Jehovah's witnesses at my door and the evolution of boobies

moorey

call me Mia
It's not a theory that religion has been/is used to control the masses. The bible was never meant to be read by the masses though, only those in power, so that they could deliver the message they wanted. Trouble ensued in the 1500's when the bible was translated into accessible languages.
Very few Christians know what's in it anyway, aside from the fire and brimstone of Liviticus and snippets of the New Testament they hear in church.....so it's no wonder they are still living in the dark ages.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This is only a theory but is based on logic from what we do know about documented cultures......
Yeah, I mean I get your point and there is a possibility that's the way it went but in the end we really are only guessing at it. And I guess that's why I responded. People assert that religion was created to control the masses as if it's a fact but we really don't and could never know - all we can do is theorise.

It's not a theory that religion has been/is used to control the masses. The bible was never meant to be read by the masses though, only those in power, so that they could deliver the message they wanted. Trouble ensued in the 1500's when the bible was translated into accessible languages.
I know you know but keep in mind that Christianity is only but one of the many religions. And if it to be true, the bible may not have been 'meant' to be read by the masses (the masses couldn't read) but it was also written a long time after the death of Jesus, who if it all be true, preached to the masses.

When we talk about religion we are also talking about Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, animism etc. and even to a degree we are referencing belief systems such as Buddhism, etc. So to say that "religion" was designed to control the masses we are making a statement that covers a huge geographical area, a huge expanse of time and billions and billions of people.

In my opinion it's a stretch to be able to make generalisations over something so huge that happened so long ago well before written history.

moorey

call me Mia
I'll also generalise further and day that at least most Muslims and Jews at least know their own literature better. Ask most Christians about God being thwarted by iron chariots, smashing babies on rocks, not cutting hair, not mixing cloths, not planting different seeds in the same field....not to mention the erotic filth in Song of Solomon, and you can almost see the flies buzzing round their heads.

RUDENESS

Likes Dirt
I saw the wink, but generally, religious people seem to do things out of church expectations, not individual desire. Not saying this is you or your church. I was bought up strictly christian, btw, and have completed post graduate studies in biblical and religious studies. I am qualified to teach religious studies as well. I am surrounded by religious friends and family, albeit predominately protestant.
So Moorey, with all your studies within the Christian bible could you please EXPLAIN to us GOD's / JESUS main message to mankind from the bible, in it's most simple way. I by the way am a Christian, someone who has faith in Jesus. I don't knock on people's doors or hassle people about their belief in something or not, I just have faith in Christ and live a quiet life.
If people ask me about my faith, I have no problem talking about Jesus, but I believe people have free will to make up their own mind about things.
I have a Christian friend in the Goldy hinterland who is 83 years old, and has been a Christian for 60 years, he always helps me with any questions I have regarding the bible, and makes our faith simple to understand.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Then you're not the sort of religious person I'm talking about.
What is gods/Jesus message in the bible? I don't think there is just one. There's countless contradictions on the OT, and then it's flipped on it's head in the NT. No two versions are the same either, not to mention 30,000 different denominations of Christianity who all disagree on what the bible means and how we should live our lives.
Im no theologian, and don't claim to be. I have tried my best to forget everything I was taught as a kid, and only undertook further study so that I could teach in private schools. I ended up teaching RE for 9 months before walking out of that school into a govt school.

Sorry if I came off heavy handed, I have no problem with religious people, but I do with organized religion as a whole.

Im going to weigh out of this conversation. It never ends well for anyone when an opinionated man with a big mouth gets on his high horse.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I laugh when a person is asked to put their hand on the Bible in a court (for example) and swear on the bible to tell the truth. It's pretty safe to assume that a person who gives zero fucks about the bible is almost being given permission to lie. Ironically, some people see the Bible/s as the biggest lies ever told.

moorey

call me Mia
I laugh when a person is asked to put their hand on the Bible in a court (for example) and swear on the bible to tell the truth. It's pretty safe to assume that a person who gives zero fucks about the bible is almost being given permission to lie. Ironically, some people see the Bible/s as the biggest lies ever told.
You can ask for an alternative if you give fucks, but the point is that its perjury regardless of the non existent threat of going to hell.
As per the second part of your post....must....not......say....anything.....:behindsofa:

Beej1

...There's countless contradictions on the OT...
Here are said contradictions represented graphically:
http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/a-visual-representation-of-biblical-contradictions/

Perhaps the result of too many authors & too many 'revisions' over the past few thousand years?

My theory is a dude called Jesus existed, was a 'faith healer' (read:hypnotist), was popular, had a bunch of followers, pissed off the wrong people for his views on religion etc and died on the cross. He most definitely didn't rise from the dead, but I reckon it would make for a good flashback episode in The Walking Dead ... "Jesus: The First Zombie".

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Last time I was in court I said no to the bible crap, I gave an affirmation instead.

I should have demanded as a one eyed Pastarfarian, a pasta strainer to swear an oath on to my God - the glorious flying spaghetti monster, which no one can prove doesn't exist.

Why don't we knock on other peoples doors to spread our dogma? we respect other peoples beliefs... and have better things to do.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Last time I was in court I said no to the bible crap, I gave an affirmation instead.

I should have demanded as a one eyed Pastarfarian, a pasta strainer to swear an oath on to my God - the glorious flying spaghetti monster, which no one can prove doesn't exist.

Why don't we knock on other peoples doors to spread our dogma? we respect other peoples beliefs... and have better things to do.
... Like have your religious headgear accepted as appropriate for a licence photo

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-14135523

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I can't believe I haven't joined this church yet. I could be a high priest!

And thankyou for letting me find out about it on my own, and not knocking on my door.

stirk

Burner
Angerrrr rising......Scottt sssmmmmash thread reminded of this thread.

No door knocks for me lately....

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Angerrrr rising......Scottt sssmmmmash thread reminded of this thread.

No door knocks for me lately....
Should see less of it due to recent issues, plus some issues in Russia for them. It's all about iPads and street corners now.

Easiest way is to tell them if they've considered islam. Majority can't process it or anger rises so they walk away..

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Kingdom hall down the road from Mrs. ultra’s place, I’ll remember that next time they swing round. I’ve gotten tired of my other tricks

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Kingdom hall down the road from Mrs. ultra’s place, I’ll remember that next time they swing round. I’ve gotten tired of my other tricks
A good one for when the religious pests come knocking is to tell them that "I have already been saved". Not sure if the JWs use that terminology or if it works on them.
I used to tell the local JWs that I was a Buddhist. or just to F off. or to F off because I was a Buddhist. same same.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Underwear only when opening the door. Works for all those who come knowing except the police and the most determined of energy salespeople.