Kids Balance Bikes

takai

Eats Squid
If it helps at all, here's the little fella at Lysty on a cruzee. Running air tyres, but it doesn't make a real difference (only weight). He's 3.5, been on it since about Christmas 2013, and he still whinges on the uphill part of the same trail even though the bike weighs about the same as a cotton bud. He'll be going straight from the cruzee onto a 16" early rider belter, but I reckon he'll keep riding the cruzee on rough terrain while the pedal bike gets used on smooth places.
Thanks angrybadger... look at what you made me do:

Seriously though, it was your post and video that tipped me over the edge. Grabbed it at lunchtime today and he wanted to play with it all afternoon. By about his fourth or fifth go he could stand and walk/scoot on it. This is before he is even walking properly (he can take a couple of steps before falling over). He has no idea how to turn or steer, and the seat is slammed for him to use it, but thats ok.

Great buy. :first:

angrybadger

Likes Dirt

Seriously though, it was your post and video that tipped me over the edge. Grabbed it at lunchtime today and he wanted to play with it all afternoon. By about his fourth or fifth go he could stand and walk/scoot on it. This is before he is even walking properly (he can take a couple of steps before falling over). He has no idea how to turn or steer, and the seat is slammed for him to use it, but thats ok.

Pleased to be of assistance!
Enjoy the bike, riding with your kids is the best thing. If you're in the Melbourne area, the Trailmix trail at Lysty is perfect for balance bikes with dads.

takai

Eats Squid
Pleased to be of assistance!
Enjoy the bike, riding with your kids is the best thing. If you're in the Melbourne area, the Trailmix trail at Lysty is perfect for balance bikes with dads.
Yeah, i head out to Lysty occasionally, so the Trailmix area will be good. Although i think ill wait until he can walk first... ;)

stirk

Burner

Maybe if you straighten the bars it might be easier for him!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
SoI have the cruzee like above. Was thinking I'd make an ice cream container(or whatever)plastic shield for the tyre where my girls feet might want to go on the chain stays. Was also going to put some rubber water proof grip tap on the top of the stays. Silly ideas?

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
SoI have the cruzee like above. Was thinking I'd make an ice cream container(or whatever)plastic shield for the tyre where my girls feet might want to go on the chain stays. Was also going to put some rubber water proof grip tap on the top of the stays. Silly ideas?
I think you are over thinking it. My kids learnt the balance thing really quickly but never wanted to rest their feet on the frame. They just keep em dangled....

Others might be different

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I think you are over thinking it. My kids learnt the balance thing really quickly but never wanted to rest their feet on the frame. They just keep em dangled....

Others might be different
I'm going off a mates advice who said be sure to get one they can put their feet on, once they learn to roll with moment they use it heaps. Without them I'm sure they'd be fine, but I want the feet up balancing if available. Gotta help. But yeah, probably doesn't make too much difference, or, it could make them a world cup rider or not though, who knows aye. LOL. Hmmmmm, the chance to ride bikes for money, hmmmmmmmmmm.

takai

Eats Squid
Im probably goign to put a bit of skateboard grip tape on a couple of spots and be done with it. Oh and perhaps some little helicopter tape swatches on the bits of the fork/chainstays that regularly hit the ground.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ice cream container wouldn't be strong enough, you'd need to use aluminium. I personally wouldn't bother. My boy might put his feet up for 30m per ride at most. He'd survive without foot rests.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I'm going off a mates advice who said be sure to get one they can put their feet on, once they learn to roll with moment they use it heaps. Without them I'm sure they'd be fine, but I want the feet up balancing if available. Gotta help. But yeah, probably doesn't make too much difference, or, it could make them a world cup rider or not though, who knows aye. LOL. Hmmmmm, the chance to ride bikes for money, hmmmmmmmmmm.
Grip tape is a good idea, better than nothing. The Strider had grip tape on the stays. My boy would use it but would have a tendancy to slip off esp when things got rough or doing tricks. He'll always grab sis's Splesh with the foot platforms.

At the end of the day, they're on runners for such a short time. Once they get riding and if they're big enough, you'd be getting them on a peddaler anyhow.... That's when the $$$$ start flying out the door :)

takai

Eats Squid
Grip tape is a good idea, better than nothing. The Strider had grip tape on the stays. My boy would use it but would have a tendancy to slip off esp when things got rough or doing tricks. He'll always grab sis's Splesh with the foot platforms.

At the end of the day, they're on runners for such a short time. Once they get riding and if they're big enough, you'd be getting them on a peddaler anyhow.... That's when the $$$$ start flying out the door :)
Still smaller amounts compared to the $ that most of us spend on bikes.

cborwn92

Squid
I have seen a lot of kids who rode balance bikes when they were young and not are absolutely killing it on trails, i believe it is because it teaches the little man about how to steer and balance on two wheels so when the jump onto a proper bike it isn't such a big learning curve for them.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have seen a lot of kids who rode balance bikes when they were young and not are absolutely killing it on trails, i believe it is because it teaches the little man about how to steer and balance on two wheels so when the jump onto a proper bike it isn't such a big learning curve for them.
Is that NOT supposed to be in there?

Bought my 18 month old daughter the DK a couple of weeks ago. She already loves it and is going to the bike room to grab it each day.
Great product and well built. Very happy with the purchase

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
I'd never really thought about this until you mentioned it so I started asking my kid to see if he could do it. It took a few attempts but he now does it all the time without prompting and seems pretty comfortable. I didn't make any adjustments to the Cruzee, he just figures out where to put his feet without rubbing the tyre. It might depend on shoes - his trainers have a dent in the middle of the sole and I think that sits nicely on the (chain??)stay. Flat soles could be more of a challenge.

santacruzkid

Likes Dirt
Care to weigh it to settle any disputes.
Bought my 18 month old daughter the DK a couple of weeks ago. She already loves it and is going to the bike room to grab it each day.
Great product and well built. Very happy with the purchase
Have one of these also for my little one. loves it, well built, not too bad on weight and very solid. so far going well.

Last edited: