinated with that shit are the real danger to those who just ride. More retrievable data means more time they are away from the trails. Can't see a problem really?

Oldas

Likes Dirt
I've recently started riding my MTB more regularly and found Strava to be great. I can see my improvements and how I compare to other's riding similar or the same courses/tracks. As with everything it is the user who determines wether it is used for it's intention or to be a dick and put other's in danger.

I was riding with the Mrs at Youie's last weekend when this guy came flying toward us with no intention of slowing down. He was out of control, as he went passed I looked at the Mrs and we laughed as we said "Strava run".

HEBEGB

Likes Bikes
Its Simple!!

People should take responsibility for there own actions! Most people I know when they are training are riding as fast as they can, otherwise how would you get any better as a rider and a racer. Strava is a good training tool for you to record your improvements but you still need to ride to the track conditions.

The simple thing is when we ride we should always look out for others on the track. Usually on a trail someone will be descending and someone climbing. If you are climbing and someone is coming the other way, Don't crap yourself! Just move to the side of the track and let them pass. you can chase that KOM another day.

Common sense, courtesy and awareness should rule on the trails!!!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
People should take responsibility for there own actions! Most people I know when they are training are riding as fast as they can, otherwise how would you get any better as a rider and a racer.
So you haven't heard of recovery rides/weeks then?

Strava is a good training tool for you to record your improvements but you still need to ride to the track conditions.
Agreed!

The simple thing is when we ride we should always look out for others on the track. Usually on a trail someone will be descending and someone climbing. If you are climbing and someone is coming the other way, Don't crap yourself! Just move to the side of the track and let them pass. you can chase that KOM another day.
Why should the climber always have to yield? It's harder to get going up a hill then down. Anyways I guess its a "case by case basis" - who should yield has been done to death in previous threads :)

fergo

Likes Dirt
Got my radius to 2km I think it is? Plus my bike descriptions are rather "abbreviated" :)
Mine was 100m and I went to change it to 200m. Now the default is 500m-1km. I've been removed from all leaderboards that start and or finish within that area, including my ride to work ones that were private. I now have to start them 1 km from my house!

Not happy Jan!

Mike95

Likes Dirt
I was just looking at the privacy settings & could not see away to set a distance.
It seems it just a default radius now.

I have quite a few segments & rides that fall within this default radius.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Mine was 100m and I went to change it to 200m. Now the default is 500m-1km. I've been removed from all leaderboards that start and or finish within that area, including my ride to work ones that were private. I now have to start them 1 km from my house!

Not happy Jan!
I figure its worth losing a few KOMs (not that I have/had many) to safeguard my privacy :)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This article was emailed to me today from Bicycle Network Victoria. Thieves using social ride websites with GPS data to locate your bikes.

http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/94970/

I've got the "privacy radius" set to 100m, might be making it more now.
this might be more the case "He added that the issue could be exacerbated by the platforms linking to Twitter and Facebook, which could inadvertently ‘advertise’ the whereabouts of bikes." so your ride data goes out of your private zones and is visible on other apps - so your start/finish location is viewable. so be wary of what apps you automatically allow into your strava account.

akashra

Eats Squid
Same goes with people trying to set high-speed records descending. By putting the onus on the rider likely to have the higher speed, it reduces speeds overall and requires more caution of those likely to be cause more damage. Requiring the descending/faster rider to yield, as a result, means safer trails all-round.

Got my radius to 2km I think it is? Plus my bike descriptions are rather "abbreviated" :)
When Strava finally introduced this feature, for no other reason I completely stopped using Garmin Connect because it lacked this feature. I had made feature requests to both, and frankly, the one who was first to introduce it was the one I chose to keep using. Prior to this, I would only set rides public which started and ended somewhere other than work/home.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Strava

Maybe I'm too old to comment here, but it sounds a lot like the Lycra Clad Road Riders Disease has spread to the MTB Community.
Hope they get a cure soon.
Racing is for races, riding is for riding. It IS very different.
Enjoy the Trails.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Maybe I'm too old to comment here, but it sounds a lot like the Lycra Clad Road Riders Disease has spread to the MTB Community.
Hope they get a cure soon.
Racing is for races, riding is for riding. It IS very different.
Enjoy the Trails.
See, the great thing about strava is you can choose to try hard or go easy. While fitness is determined to some extent by hours on bike, the truth is that fitter people push themselves much harder - intensity is where big gains are made , and for me , motivation for that intensity on lone training rides comes from strava

mtboer

Likes Dirt
See, the great thing about strava is you can choose to try hard or go easy. While fitness is determined to some extent by hours on bike, the truth is that fitter people push themselves much harder - intensity is where big gains are made , and for me , motivation for that intensity on lone training rides comes from strava
But you probably still ride in full control. I think what they are saying here is some people are putting STRAVA in front of people and their safety.
I get the motivation to ride quick too. I don't have the need to tell anyone. They will find out at the Nationals.
Have fun on those trails.

Oldas

Likes Dirt

Not happy Jan!
I believe that if you set your account to private only approved 'friends' can view your ride details. This keep you on local leaderboards and your privacy safe. Or am I wrong?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I believe that if you set your account to private only approved 'friends' can view your ride details. This keep you on local leaderboards and your privacy safe. Or am I wrong?
I am pretty sure you are wrong there.
Even if you have your privacy settings set so you "approve" people who request to follow, anyone can still see your rides by viewing strava segments you rode for the ride - of course people would have to know where you ride to find this out, but it is possible.

If you set a ride to "private", only the individual themselves will see the ride and it will not count towards any strava segments (ie you won't get any KOMs even if you have the fastest time for a segment).