Ivanhoe dirt jumps need few seconds of your time

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
It's also really hard to cater for all skill levels.
If he'd made them all tabletops there would only be 4 big jumps.

Anyways, I'm thinking of heading out there again tomorrow early arvo, to have a real go at jumping them before they no longer exist.
Hope he's left the place unlocked!
Was down there the other day, no more chains so you should be right.

moorey

call me Mia
Where does someone get off chaining off runs on illegal jumps on council land? Didn't see that approved anywhere in the arbitrary 'rule' list.
Serious question. Isn't it like putting up a warning that your dog bites...leaving you MORE liable if it bites someone, because you acknowledge that it's dangerous and aren't actually addressing the problem...?

atschool

Likes Bikes
Where does someone get off chaining off runs on illegal jumps on council land? Didn't see that approved anywhere in the arbitrary 'rule' list.
Serious question. Isn't it like putting up a warning that your dog bites...leaving you MORE liable if it bites someone, because you acknowledge that it's dangerous and aren't actually addressing the problem...?
Well, I think there's probably two ways to look at it:

1) you're preventing kids/lesser skilled riders from trying the jumps and axing themselves

2) you're keeping the jumps (on public land) for yourself and your mates with keys

It probably is a combination of the two, with point 2 possibly being the main motivator

Chaining your jumps on public land is pretty selfish in my opinion. Especially when you've asked the wider riding public for support to save your trails…. Hope the chains have been removed.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
I haven't been down since the ride day (both my bikes are broken), but I'll ask what's going on. So there was no covers for the jumps either?

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chains are pretty standard for dirt jumps.

• Dirt jumpers (especially BMXers) tend to have a "no dig no ride" philosophy, and it is incredibly rude to ride the jumps without sweeping and watering. Nobby tires are also not welcome. Some of it seems anal, but it's a valid approach for keeping dirt lips in good condition and reducing the amount of maintenance required. Chains are typically used when there is a suspicion that other local riders do not understand these principles.

• MTBers tend to have a "I'm gonna rock up at a public trail and shred it however I want because that's my god-given right" kind of attitude.

At the end of the day, chains are only a problem if you're not willing to develop a relationship with the local trail crew. Yeah, it seems like a radical and rude move, but it can be a necessary evil.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt

• Dirt jumpers (especially BMXers) tend to have a "no dig no ride" philosophy, and it is incredibly rude to ride the jumps without sweeping and watering. Nobby tires are also not welcome. Some of it seems anal, but it's a valid approach for keeping dirt lips in good condition and reducing the amount of maintenance required. Chains are typically used when there is a suspicion that other local riders do not understand these principles.

• MTBers tend to have a "I'm gonna rock up at a public trail and shred it however I want because that's my god-given right" kind of attitude.

At the end of the day, chains are only a problem if you're not willing to develop a relationship with the local trail crew. Yeah, it seems like a radical and rude move, but it can be a necessary evil.
Most logical thing said on this thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert

well that is a positive and proactive statement which goes along way to building collaboration for improved access for the area. Who do you think has built and maintained over 50kms of off road trails along the Yarra. Who do you think is lobbying government and stakeholders to improve access and build a relationship well into the future. You obviously have no need to manage stakeholders or a desire for anything outside your narrow selfish piles of dirt.

I don't personally give a shit about your bmx jumps and have always gone out of my way to met the diggers and discuss the strategy for the entire area. It aint like it is my god given right to ride what ever I want on dirt. I am more concerned with attitudes/ behaviours, exclusion and a belief that you can build what you want on public land and stick the finger to everyone else.

It is this attitude that lumps all off road cyclist in the same bucket and makes stakeholders want to run in the other direction.

there were a lot of people who used to ride the jumps before they were built up. It is obvious that they are now designed for bmx and that is cool with me (perhaps not the original builders) - great you have somewhere to ride but please consider the long term strategy for the area and the work that is being done (by mostly MTBers) with parks and council to improve access, trails and relationships. It strikes me that it is in fact you that feel you have the god given right to do whatever the fuck you want. I don't believe it is the MTBing community that have an issue with BMX jumps being built- go for it- we all love dirt - just consider the bigger picture please as what you do and how you behave effects us all.

atschool

Likes Bikes

Typical BMX vs. MTB bullshit. Fact of the matter is there are groups of riders from both disciplines that respect/don't respect trails. I'd go so far as to say that ability is a bigger determiner of the level of respect for trails as opposed to wheel size - in other words, better riders will generally dig more/do more maintenance/not dumb down jumps etc. Accordingly, only the better riders hit the bigger trails and as they're more likely to show greater respect for trails, this fear of people trashing your groomed trails is largely unfounded.

The jumps discussed in this thread is a case in point. Known about by many mountain bikers for a long time, but not trashed, either because they couldn't do them, or they were good riders that respected the jumps.

Don't get me wrong, people 'dumbing down' jumps is a big problem. But this is not something unique to mountain bikers, I've seen BMXers do this too. Chains may go some ways to mitigate this behaviour, but at the end of the day, if people want to fuck with your trails, they will. In some cases, chains might be a red rag to a bull. You build on public land, you take the risk.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt

well that is a positive and proactive statement which goes along way to building collaboration for improved access for the area. Who do you think has built and maintained over 50kms of off road trails along the Yarra. Who do you think is lobbying government and stakeholders to improve access and build a relationship well into the future. You obviously have no need to manage stakeholders or a desire for anything outside your narrow selfish piles of dirt.

I don't personally give a shit about your bmx jumps and have always gone out of my way to met the diggers and discuss the strategy for the entire area. It aint like it is my god given right to ride what ever I want on dirt. I am more concerned with attitudes/ behaviours, exclusion and a belief that you can build what you want on public land and stick the finger to everyone else.

It is this attitude that lumps all off road cyclist in the same bucket and makes stakeholders want to run in the other direction.

there were a lot of people who used to ride the jumps before they were built up. It is obvious that they are now designed for bmx and that is cool with me (perhaps not the original builders) - great you have somewhere to ride but please consider the long term strategy for the area and the work that is being done (by mostly MTBers) with parks and council to improve access, trails and relationships. It strikes me that it is in fact you that feel you have the god given right to do whatever the fuck you want. I don't believe it is the MTBing community that have an issue with BMX jumps being built- go for it- we all love dirt - just consider the bigger picture please as what you do and how you behave effects us all.
Why does the relationship with the council/parks need to be improved regarding the jumps? They knew about them for 7 years... Apparently... and they were fine with it

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Why does the relationship with the council/parks need to be improved regarding the jumps? They knew about them for 7 years... Apparently... and they were fine with it
Because with a stroke of a pen they can have them destroyed. And the jumps have not been like they are now for 7 years. The builders chose to ignore any directions given by the authorities and then cry foul when they push back.
"Oh please help us. The council is going to bulldoze our illegal jumps built on public environmentally and culturally sensitive land".

Big JD

Wheel size expert
what are you 13 years old- you come across as a complete ............................

Last edited:

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Because with a stroke of a pen they can have them destroyed. And the jumps have not been like they are now for 7 years. The builders chose to ignore any directions given by the authorities and then cry foul when they push back.
"Oh please help us. The council is going to bulldoze our illegal jumps built on public environmentally and culturally sensitive land".
Oh yeah I forgot about that. It kind of is their fault for not keeping their part of the deal with the council but still that doesn't mean we should just let them get destroyed

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Oh yeah I forgot about that. It kind of is their fault for not keeping their part of the deal with the council but still that doesn't mean we should just let them get destroyed
why not- it aint like anyone uses them anymore (oh 4 people) and now that you have told the world where they are for your family fun day- I doubt they will see out Christmas. What's the bet someone changes them so they get ridden.

moorey

call me Mia
Ok, so I've never been to the place (my dirt jumping days are behind me), and know nothing about their history, other than what's been discussed on here. Am I to take it that:

-There have been jumps there for many years.
-The jumps were regularly used
-The jumps were doable by most
-Jumps were know, but tolerated by Council
-Jumps were recently rebuilt
-Jumps are now impossible for 98% of riders
-Jumps have been chained off by the builders, to only allow select friends to ride them at select times
-Jumps are/were now under threat of demolition form council.

What did I miss? :noidea:

Last edited: