Just got back from work

Hopper

Likes Dirt
has anybody noticed this? it looks like there is a perfect sphere burried in the ground.
I'm trying to think where that is, I think it's the armmchair. When the light is right the shadows make that structure look like an Armchair from Coulthards Lookout. I am yet to see a picture of it that gives it justice.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
If I'm working offshore there's usually not much scenery for me, but we do get the occasional visit from some big arse sea creatures...

Pod of Dolphins, Angola 2006

Another pod of dolphins and a couple of humpback whales, Angola 2007

Whales and dolphins again, Angola 2007

Angola's a pretty cool place for wildlife and fortunately on that contract we were living on-shore, so we also got to hang out with...
Monkeys

Jackals

Snakes

and lots and lots of cats

Alas, that job came to an end this year and I've now got to actually work for a living. bastard, eh?

murrum

Banned
Negligible surface impacts, after rehabilitation of course :p

My specialty is surface subsidence, its prediction and optimisation of mine design to minimise surface impacts. Properly designed crown pillars in a metal mine will result in zero surface subsidence. Of course there is all the surface infrastructure, tailings dams, waste stockpiles, the prep plant etc etc, but at the end of the operation, thats all dismantled and the area rehabilitated over the next 10 or 20 years. I'm sure you know more about that than me, as I remember reading you were an enviro.
Yeah, havent done much mine stuff though, some subsidence impacts on creek lines in the Hunter (existing and proposed LW mines). And some of the guys I work with are involved in rehabilitation of some mines in Kalimantan - wetlands and long term tailings treatment. Interesting stuff.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Yeah, havent done much mine stuff though, some subsidence impacts on creek lines in the Hunter (existing and proposed LW mines). And some of the guys I work with are involved in rehabilitation of some mines in Kalimantan - wetlands and long term tailings treatment. Interesting stuff.
Thats basically what I did my PhD on - longwall impacts on river valleys, and coming up with an explanation why there is movement in river valleys up to 1000m away from a current longwall. Its all very interesting, as my research has shot down the currently used conceptual models.

Last edited:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst we are on the wildlife at work theme (well, sort of...), this is a Perente hanging outside my room on Barrow Island happily digesting a Golden Bandicoot from the previous nights hunt. Little bugger woke me with it's squealing in the early hours as the Perente had a snack.

OFFS get off the road , we'll be late back to the mess for fish and chip lunch.

I had the unfortunate experience of taking a waaaayyyy overdue piss in a darkened corner of the lease and realising that one of these was two feet away. Now I ALWAYS use the emergency shower/toilet.

Attachments

Last edited:

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this is a Perente hanging outside my room
I was about to let rip a massive "Git farked you moron", until I saw you were on Barrow Island and that it really was a Perentie. The vast majority of people who see "Perenties" actually see Sand Monitors. I crack a fat everytime I see them, luckily enough I have two in my lounge room :)

I'm going to send a few of you mining lads a PM. I may have a fun opportunity for you, and you may be able to help me pay my mortgage off faster :)

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I crack a fat everytime I see them, luckily enough I have two in my lounge room :)

:)
You have two in your loungeroom. Don't they want to eat each other, never mind having to trim their nails?:D
Must be a talking point though.
Yes, this one is Bill and that one is Ben and I promise you they are as gentle as week old lambs.

I had a Possum 'climb me' as I was seated and having a fizzy drink and some snacks at the dimly lit 'beer garden', much to the amusement of onlookers:eek:
Wallabies in laundries, Bandicoots in bathrooms, pushy persistent Possums, schizoid Sharks, wallowing Whales, perculiar PhD people poking and proding.............anyone recommend a reputable publishing house for childrens books?

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately Thursday was my last day with Marine Mammals, however I have a fair bit of work over the holidays with visitor services at Taronga... people suck. Here's a few of me saying goodbye to work friends after my last shift.

However the first task with my new job in February is to fly to Cairns and drive up tot he gulf country to sample lizards and frogs for the museum. Should get some good shots I hope on that trip.

As for mines in pristine wilderness, I'm not sold, especially after the Jabiluka fuck ups and associated bird kills due to tailings dam contaminants...

Hopper

Likes Dirt
Well I got back from my second stint yesterday around 7pm and Ihave two more photos I'll add.

Here is the sandstorm I was stuck in while while driving, then at the base camp then an open air strip for an hour (note that the temperature was still around 35 at the time)

And keeping in suit with how the thread has gone, a yellow foot rock wallaby I got a photo of on the other day.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
I start vac work at an underground gold mine in Jan. When I was doing my safety induction tour thing, we were walking around at about 900m underground. The tour leader guy was leading the way, we turned the corner and sitting in the middle of the drive was a rock the size of a LandCruiser, and he was like "Fuck! That wasn't here yesterday!"

So yes things do fall down in underground mines.

As for wildlife, I didn't see a thing. Apparently though when the long lengths of Poly pipe are sitting on the surface, snakes will climb in to warm up, but then when the poly pipes are taken underground the snakes go with them. I don't think they would last long:(