Is Strava putting other MTB Riders and the general public at risk?

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I remember that, and I remember it was still always a race. Whether trying to drop your mate on the climb or leave him floundering on the descent. Nothings changes except now you don't have to be on the same ride for the competition to continue
Right on the money.

Knut

Troll hunter
Pretty funny when peopke have been racing their Strava times and claim it as a necessity. They sit with you in a ride and claim their awesomeness outweighs your averageness. Yet, the results page finds them at the end of B Grade. That is I the run that counts.

jimspr

Likes Bikes
iphone results

Love or hate the strava, up to the individual. But has anyone noticed strange results from the iphone?
On numerous occasions I have had friends get top 10 whilst others cant get PR's even though they are quicker.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love or hate the strava, up to the individual. But has anyone noticed strange results from the iphone?
On numerous occasions I have had friends get top 10 whilst others cant get PR's even though they are quicker.
that's the difference between a dedicated gps device and one that isn't. gps signal drift - some mtb segments that are near roads, paths etc have a spill over of gps drift that registers these guys as koms or top 10s. not much you can do except create segments that are as close to single track as possible ie good separation from road/path.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Love or hate the strava, up to the individual. But has anyone noticed strange results from the iPhone?
I've seen lots of dubious results from iPhones.
Impossible speeds and exaggerated elevation data are very common.
It's worth comparing garmin and iPhone data when 2 guys go for a ride.
The differences are quite striking.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yep, short segments are pointless, I've found iPhones data can make my segments longer than the garmin as well, particularly on straightish segments. Segments with lots of turns in either the end of the segment or start will simply give KOMs to the people who ride the segment the most and at a fast speed each time, because sooner or later a drift will cause a major part of the segment to be ignored.

The segment drift algorithms used by strava seem to be designed for road segments to be the most accurate, but the downside is they screw up lots and lots of offroad segments . Offroad really needs a different set of parameters .

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My personal favourite Strava KOM is a 1.5km hill climb at Smith's Gully which I completed in 3 seconds at an average speed of 1,797.2km/h and a vertical climbing rate of 115,440m per hour. I think that one is safe for a while.:pound:

scbullit

Likes Dirt
I've seen plenty of dodgy results from Garmins around the Canberra mtb trails - Strava just ain't that accurate so you cant be too precious about it...

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Accuracy of Garmin/Strava ETC.

Plot a Garmin course onto a real map of a MTB XC Course and see how many corners you have cut off.
You don't remember cutting all those corners. The 10.8km course is now 8.3kms.
The more corners you turn in a small area (sound like MTB XC) the more room for error.
They are great as a guide only.
You are probably riding much faster than you think.
If you rode the 8.3km course in say 30mins and it was actually 10.8kms. Do the Math.
Enjoy the training.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
This Strava thread has shed some light to an awkward situation with my dog – which has seemed very much stressed for a while now.

When I first discovered Strava about a year ago, the first thing I did was to walk around my backyard testing the functionality and GPS tracking abilities. What I did not realise at the time was that I was inadvertently creating a new segment.

Ever since then, I have heard “Strava run!” repeated in the middle of the night. For a long time now I thought it was my crazy neighbour babbling – but now I realise people are obviously jumping my fence and going for KOM in my backyard. No wonder the dog seems on edge all the time.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
New Division Name for KOM

Hey MudRhino, you have invented the KOBY. King of BackYard.
Put some signs up for quite or the track will get closed down.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
That's a thought!

Hmmm... guess next thing I should give consideration to is who has right of way - those coming down the stairs or those coming up the driveway.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
My personal favourite Strava KOM is a 1.5km hill climb at Smith's Gully which I completed in 3 seconds at an average speed of 1,797.2km/h and a vertical climbing rate of 115,440m per hour. I think that one is safe for a while.:pound:
I've had a few attempts at that one and bugger me how good of a shape were you in??

Nautonier

Eats Squid
so you could go to this site http://www.digitalepo.com/upload a tcx file tweak it and pick up a few KOMs, what does it mean SFA.
Perhaps this explains those riders at the Youis who seem to be able to ride Cressy faster than Luke Skywalker on his space-bike.

The person who created this little turd deserves a teabagging from Chewbacca. It's almost as bad as "buying your degree online". If anyone else thinks that some self-righteous wanker thinking that sabotaging Strava is going to make the world a safer place, please send an an email to: comments@digitalepo.com telling him/her/them to go piss in someone else's sandpit.

Brings us right back to the original point of this post I guess.

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Yeh I was pretty disappointed with that Digital Epo thing too.
I'm sure computer nerds have been able to do that themselves anyway but this app brings it to the masses.