Is this a joke?

moorey

call me Mia
If I was buying a new bike and it came with Sram 12 speed I would fully embrace it, but right now I'm super happy with my 'poor man's Eagle', which is an $80 Sunrace 11 - 46t cassette paired with X01 derailleur and shifter. I'm sure Sunrace and NX would work just as well, which would possibly be even cheaper than Shimano. I have an NX shifter on another bike and it is really light and crisp.
Or a Shimano shifter. Felix's bike is currently X1 mech/cassette with XT shifter.

mellow

Banned
speeds.

As a teen my 7 roadie just wouldn't wear out. downtube shifters.
8 speed mtb chains lasted. And I was younger and rode harder.
I recall it thrived on neglect as well.
9 came and went.
10 is so yesterday .
11 chains and front rings last less .
Gotta have 12 cause all the kids do.
Whatever floats your boat.
But sram shares now.
Carry a chain breaker and link.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
What's with the "what would you climb with 30/50" questions? Do you never ride up steep dirt?

I've still got 3x9 @ 44/32/22 x 11-32 on 26" bike(s) and I have used 22/32 going up some steep hills in a number of long races ... and 30/50 on a 29" is about the same ratio as 22/32 on 26"

On the other hand, 30x10 on a 29" is well short of 44x11 on 26" .. 90RPM 30x10 @ 29" is 38km/h, which seems a bit slow for an extended road/firetrail descent.

More food for thought: Shimano XT M8000 11-42 cassette has the same tooth combinations for the lower 9 rings as the 11-32 XT 9-speed (M785?) ... And the M8000 weighs something like 180 grams more, which could buy you 2 front rings and a derailleur (tho probably not a shifter and cable.)

Z

Zaf

More food for thought: Shimano XT M8000 11-42 cassette has the same tooth combinations for the lower 9 rings as the 11-32 XT 9-speed (M785?) ... And the M8000 weighs something like 180 grams more, which could buy you 2 front rings and a derailleur (tho probably not a shifter and cable.)
And move that weight to sprung, rather than unsprung.
But truthfully, the big advantage of the 1x setups is the clean cockpit and simplicity in shifting. You still need to think about which gears you're in, and not cross chaining etc. on a multiple ring setup, and there's usually some gears being made up on the rear when you switch up front due to the larger steps on that shifting.
If I could justify the cost of Di2, I would most definitely be going with a 2x/3x setup and have the front cog on auto shift, but for me, having my shifting being as pants-on-head-retarded as "press here to make pedalling easier, and press here to make pedalling harder" is the main advantage of 1x systems.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Then fill up the newly found handlebar real estate with remote lockout levers and dropper post levers :)

I'm all for 1x12 when it covers a 3x9 compact range and in a mid spec price range. Admittedly I haven't done the numbers yet but can't be too far away.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Its all getting silly. I rekon there needs to be proper development of a BB located gearbox, id buy one in a heart beat. But then all that expensive, complicated and breakable stuff sill be taken off the bike.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Its all getting silly. I rekon there needs to be proper development of a BB located gearbox, id buy one in a heart beat. But then all that expensive, complicated and breakable stuff sill be taken off the bike.
+100

Me too... it's weird that everyone is just loving putting a huge dinner plate sized lump of rotating wearing out regularly weight on the unspung rear wheel.

And move that weight to sprung, rather than unsprung.
But truthfully, the big advantage of the 1x setups is the clean cockpit and simplicity in shifting. You still need to think about which gears you're in, and not cross chaining etc. on a multiple ring setup, and there's usually some gears being made up on the rear when you switch up front due to the larger steps on that shifting.
If I could justify the cost of Di2, I would most definitely be going with a 2x/3x setup and have the front cog on auto shift, but for me, having my shifting being as pants-on-head-retarded as "press here to make pedalling easier, and press here to make pedalling harder" is the main advantage of 1x systems.
Clearly I don't enjoy mtbing on the same level as some of youse, glaven. The colours the colours children!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That is what really needs to be done, but enhancing the same old, same old is the standard mode of operation.

It all must be too hard, how about 13 speed and we will throw in another thinner chain size and some Ti cogs to save the getting portly weight and charge like wounded bulls for said Ti cog bling.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm all for 1x12 when it covers a 3x9 compact range and in a mid spec price range. Admittedly I haven't done the numbers yet but can't be too far away.
Not without another half-a-dozen sprockets in the cassette. If you want a 1x with as much overall range as a 3x but less than 18 sprockets, you're going to have holes in the mid-range you can drive a truck through. If you want a useful mid-range with sensible ratio jumps and without adding any more sprockets you're going to have to either lose a lot off the bottom end, a lot off the top end, or a bit off each end.

The other thing which none of the 1x, mega-sprocket proponents admit to is that the dinner plate sized sprocket dictates that the most sensitive components to damage - the rear derailleur - is even more exposed because is has to be slung so low to fit under the cassette.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've recently started using Eagle on my bike and this is definitely very noticeable.
The change from XX1 11 speed to 12 has resulted in a significant increase in litter being picked up by my rear derailleur. The time of year would play a little part, but I've never had to physically stop and pull sticks out like I do now.

I had a stick get wedged behind the cassette and it took about 10 minutes of trailside manipulation to remove it, it's a long way down behind the 50t

dunndog

Eats Squid
The other thing which none of the 1x, mega-sprocket proponents admit to is that the dinner plate sized sprocket dictates that the most sensitive components to damage - the rear derailleur - is even more exposed because is has to be slung so low to fit under the cassette.
That's true Mr. Duck, but 99 times out of 100 wouldn't the mega sprocket only be engaged on relatively non technical terrain? I'd imagine the power required to push through anything with the ability to snag your derailleur would need you to be up a couple more gears?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Kiss my butt sram, just bought a manitou because you wouldn't let me order rock shox.

More money flowing shimano way too on gears and brakes.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That's true Mr. Duck, but 99 times out of 100 wouldn't the mega sprocket only be engaged on relatively non technical terrain? I'd imagine the power required to push through anything with the ability to snag your derailleur would need you to be up a couple more gears?
Not necessarily. If you're crunching through an overgrown or bits-of-tree-littered bit of trail, a lower-hanging derailleur is going to be more at risk of collecting shit than a more compact one, regardless of what gear you're in.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Poor man's Eagle is just about to get a whole lot better with the release of Sunrace's 11 speed 11 - 50t cassette.

I initially read that it would be compatible with Sram 11 speed derailleurs, but sadly this is not the case. I emailed Sunrace and they told me that they are developing a derailleur especially to accomodate the 50t. Hopefully it will be an add-on cage like One UP have done, not a complete derailleur. Still, given the price of Sunrace components, I can't imagine it will break the bank.

I want to try the 50t thing, but I don't want to spend the big money of Eagle in case I don't like it.

I've recently been playing around with different chain rings (28t, 30t, 32t) and find that with a 10 - 42t cassette there's too ultimately too much compromise at one or both ends of the range. The Sunrace 11 - 46t with a 32t up front is almost there, just needs a slightly lower (granny) gear for the sustained mega steep stuff, which would be covered by a 50.

One of the many things I hate about 2x or 3x is the noise and frequent chain drops. It's all bang and clatter and you can't run a chain guide. Sure the ratios are closer together and you've got more gears than Eagle (for those fire road KOMs), but unless you've got electronically assisted shifting it's clunky as all hell switching between those front rings and having to plan your shifts. :behindsofa:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Poor man's Eagle is just about to get a whole lot better with the release of Sunrace's 11 speed 11 - 50t cassette.

I initially read that it would be compatible with Sram 11 speed derailleurs, but sadly this is not the case. I emailed Sunrace and they told me that they are developing a derailleur especially to accomodate the 50t. Hopefully it will be an add-on cage like One UP have done, not a complete derailleur. Still, given the price of Sunrace components, I can't imagine it will break the bank.

I want to try the 50t thing, but I don't want to spend the big money of Eagle in case I don't like it.

I've recently been playing around with different chain rings (28t, 30t, 32t) and find that with a 10 - 42t cassette there's too ultimately too much compromise at one or both ends of the range. The Sunrace 11 - 46t with a 32t up front is almost there, just needs a slightly lower (granny) gear for the sustained mega steep stuff, which would be covered by a 50.

One of the many things I hate about 2x or 3x is the noise and frequent chain drops. It's all bang and clatter and you can't run a chain guide. Sure the ratios are closer together and you've got more gears than Eagle (for those fire road KOMs), but unless you've got electronically assisted shifting it's clunky as all hell switching between those front rings and having to plan your shifts. :behindsofa:
Some frames drop chains more than others, You just got to be smart about gear selection. If I hit really rough stuff I select the middle ring and then if it drops, it normally climbs back on easy.

I done a 70km ride with a group of friends and the last leg was about 10ks of undulating dirt road and they all told me how good this 1x was, well it turned out pretty bad for them.

Yep, the clanging is annoying for everybody.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Electronic shifting... way of the future ;) It is as good as everyone says!
Have had Di2 on the MTB for about 6 weeks now after having it on the road for 2 years. No dropped chains, no spinning out gears on the fire road and having 2 more gears for when it turns upwards is bliss and being able to spin when the guys I ride with are trying to turn the cranks at 60rpm...